• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, These Plastic Tabs have officially pi$$ed me off...

My dealer works on /2s and anything newer.

Not many years ago, I had a local dealer that put a sign on a K75 or K100 calling it a rare mystery BMW.......

So, dealers range from the ones that work on /2's to those that never heard of the original K-bikes

Not many years ago, I had a local dealer that put a sign on a K75 or K100 calling it a rare mystery BMW.......

So, dealers range from the ones that work on /2's to those that never heard of the original K-bikes

The sad part is, the dealer probably knew they weren't rare...

How many of you out there in rider land have found your dealer has cut off working on your bike due to its age?

Yea, the very poor service manager at my local dealer, Northern Colorado Powersports, use to pull this on me ALL THE TIME with my '97 R11RT. He'd always try and make me feel bad about my old bike. He'd say crap like; "you know, those seals are going to dry out and it's going to cost a lot to fix" They weren't drying out. Our he'd say; "you know, they don't even send us notes on those old bikes anymore" or "you can hardly get those parts anymore..." or some other lie.

Hate that place. They're less than 17 miles away, but I go down to BMW of Denver. They're 80 miles away, far nicer people and very respectful of me and my R12RT.

...poor service manager at my local dealer, Northern Colorado Powersports...

+1

I keep trying them every few years, hoping for a change in attitude. I tried to buy a new 2018 R1200RT from them, but ended up buying one from Gateway in St. Louis, and riding it home. Saved me the aggravation.

I've heard the same with our new, local (140 miles away), dealer in Boise. The newest bike in my barn is twenty years old. Glad I'm still connected to the dealer I worked for in the '80's (650 miles away), and they still work on /2's and older, and have more parts in stock than any dealer I've ever visited. Most thankful that I learned to do my own work from several master BMW mechanics at Ozzie's.

I'm not sure it applies to other BMW motorcycles, but I suspect it does...

These plastic tabs on the trim pieces for my '16 RT are really making me wonder if I should do any work on my bike. I KNOW where they are, I am VERY careful about working with them - but they still snap off!! Finished putting some LED lights on the bike, got it all buttoned up and then , Horror upon Horrors, I see a small piece plastic painted in my bikes color laying on the ground! ARRRGGGHHH.

I have now broken two of them but at least I found the pieces. Thank you JB Weld for making such a a fine adhesive.

Please BMW - Stop using these tabs or find a way to reinforce them!!

I don't expect to find such shoddy design on a motorcycle of this quality.

Ski
I have some experience with these tabs and how fragile they are on other bikes throughout the years. Here is a little tip that prevented me from breaking them during re-assembly: lubricate them so they slide in easier.

+1

I keep trying them every few years, hoping for a change in attitude. I tried to buy a new 2018 R1200RT from them, but ended up buying one from Gateway in St. Louis, and riding it home. Saved me the aggravation.

Cap, why not Lakewood or Denver? I've used Foothills for a couple of service jobs and they were fair and straight w/ me.

Cap, why not Lakewood or Denver?

I actually bought my first GS from Lakewood in 2001. And I think the dealer in Fort Collins is owned by the the same family now (not then). But driving to Denver and back for me requires a few hours. And negotiating a good price is difficult when the dealer knows that. Neither of the dealers you mention would negotiate over the phone when I was shopping a couple of years ago. But Gateway in St. Louis were offering fair prices published online, and then were very helpful over the phone. My total time invested in reaching a deal with Gateway was about 5 minutes over the phone with Bob Honz. I paid about $100 for a one-way plane ticket to St. Louis, and another ~$150 for gas and lodging on the ride home. And still came away with substantial savings compared to the local options.

And having said that, I would still prefer to shop locally if the local dealer had half a clue about customer interactions. I had been keeping tabs on the inventory at my local dealer for a year, waiting for the last R1200RT models to drop in price as the new R1250RT hit the showroom. At the very end of the season, I visited my local dealer 3 times within a week, asking each time for their best price for a new R1200RT that had been on their showroom floor for a long time. I spoke directly with the sales manager, and made it clear that I was going to buy a 1200RT in the very near time period. I wanted a tailcase, too. And the manager never even quoted me a price. I went by myself once. I brought my wife with me once. I had a friend drive me once with my checkbook in hand, so that I could ride the bike home if I could reach a deal. I gave up. And still, before I committed to buying the motorcycle from Gateway, I called the manager one last time. He still didn't quote a price to me -- but he did try to make me feel guilty about even considering a deal from another dealer. He said, "If you buy somewhere else, it will always be awkward when you bring your bike in for service."

I can't repeat what I was thinking when I heard that. But suffice it to say that I had a new motorcycle within a few minutes of ending that call. And I would buy another moto from Gateway in a heartbeat.

Cap

I did the same when I bought my new 2018 1200RT last year. The new 1250RT's had just come out and BMW authorized a $5000 rebate to dealers who wanted to move any remaining 1200RT stock off their showroom floor. I asked both my local dealers about it...neither was interested, so I wound up buying a $100 one way ticket to Phoenix and bought one there. Rode it to SoCal, just enough mileage to have its first service done at Burbank BMW, and used the bike as a Moto marshal at the Amgen Tour of California before riding home. And I have NO qualms about taking it to the local dealer for any service that is beyond my abilities. If they wanted to sell me a bike they should have been willing to negotiate-

grease

What do you use for lube?

Liberal amounts of Dielectric Grease on every tab and rubber grommet, plastic push pin and every BMW harness connector and plug(inside and out, it conducts electricity) I can get apart without breaking it. Never lost one yet.

Liberal amounts of Dielectric Grease on every tab and rubber grommet, plastic push pin and every BMW harness connector and plug(inside and out, it conducts electricity) I can get apart without breaking it. Never lost one yet.

A silicone dielectric grease will work well, but it is an insulator, not a conductor. It's good for use on electrical connection housings because it keeps out dirt and repels moisture, preventing corrosion that would degrade the connection.

I did the same when I bought my new 2018 1200RT last year. The new 1250RT's had just come out and BMW authorized a $5000 rebate to dealers who wanted to move any remaining 1200RT stock off their showroom floor. I asked both my local dealers about it...neither was interested, so I wound up buying a $100 one way ticket to Phoenix and bought one there. Rode it to SoCal, just enough mileage to have its first service done at Burbank BMW, and used the bike as a Moto marshal at the Amgen Tour of California before riding home. And I have NO qualms about taking it to the local dealer for any service that is beyond my abilities. If they wanted to sell me a bike they should have been willing to negotiate-

Your local dealers sound like morons.

Back