• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Awaiting the sugar cube

Vaccines

Started grade school in 1958, from that time until I graduated from high school in 1970 the local Doctor and his nurse/wife would come to the school set up shop on a stage in the cafeteria and give shots, I did have the small pox vaccination and do not remember if it cost anything, the other vaccinations and boosters cost 25 cents each, you also were given the scratch test for tuberculosis, if you reacted you had to get a chest x-ray. For polio, first we were given the shot, next was the drink thing and last the sugar cube, we had all three and all were free.
Sometime during the my high school years the school district after having slacked off for several years went went over all the students health cards and gave each student a list of vaccinations they had to have, if you did not get them they kicked you out of school or threatened to. When they gave you the list of shots they also sent you home with your health card to give to you doctor to fill out after you got all shot up, I took mine home tossed it on top of the refrigerator way back under a cabinet where I found it 10 or fifteen years later when I helped my brother who was living in the house than move a new fridge in. Apparently after the big push for the vaccinations they had someone check the cards every year to make sure everyone had their shots but since my health records was on top of the fridge way back under the cabinet, I probably should go get some booster shots and let Medicare pay for them.

Started grade school in 1958, from that time until I graduated from high school in 1970 the local Doctor and his nurse/wife would come to the school set up shop on a stage in the cafeteria and give shots, I did have the small pox vaccination and do not remember if it cost anything, the other vaccinations and boosters cost 25 cents each, you also were given the scratch test for tuberculosis, if you reacted you had to get a chest x-ray. For polio, first we were given the shot, next was the drink thing and last the sugar cube, we had all three and all were free.
Sometime during the my high school years the school district after having slacked off for several years went went over all the students health cards and gave each student a list of vaccinations they had to have, if you did not get them they kicked you out of school or threatened to. When they gave you the list of shots they also sent you home with your health card to give to you doctor to fill out after you got all shot up, I took mine home tossed it on top of the refrigerator way back under a cabinet where I found it 10 or fifteen years later when I helped my brother who was living in the house than move a new fridge in. Apparently after the big push for the vaccinations they had someone check the cards every year to make sure everyone had their shots but since my health records was on top of the fridge way back under the cabinet, I probably should go get some booster shots and let Medicare pay for them.

Shingles shots and pneumonia shots for sure in my opinion.

I was born in '67, I have a smallpox scar. If I remember correctly, my brother, '70 does not.

I think I remember the sugar cube as well.

Had shingles when I was still under the care of my oncologist. Only one spot on my head that I discovered at 8 PM. Called his answering service and said I think I have leprosy. Got a call back to be in his office at 8 AM. He confirmed it was not leprosy and gave me an injection of an antiviral (I lost a bet with Annie and the Doctor); I had no further problem. Having shingles does not provide any protection against future outbreaks. I was not able to have the vaccine up until a couple of years ago due to a compromised immune system. I need to get it now.

One of the last to get polio, but got Salk and Sabin anyway

I was one of the very last kids to get polio, and had the academic distinction of repeating 1st grade because of it. Spent time in a giant hospital with a ward full of polio kids. I recovered pretty well, so no complaints or too-apparent lingering effects, but the funny part of my story is that, even at 6, I knew I didn't have to worry about catching polio again (since I already had had it) but I STILL had to take the Salk shots and couple of rounds of Sabin sugar cubes. Six-year olds can't really prevail in arguments with your teachers in grade school, so I just lined up and took them like everyone else.

For Covid, too early to tell if an effective one can be developed.

I was born in '67, I have a smallpox scar. If I remember correctly, my brother, '70 does not.

I think I remember the sugar cube as well.

Congratulations, I think you're the youngest of the regular forum contributors......

You are correct. The current vaccine is two shots.

When I went back for the second shot, I asked what was different about it. They said nothing...just another shot of the same thing. I thought that was strange, but I guess they were just giving the body a second run at the vaccine to hopefully do a better job.

The first one really walloped me...I think I lost a couple of days because of how I felt. So I expected the same the second time around. But since I had already been exposed the first time, looks like my system tolerated it a lot better. Whew!!

When I went back for the second shot, I asked what was different about it. They said nothing...just another shot of the same thing. I thought that was strange, but I guess they were just giving the body a second run at the vaccine to hopefully do a better job.

The first one really walloped me...I think I lost a couple of days because of how I felt. So I expected the same the second time around. But since I had already been exposed the first time, looks like my system tolerated it a lot better. Whew!!

It's gotta be better than a case of Shingles..... Wasn't fun.

Back