• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, These Plastic Tabs have officially pi$$ed me off...

Tangent Alert!!

It seems that there is some sense to the varying depth of the "shoulders" related to the number of layers of tupperware the screw hold together.

Short Shoulder - One layer
Med Shoulder - 2 layers
Long Shoulder - 3 layers

No shoulder screws are usually not coming into contact with tupperware and are in places that are not visible once the bike is fully assembled.

I know this is a bit simplified but I think it holds true for most of the screws.

My question is: How can BMW get away with charging almost $3/screw, other than the fact that they are BMW logo'd?

Ski

I’m colorblind and too cheap for Tupperware, so I depend upon old muffin and biscuit pans that I pick up at the local thrift store. A lot of old cookie sheets and shallow baking pans in the mix, too.

Best,
DeVern

I have a 2017 GSA and Annie has 2017 GS. I use a Sharpie to label each hole that is covered when assembled, with a code for the fastener that goes in the hole. For example SC for a short collared screw. If the hole is visible after assembly I put a piece of painter's tape adjacent to the hole and write the code on the tape. I must admit that despite my best efforts I probably have the wrong fasteners in some holes. It doesn't appear to cause an issue so long as collared screws are put where they belong, and those holes are easy to identify. I am sometimes mystfied why different length fasteners are used in some holes. In the overwhelming majority of the holes a medium length fastner would work just fine.

I know a couple of people who have a parts diagram enlarged and pasted to cardboard. There is a hole by every fastener displayed on the diagram where the place fasteners as they are removed during disassembly. I have not followed this path; my tendancy towards OCD is at times overcome by my laziness.

I’m colorblind and too cheap for Tupperware, so I depend upon old muffin and biscuit pans that I pick up at the local thrift store. A lot of old cookie sheets and shallow baking pans in the mix, too.

Best,
DeVern

My father was colorblind. I never knew why battery cables were black and red until I was in college...........

Along with the tabs breaking, and a headlight bulb that usually has to be replaced in a NAPA parking lot miles from home... The work involved with changing the air filter on my 2016 RT is a little excessive.

Every time I dutifully swapped in a new air filter w/ the 12K service I could not help but notice there was no measurable restriction in these 'dirty' air filters and wondered why I was throwing these away. I am doing every 24K miles now which should be ample. If I lived in a dust bowl that would be a different story perhaps.

Every time I dutifully swapped in a new air filter w/ the 12K service I could not help but notice there was no measurable restriction in these 'dirty' air filters and wondered why I was throwing these away. I am doing every 24K miles now which should be ample. If I lived in a dust bowl that would be a different story perhaps.

I'n not saying you're wrong but I'm the nerdy type who wants to know: how did you determine "no measurable restriction?

I'n not saying you're wrong but I'm the nerdy type who wants to know: how did you determine "no measurable restriction?

Can't attest to that filter specifically but do recall tests don by Don Eilenberger (I think it was Don) with K75/K100 filters. He used some type of vacuum setup and found that a K filter 50% obstructed with Saran Wrap still passed more air than needed by the engine. And the dirtiest one he could find passed even more air than that. On my K75s riding paved roads almost all the time unless in a campground I change every 50,000 miles or so.

Because they have us by the balls!

Where else are you going to buy those screws?

Oh please....

Apparently you guys have never bought Ducati parts.

e.g. Rubber washer that goes under the valve cover securing nuts - $8.41 each. And you need 12. Recommended they be changed every time you check valves. That's 100 bucks just for rubber washers. :banghead

I do them every second checkup.

Oh please....

Apparently you guys have never bought Ducati parts.

e.g. Rubber washer that goes under the valve cover securing nuts - $8.41 each. And you need 12. Recommended they be changed every time you check valves. That's 100 bucks just for rubber washers. :banghead

I do them every second checkup.

BC1100S,

For possible future reference, this thread shows the location of the plastic tabs on your R1250RS panels,
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...-Cradle-from-a-R1200RS&highlight=r1200RS+tabs

Someone needs to post a picture of the sadist who designed this attachment system. Also have him listed on local community message boards in case he moves into your neighbourhood. There's no telling what other horrible crimes this person is capable of.

It was the intern one afternoon during Oktoberfest. :banghead

Someone needs to post a picture of the sadist who designed this attachment system. Also have him listed on local community message boards in case he moves into your neighbourhood. There's no telling what other horrible crimes this person is capable of.

Desktop computer cases have some similar tab in slot arrangements. Of course, computers are disposable items...

Most likely he/she is now two or three rungs higher on the corporate ladder with BMW or some other automotive corporation. Resume reads, in part: "Developed innovative mounting system for critical body components on technology leading motorcycle that resulted in a savings in manufacturing costs of 0.021% per unit and an increase in parts sales of 2.54% per unit after initial sale."

Most likely he/she is now two or three rungs higher on the corporate ladder with BMW or some other automotive corporation. Resume reads, in part: "Developed innovative mounting system for critical body components on technology leading motorcycle that resulted in a savings in manufacturing costs of 0.021% per unit and an increase in parts sales of 2.54% per unit after initial sale."

:thumb :scratch :banghead :wave

FINALLY!! Someone explains it!!!

Thanks,
:banghead

Guess what?

Desktop computer cases have some similar tab in slot arrangements. Of course, computers are disposable items...

Guess what gang! So is your motorcycle!

BMW doesn't want customers to be like me. I bought one BMW bike in 1984 new and never another. NO! they want people to buy every three years or 36K miles!

Those of us who keep bikes beyond this point are lucky they even make spare parts available at Bite My Wallet prices.

How many of you out there in rider land have found your dealer has cut off working on your bike due to its age?

Sorry, this may be for another thread and may have been discussed on another thread but I will say it anyway. When my local dealer closed due to BMW's boutique dealer upgrade, I was told by the new flagship dealer, "We really don't work on your bike", it is too old and you did not buy it from us".

Build them fast, cheap and sell them for top dollar. NOTHING else matters. St.

Back