• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Newbie with oldbie

olethumper

I seem to have eventually found my way here, which I think is the right department for my questions....
I have somewhat recently purchased a 1935 R4 (my first BMW) and wish to figure out what series it is so I can start to track down some of the missing parts.

It is mostly "all there", - missing clutch cable, wiring harness, handlebar switch, some rubber pieces, cover for the driveshaft U joint (cardan shaft?). I have so far discovered Oldtimers garage and old Militaria for parts. Can members suggest other commercial vendors for parts? There seems to be little to nothing on eBay.

Do folks know if the clutch cable can be purchased as "built and correct" or does one fab up their own using universal parts?
There is a start, thanks!
Lyle

As one new to the Vintage bikes, I am in a bit of awe of Vech. I contacted him the other day after removing my Sport gas tank on my '55 and finding both of the mounting bolts stripped. I wanted to know the pitch needed for a tap to chase the threads and he responded immediately with size, pitch, part number and even a link to the tap needed that they don't carry. I think this guy has absolutely forgot more than most of us will ever know, and the willingness to provide the help is invaluable. Of course I ordered the parts for shipping from Mississippi to California rather than grabbing them locally .. how can you not support that level of customer service. This is a very small example of the support he has already provided me in a very short period of time.

Threads cleaned up nicely BTW.

There is none better than Vech...and Richard as well. Not sure how long Vech will continue to support the old bikes, but it will hurt when he's not there anymore.

more about Vech

I had tried reaching out to a couple of vintage BMW suppliers in Europe to get information so I could make an order that would actually be what I was looking for my restoration and became quite frustrated with the short "figure it out yourself" kind of attitude. Members here suggested I contact Vech. In the past two days Vech has sent me numerous emails bursting with photos detailing things I need to know and sped my way along the learning curve with humour, patience and generosity. We spoke for an hour on the phone today and during that time he filled my head with tricks and tips and great advice. He is one of the reasons that owning vintage stuff is so cool. Every now and then you meet guy like Vech who has the knowledge and is willing to take the time to help a guy out. Thanks, members for your recommendation. I haven't got a hellofalot else done in the past two days but I understand my '34 R4 so much more thoroughly now and have a much better idea of what I need to do next and how, and in the end I am certain I will save a lot of money, time and frustration and get so much more enjoyment out of this build.
One of the challenges our hobby of vintage vehicles faces is the relative disinterest of the next generation by and large. If we had more Vech's out there, we could inspire the next generation in a much more effective way. That may be the most important thing I learn about when I am corresponding with Vech.

That is great and not surprising! I had one of those long phone conversations and was scribbling notes the entire time like a court reporter or something hahaha. Best of luck on what sounds like a wonderful project.

Chris

Back