• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100 ignition sensor oil seal

walt3022

I understand that BMW has used different oil seals behind the HES. I'm aware of the garden variety oil seal that has a spring to tension the sealing lip; I've also seen a different design that apparently has no spring but a number of concentric ridges and seems to be made of a plastic-type material. My question is: does it really matter which seal one uses? This seal is a common size and can be ordered in many parts stores. TIA for your thoughts.

I understand that BMW has used different oil seals behind the HES. I'm aware of the garden variety oil seal that has a spring to tension the sealing lip; I've also seen a different design that apparently has no spring but a number of concentric ridges and seems to be made of a plastic-type material. My question is: does it really matter which seal one uses? This seal is a common size and can be ordered in many parts stores. TIA for your thoughts.

yes it does matter, but you are like everyone else. something goes wrong and you have intent. whether to do something to fix it or make it something else. The right one is usually experimental which means it may or may not work. off the shelf springs ones may or may not work, but if your careful you can remove the spring, undo the chinese fingerpull if your careful and shorten it. how much is questionable. the shorter the spring the more seal, but too much causes shaft wear.
Over time, ie engine mfg shafts are made different or can be which will effect wear.

maybe you should be writing stories like the monthly magazine.
The old harley writer finally saved enough money to buy a new one. was oh so proud he was able to drive it home and park it. something she always wanted.
the next day he came out looked at it. went immediately in and called the dealer! you sob you sold me an immitation.
It doesn't leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Permit me to restate my question(s). Can someone who has installed one or both designs of the crank oil seal comment on that? How did the installation go? Did you set the seals dry? With a dab of oil? Use a special tool? Can you share any other insights that you think are relevant? TIA

Hello, I've replaced that seal on at least two of my K bikes. Not because they were leaking, but because I had the cover off to replace the timing chain or what ever and since I had the cover off I may as well replace the seal. I've always used the factory part.

Regards,

Richard

Commerce Township, MI

Back