• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alpine White is the best...

Very nice!

Alpine White is the best color. People you follow tend to do a double take when they spot you thinking its the highway patrol.

I'll pull alongside at the next light and they'll say, "phew, I thought you were a cop".

Good choice on your seat. Its more comfortable than the original.

I think it's very nice!

Can you elaborate on the paints used, techniques to apply, and approx $$$?

You've put a lot of work into this and it shows...hope you can share some details so others can determine if doing a color change in general is feasible.

Hope you don't think I'm asking too many questions...I know you just want to get out of the house and ride!

Boxflyer

...Can you elaborate on the paints used, techniques to apply, and approx $$$?

Thanks. I used the official BMW colors for the Boxer Cup replica circa 2004. The blue is "Pacific Blue 2" and the red is "Marakesh Red 2". The white is Alpine White 3. I purchased used body panels on eBay as they became available over a period of a few months this past winter. There were 14 separate parts that were painted, and I can return the bike to stock by replacing those parts that I pulled off. (with the exception of the side cases). The painting was done by a professional locally, and he used 3 coats on each part: primer, color, and clear. He charged me $700 for the job, that included repainting my tailcase where it had been keyed by some jerk.

The rims are powder coated. I bought a matched pair of rims from a salvaged R1200RS on eBay. All the parts had to be stripped off: rotors, ABS ring, bearings, TPMS sensor. They needed to be sand-blasted to remove the OEM dark grey finish. Then, three layers of powder coating applied: primer, color, and clear on the rear rim. Silver, blue, and clear on the front rim. Choosing a blue color for the front was just guessing because the choices are limited. It looks like I should have picked a darker blue for the front rim, but the result is fine. The white for the rear rim is basically "washing machine" white, and is widely available. If I ever powder coat a motorcycle rim again, I will be sure to place "sacrificial" screws into all the threaded holes in the rims first. I did not do that, and had some nervous moments trying to get the brake rotors mounted because a few of the bolts wanted to cross-thread due to having the threads full of coating. The cost of powder coating, including the sand-blasting and 3 coats each, was $375.

It was a fun project.

There were 14 separate parts that were painted, The painting was done by a professional locally, and he used 3 coats on each part: primer, color, and clear. He charged me $700 for the job, that included repainting my tailcase where it had been keyed by some jerk.

That's very reasonable for that many parts that have odd shapes.
Motorcycle parts are harder to paint than a car door or hood.

Very pretty, Cap.

I had a white 2017 R1200RT. It changed colors to Granada red.

Attachments

• white to red 850.jpg
    white to red 850.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
An aside about powder coating the front wheel

Last week, we had 16 inches of snow on the ground. Yesterday it was sunny and warm, and the snow was all gone. So, I went for my first long ride with the new look. The first thing I discovered is that I had a new squeaking noise, once per wheel revolution. It turned out that the wheel-speed sensor was just grazing the speed ring. Apparently, the layers of powder coating are enough to displace the speed ring so that it rubs the wheel-speed sensor. Wow, talk about tight tolerances.

I stopped briefly to pull the wheel-speed sensor out, and shim it back about 50 thousandths, and the rub went away, but by that time my ABS had thrown a fault code. I was able to clear the code when I returned home by using a GS911.

Here's a weird thing: when I went to turn off power to the bike while fixing the rub, the main power would not shut off. I killed the engine with the secondary switch. Same when I returned home at the end of the ride. I discovered that if I held the switch main switch "off" for about 5 seconds, it would finally turn off. And then functioned normally afterwards. And after clearing the ABS code, the brakes and cruise control are working OK again, too. The wheel-speed sensor has a burnished tip, but is otherwise undamaged. That's nice, because a new one costs $168.

The shim works fine for now. I will fix it permanently when I remove the wheel next time.

Alpine white

Always had black beemers, but had to replace my 2015 callisto grey RT with something from 2019. Liked the red with blacked out trim. the black and dk blue just didn't seem interesting. my son has a white wrx, and all of his friends have white sports cars, so i figured white is the new sport. took a little while to get used to the new alpine white 1250Rt, but now I prefer it :)

Very nice paint job on the bike. I have a 2020 RT in white and really think it is a great color for a motorcycle.:thumb

My 2013 GS is Alpine White, well, very little of it. Just the upper tank panel and the beak.

Last edited:
Back