• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Awaiting the sugar cube

ramble

ohbeemer
Before we know it there will be long lines like we experienced as kids for a vaccine. Then time to ride on! Who remembers?

The Sabin polio vaccine was administered via sugar-cube. That came along a few years after the initial Salk vaccine. I got the Salk injectable. Didn't hurt much...

That round scar on your shoulder was the smallpox vaccination.

Speaking of vaccinations, day 2 in Navy OCS in 1967 involved a series of vaccinations injected by handheld injection guns wielded by corpsmen. At this point, I don't recall how many shots, but shortly after the shots went in, we were down doing pushups on what we called "the grinder." Maybe that was to get the vaccine well-distributed. My shoulders ached for a week.

Here's a photo of a smallpox vaccine scar:

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 5.04.17 PM.png

One of the shots had multiple needles? I remember a 25 cent piece size scab on my brothers arm. Hopefully they will get something going to stem this mess.
OM

One of the shots had multiple needles? I remember a 25 cent piece size scab on my brothers arm. Hopefully they will get something going to stem this mess.
OM

Gary - That large scab your brother had was probably from the smallpox vaccination. I think the size of the scar was the result of the talent (or lack thereof) of the person who administered the vaccine. I vaguely recall that the smallpox did not involve a needle. It involved breaking a small glass tube (in which the vaccine was located) and then rubbing the jagged end around on a small spot on the arm just below the shoulder. Sounds awful, but that was the 50s.

Gary - That large scab your brother had was probably from the smallpox vaccination. I think the size of the scar was the result of the talent (or lack thereof) of the person who administered the vaccine. I vaguely recall that the smallpox did not involve a needle. It involved breaking a small glass tube (in which the vaccine was located) and then rubbing the jagged end around on a small spot on the arm just below the shoulder. Sounds awful, but that was the 50s.

Probably early 60’s :gerg John.. I seem to remember something that looked like a paint-sprayer gun.
Whatever it was, I’m sure there was a whole lot less paperwork :)
Thanks.
Gary

When I joined the Air Force in 1966 on day 2 or so we lined up and filed past 6 or 7 guys with immunization guns. We would in turn stop in front of each of them who then "shot" us in the arm. I have the distinct recollection that at least some of the guns didn't involve a needle at all but rather propelled the substance through the skin by a very directed blast of compressed air. I might be wrong because they didn't give me time to be inquisitive. :scratch

When I joined the Air Force in 1966 on day 2 or so we lined up and filed past 6 or 7 guys with immunization guns. We would in turn stop in front of each of them who then "shot" us in the arm. I have the distinct recollection that at least some of the guns didn't involve a needle at all but rather propelled the substance through the skin by a very directed blast of compressed air. I might be wrong because they didn't give me time to be inquisitive. :scratch

You remember correctly sir. I stood in that very line in early 70 at PI, SC. They ordered us not to move or the gun would open us up good. Saw one guy who flinched and the gun opened his arm up pretty good. Like another posted, we then went on a 3 mile run after the obstacle course, immediately after. At the time I thought it has something to do with that shot they gave us in the ass that felt like a softball after a few minutes and had everyone limping a little or damned sore. By the time we got done with the OC and run, no problem.

A little paper cup is what I remember. I think it was at our school, one Sunday afternoon. '61-'62?

My recollection was long line at neighborhood school and the pink junk on a sugarcube in that tiny cup

Why do I recall doing this more than one time?

I have the scar of the generation as well, but not as visible each passing year

I recall being handed a sugar cube in what today would be recognized as a ketchup cup at MacDonalds. It was at the Pepperill AFB dispensary in St. John’s, Newfoundland. I also recall getting many inoculations with the gun. As was mentioned they could be damaging in the hands of an unskilled operator.

You are right, it is a stream of air that shoots the drug into the skin at high velocity.

J

Back