• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

‘18 RT tires

jake1201

I’ve got an 18RT with the original Metzler tires. Now at 7500 miles both front and rear still have decent tread left but the front is starting to cup rather noticeably in the last 500 miles.
I’ll be replacing both with Michelins but was curious if others had the same experience and what tire you went to and how do you like it?
Ride safe!

Just want to comment that I was pleasantly surprised with the OEM Metzler on my 17’ RT.

In terms of replacement, I am debating between the Michelin Road 5 GT (newer) and the Road Pilot 4 GT (save a few bucks?). Will be following this post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got only 6,000 miles on the rear tire on my '18 RT. I went with Continentals from recommendations here. I don't have enough miles on them for an eval, but so far they are black, round, hold air and handle just fine! :thumb

I had two sets of Michelin PR4GT's. The ones that came on the bike, and then another set when those were worn out. After the second set wore out, I ended up HAVING to get a set of Pirelli Angel GT's and I was not happy about it.

In the end, that's what I will be getting from now on. I was always able to tell when the Michelins broke traction just a little. I've yet to even break traction on the Pirellis.

I went with the Michelin Road 5’s. Dealer said they’d seen that cupping before at around 6500-7000 miles. Planning a ride out west this summer, I’ll post my thoughts on the Michelin’s when I get back.

Maybe it's just my luck but Michelin PR's have been nail/screw magnets for me. More so that any other brand. Metzeler Roadtec 01's are now my fav for stick and wear. The HWM model. No flats with them so far, but probably just luck.

Continental

I’ve had Metzlers on my 2016 RT since I got the bike, and have always replaced with the like....no complaints from me. I’m going to rock the boat in a couple of weeks and try my first set of Continental Road Attack 3 GT’s and see how I like them this riding season... check back at the end of September.... Ride safe, and watch out for kamikaze deer!!

I’m going to rock the boat in a couple of weeks and try my first set of Continental Road Attack 3 GT’s and see how I like them this riding season

Lasnin is Ozzies still up and running? I know Jessee was rather concerned post Camp Fire how they would do.

Conti RA3 GTs and am on my second set now after Metz Z8, PR4GT, Angel GT. Here are its list of pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Best turn-in and line-holding of the bunch. (PR4GT/Z8 similar, Angle GT wretched in this regard)
2. No significant cupping for the life of the tire at BMW recommended PSI on the front. (PR4GT wretched in this regard)
3. Shape retention as good or better than the bunch.
4. No howling in turns for the life of the tire. (Both PR4GT and Angle GT started this towards the last 25% of their life)
5. Best behavior in linear grooved pavement, bridge gratings, etc.
6. Traction wet or dry as good as the bunch.
7. Longevity on a par w/ the bunch.
8. Can be leaned fully immediately post-install.
9. Pleasant overall ride quality.

Cons:

1. Zero, none, nada, zip!

Screen-Shot-2020-05-21-at-7-07-29-AM.jpg

Cons:

Hey Noel,

I would add a second item here: cost. I bought a complete set of Bridgestone T31 GT tires for $180. The set you list here is $340.

I bought an extra set of wheels for my R1200RT, and they came with half-used Conti RA3's. I've put about 800 miles on them so far. And I agree with you that they are good tires. Still, especially while Bridgestone is offering such a great deal, it challenges my frugal nature to pay almost twice as much for about the same number of miles. The T31's are fine tires that also don't seem to develop the cupping issue like the PR4's. I look forward to hearing about the PR5 GT.

Cap

I’ve got an 18RT with the original Metzler tires. Now at 7500 miles both front and rear still have decent tread left but the front is starting to cup rather noticeably in the last 500 miles.
I’ll be replacing both with Michelins but was curious if others had the same experience and what tire you went to and how do you like it?
Ride safe!

Your primary riding area, roads and weather can have an effect on what you should go with. I've found any modern tire is a good option but prefer the PR4GT for my climate in Indiana but when I get out west into the hot dry desert country I'd rather have the Pirelli Angel's.

Hey Noel,

I would add a second item here: cost. I bought a complete set of Bridgestone T31 GT tires for $180. The set you list here is $340.

I bought an extra set of wheels for my R1200RT, and they came with half-used Conti RA3's. I've put about 800 miles on them so far. And I agree with you that they are good tires. Still, especially while Bridgestone is offering such a great deal, it challenges my frugal nature to pay almost twice as much for about the same number of miles. The T31's are fine tires that also don't seem to develop the cupping issue like the PR4's. I look forward to hearing about the PR5 GT.

Cap

Certainly a fair point, however the group it was included in in my review were all about the same price. As I am not a very aggressive rider I could get away w/ a lesser tire, if indeed 45% less $ has any impact on tire performance/quality, which it may or may not.

I now have as many miles on my RA-3's as I had on my PR-4's when I changed them. The RA-3's still track better, ride smoother, grip better on wet roads than the Michelin's ever did, and I'm not sure when I'll need to replace them, but not yet, that's for sure. When I do I'll be looking for another set of Continental's, RA-3 GT.

Ozzies!

Yes, Ozzies in Chico is still my shop! Awesome people!!!

QUOTE=ncpbmw1953;1207128]Lasnin is Ozzies still up and running? I know Jessee was rather concerned post Camp Fire how they would do.

Conti RA3 GTs and am on my second set now after Metz Z8, PR4GT, Angel GT. Here are its list of pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Best turn-in and line-holding of the bunch. (PR4GT/Z8 similar, Angle GT wretched in this regard)
2. No significant cupping for the life of the tire at BMW recommended PSI on the front. (PR4GT wretched in this regard)
3. Shape retention as good or better than the bunch.
4. No howling in turns for the life of the tire. (Both PR4GT and Angle GT started this towards the last 25% of their life)
5. Best behavior in linear grooved pavement, bridge gratings, etc.
6. Traction wet or dry as good as the bunch.
7. Longevity on a par w/ the bunch.
8. Can be leaned fully immediately post-install.
9. Pleasant overall ride quality.

Cons:

View attachment 78774[/QUOTE]

I now have as many miles on my RA-3's as I had on my PR-4's when I changed them. The RA-3's still track better, ride smoother, grip better on wet roads than the Michelin's ever did, and I'm not sure when I'll need to replace them, but not yet, that's for sure. When I do I'll be looking for another set of Continental's, RA-3 GT.

This is what I'll use on my 2019 RT when I'm due. I run the Trail Attacks on my GSA and love em'

Last edited:
The Metzlers that came on my 2017 RT were toast at 6,000 miles. I swapped them for Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on the suggestion of the folks at Morton's BMW.

I found them to be quiet and hold their shape well, with minimal front cupping. The RS 3's seem fine to me in the rain and, having a rounder profile than Michelins i used to use regularly, turn in more progressively. They do seem slightly more sensitive to tar snakes than other tires I've used, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Anticipating a 2,000 mile trip (canceled due to COVID, damn it), I replaced the RS 3's with another set after 9,500 miles wear.

I use Roadsmart 3’s on my ‘16 RT. No problems to report, and happy with how they handle. Daily commute (before Covid) and 800+ mile days across the Great Plains last summer.

I think the acceleration, braking forces, and and the weight of my RT would be hard on any brand of tyre, making the differences in each brand minimal and barely noticeable to me. YMMV.

The Metzlers that came on my 2017 RT were toast at 6,000 miles. I swapped them for Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on the suggestion of the folks at Morton's BMW.

I too ride a 2017 RT. Still on my original Metzlers after 17,000 km (> 10,000 miles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 RT, stock Meztlers ran about 6,200 miles. The rear had cord showing. The front was good for more miles but was cupping badly, so it went away too.

Back