• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 K1300s lower engine fairing paint code

beanpole

Does anyone know what type of paint is used on 2010 K1300s lower engine fairings and side mirrors? The finish feels like a rubber coating, flat black. It can be scratched off with a finger nail. I called two BMW dealers and neither knew what it is. ColorRite also did not know what it is. If I paint it with flat black paint I will need to remove what is on there now.

Does anyone know what type of paint is used on 2010 K1300s lower engine fairings and side mirrors? The finish feels like a rubber coating, flat black. It can be scratched off with a finger nail. I called two BMW dealers and neither knew what it is. ColorRite also did not know what it is. If I paint it with flat black paint I will need to remove what is on there now.

I have no idea what BMW used but if I wanted to recover it I would use spray-can truck bed liner. You would not be able to scratch it with a fingernail. I did the fuel tank, top case (trunk) and panniers (saddle bags) with it on my original K75FT.

This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish. Did you get your bike new? If no, perhaps its been painted. :dunno

This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish.

Same with all the K1300S bikes I have seen except the 2012 HP which had a blue belly pan.

Welcome to the site beanpole.
Can you post a picture of the bike?

I have no idea what BMW used but if I wanted to recover it I would use spray-can truck bed liner. You would not be able to scratch it with a fingernail. I did the fuel tank, top case (trunk) and panniers (saddle bags) with it on my original K75FT.

That's an idea though I think bed liner may be too thick.lower fairing.jpg

This may or may not help but the belly pan and mirrors on my K1200S are black plastic. Unpainted. They all have a satin finish. Did you get your bike new? If no, perhaps its been painted. :dunno

I brought the bike used. It appears to be all original and no damage history until the kick stand tucked under and it fell. Left mirror.jpg.
There is defiantly a coating of some kind on the plastic.

They make a thinner coating bedliner spray I tried with success. Satin appearance, not heavy textured

Maybe a Krylon product?

Ouch on the side stand mishap

They make a thinner coating bedliner spray I tried with success. Satin appearance, not heavy textured

Maybe a Krylon product?

Ouch on the side stand mishap

Thanks, I will check it out and will post how it turns out with whatever I use.

I painted my 07 k1200gt belly fairing & clutch cover shield at least 10 years ago. I used Rustoleum truck bed coating, it is not very thick like some of the bed liners, has a slightly rough texture like 220 grit sandpaper. It adheres well to plastic, I've sprayed it at car washes with no problem. I've also painted my saddle bag lids on the k75, & r100rs. Also did the plastic cladding on a Chevy Avalanche.

I painted my 07 k1200gt belly fairing & clutch cover shield at least 10 years ago. I used Rustoleum truck bed coating, it is not very thick like some of the bed liners, has a slightly rough texture like 220 grit sandpaper. It adheres well to plastic, I've sprayed it at car washes with no problem. I've also painted my saddle bag lids on the k75, & r100rs. Also did the plastic cladding on a Chevy Avalanche.

I used a similar product from Duplicolor on my K75FT expanded fuel tank, and Harley FLH topcase. In the process I discovered that if I sprayed from about 6 inches away it was quite smooth but if I backed the can away to 9 to 12 inches it became sort of gritty (from splatter I think). It was impervious to gasoline, car washes, scratching, etc.

Attachments

• K75T.jpg
    K75T.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 61
I used a similar product from Duplicolor on my K75FT expanded fuel tank, and Harley FLH topcase. In the process I discovered that if I sprayed from about 6 inches away it was quite smooth but if I backed the can away to 9 to 12 inches it became sort of gritty (from splatter I think). It was impervious to gasoline, car washes, scratching, etc.

I think I have found the solution, a product called Plasti-Dip spray. It is a rubberized paint that can be peeled off if it needs to be removed. I have tried it on plastic surfaces and I am working on perfecting a smooth finish. Many very light coats. I am going to try Rust-Oleum Vinyl wrap. Stay Turned.

You can find this information by connecting an OBDII reader and the MotoScan app to your bike. Just about every spec for your VIN number can be identified on your bike that is OEM factory spec.

Back