Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Awaiting the sugar cube

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    When I joined the Air Force in 1966 on day 2 or so we lined up and filed past 6 or 7 guys with immunization guns. We would in turn stop in front of each of them who then "shot" us in the arm. I have the distinct recollection that at least some of the guns didn't involve a needle at all but rather propelled the substance through the skin by a very directed blast of compressed air. I might be wrong because they didn't give me time to be inquisitive.
    You remember correctly sir. I stood in that very line in early 70 at PI, SC. They ordered us not to move or the gun would open us up good. Saw one guy who flinched and the gun opened his arm up pretty good. Like another posted, we then went on a 3 mile run after the obstacle course, immediately after. At the time I thought it has something to do with that shot they gave us in the ass that felt like a softball after a few minutes and had everyone limping a little or damned sore. By the time we got done with the OC and run, no problem.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    A little paper cup is what I remember. I think it was at our school, one Sunday afternoon. '61-'62?
    My recollection was long line at neighborhood school and the pink junk on a sugarcube in that tiny cup

Why do I recall doing this more than one time?

I have the scar of the generation as well, but not as visible each passing year
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I recall being handed a sugar cube in what today would be recognized as a ketchup cup at MacDonalds. It was at the Pepperill AFB dispensary in St. Johnís, Newfoundland. I also recall getting many inoculations with the gun. As was mentioned they could be damaging in the hands of an unskilled operator.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

I still have my Polio Pioneer card!

Definitely a sugar cube.

Voni

sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

When I joined the Air Force in 1966 on day 2 or so we lined up and filed past 6 or 7 guys with immunization guns. We would in turn stop in front of each of them who then "shot" us in the arm. I have the distinct recollection that at least some of the guns didn't involve a needle at all but rather propelled the substance through the skin by a very directed blast of compressed air. I might be wrong because they didn't give me time to be inquisitive.
    You are right, it is a stream of air that shoots the drug into the skin at high velocity.

J
    Jerry2019 R1250 RT Carbon Black (current)
    Previously Owned; 96 Kaw 800, 99 Honda Ace 1100, 2000 Honda VFR 800, 2002 Honda Sabre 1100, 2002 Honda 954 RR, 2004 Kaw 1500, 2005 Kaw ZX12, 2007 Kaw ZX 14, 2007 HD Streetglide, 2009 Kaw Vulcan 1600; 2013 Yamaha FJR1300, 2009 HD Road King.

Vaccines

Started grade school in 1958, from that time until I graduated from high school in 1970 the local Doctor and his nurse/wife would come to the school set up shop on a stage in the cafeteria and give shots, I did have the small pox vaccination and do not remember if it cost anything, the other vaccinations and boosters cost 25 cents each, you also were given the scratch test for tuberculosis, if you reacted you had to get a chest x-ray. For polio, first we were given the shot, next was the drink thing and last the sugar cube, we had all three and all were free.
    Sometime during the my high school years the school district after having slacked off for several years went went over all the students health cards and gave each student a list of vaccinations they had to have, if you did not get them they kicked you out of school or threatened to. When they gave you the list of shots they also sent you home with your health card to give to you doctor to fill out after you got all shot up, I took mine home tossed it on top of the refrigerator way back under a cabinet where I found it 10 or fifteen years later when I helped my brother who was living in the house than move a new fridge in. Apparently after the big push for the vaccinations they had someone check the cards every year to make sure everyone had their shots but since my health records was on top of the fridge way back under the cabinet, I probably should go get some booster shots and let Medicare pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Started grade school in 1958, from that time until I graduated from high school in 1970 the local Doctor and his nurse/wife would come to the school set up shop on a stage in the cafeteria and give shots, I did have the small pox vaccination and do not remember if it cost anything, the other vaccinations and boosters cost 25 cents each, you also were given the scratch test for tuberculosis, if you reacted you had to get a chest x-ray. For polio, first we were given the shot, next was the drink thing and last the sugar cube, we had all three and all were free.
    Sometime during the my high school years the school district after having slacked off for several years went went over all the students health cards and gave each student a list of vaccinations they had to have, if you did not get them they kicked you out of school or threatened to. When they gave you the list of shots they also sent you home with your health card to give to you doctor to fill out after you got all shot up, I took mine home tossed it on top of the refrigerator way back under a cabinet where I found it 10 or fifteen years later when I helped my brother who was living in the house than move a new fridge in. Apparently after the big push for the vaccinations they had someone check the cards every year to make sure everyone had their shots but since my health records was on top of the fridge way back under the cabinet, I probably should go get some booster shots and let Medicare pay for them.
    Shingles shots and pneumonia shots for sure in my opinion.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I was born in '67, I have a smallpox scar. If I remember correctly, my brother, '70 does not.

I think I remember the sugar cube as well.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Looks scarier than my Impact gun!

D971F5B4-22B0-4310-AB6B-B1E738A3E085.jpeg
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Rally Rat
    Shingles shots and pneumonia shots for sure in my opinion.
    Having had a case of shingles, the vaccine isn't a bad idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Having had a case of shingles, the vaccine isn't a bad idea.....
    And if you had the "First" Shingles vaccination, the one-shot deal, you need to go back and get the new Shingles Vaccine which is a series of two shots at least six weeks apart. The First Shingles Vaccine was not very effective. new-shingles-vaccine_what-you-need-to-know
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

YES ,had the two shot one per Dr, orders.

Had shingles when I was still under the care of my oncologist. Only one spot on my head that I discovered at 8 PM. Called his answering service and said I think I have leprosy. Got a call back to be in his office at 8 AM. He confirmed it was not leprosy and gave me an injection of an antiviral (I lost a bet with Annie and the Doctor); I had no further problem. Having shingles does not provide any protection against future outbreaks. I was not able to have the vaccine up until a couple of years ago due to a compromised immune system. I need to get it now.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

One of the last to get polio, but got Salk and Sabin anyway

I was one of the very last kids to get polio, and had the academic distinction of repeating 1st grade because of it. Spent time in a giant hospital with a ward full of polio kids. I recovered pretty well, so no complaints or too-apparent lingering effects, but the funny part of my story is that, even at 6, I knew I didn't have to worry about catching polio again (since I already had had it) but I STILL had to take the Salk shots and couple of rounds of Sabin sugar cubes. Six-year olds can't really prevail in arguments with your teachers in grade school, so I just lined up and took them like everyone else.

For Covid, too early to tell if an effective one can be developed.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    And if you had the "First" Shingles vaccination, the one-shot deal, you need to go back and get the new Shingles Vaccine which is a series of two shots at least six weeks apart. The First Shingles Vaccine was not very effective. new-shingles-vaccine_what-you-need-to-know
    You are correct. The current vaccine is two shots.