• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Iron Butt 1000 attempt

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
Gents
So In late May- early June I'm going to attempt my 1st Iron butt 1000
From Telluride Co to Ely NV is about 509 miles.
I'm going to wait for what I consider is good weather, partly cloudy skys, no wind. Not too hot.
I'm planning on saddling up at 3 am and heading west, have the sun come up on my back.
Hit Ely maybe by noon and turn around and have the sun go down on my back and maybe get home by 9 PM.
Any advice on this plan?
I know I'm very far from the first to do this but I want to try.
Nick

I haven't done one yet myself so have no advice really. If you go to the Iron Butt site they have a tips and tricks section which I would recommend reading. It might be ok in 24 hours but the real high mileage folks do not use caffeine etc. It's pretty interesting reading on how to ride long and far as safely as possible.

I want to do one as well and for me a route I have looked at it from Cape Spear, NL, (most easterly point in North America), to Cape Anguille, most westerly point in Newfoundland and back for a google map total of 1118 miles.

I've also been looking at a 4 corners run which I don't think anyone has ever done here. It's big mileage to get to the furthest north, south, east, west points in Newfoundland and a lot of road is max 80 kmh speed limit which Iron Butt recognizes so I'm not sure where it would put me by the end. Either way I think it would be fun.

Have you looked

Gents
So In late May- early June I'm going to attempt my 1st Iron butt 1000
From Telluride Co to Ely NV is about 509 miles.
I'm going to wait for what I consider is good weather, partly cloudy skys, no wind. Not too hot.
I'm planning on saddling up at 3 am and heading west, have the sun come up on my back.
Hit Ely maybe by noon and turn around and have the sun go down on my back and maybe get home by 9 PM.
Any advice on this plan?
I know I'm very far from the first to do this but I want to try.
Nick

Leaving Telluride at 3:00am will get you through Moab before the traffic heats up there. If you’re taking I-70 be aware there is no gas [or much of anything else) between Green River and Salina so plan accordingly. And you’ll have plenty of time, so relax and enjoy the ride!

DeVern

Skibum!
Thanks for the response
I got in 89 ski days this year, how did you do?
And our ski season shut down way early due to the Covid 19 problem.
Yes I've been on the Iron Butt webpage and read all the advice.
I've wanted to do this for some time so I'm going for it when the stars align.

Devern- Do you live in the Nibley by Elsinore or Logan?
I go by the one near Elsinore all the time
Nick

Devern- Do you live in the Nibley by Elsinore or Logan?
I go by the one near Elsinore all the time
Nick

South of Logan. In fact, I’ve never been able to locate the “other” Nibley and don’t think it’s even an incorporated city. It used to show up in the list on some mapping programs, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it listed there as well. But, I’m sure there’s an old city limit sign somewhere down there, kinda like Warm Springs, NV-which fools a lot of people into thinking there’s a town and gas at that intersection.

Have a great ride,
DeVern

Last edited:
My quick preview of Google maps indicates your in for a long day... as in Hours & Minutes. The distance indicates 8 hours & 40 minutes... each way.

That's 17 hr 20 min round trip... Non-stop at the speed limit.

My experience through four 1,000 mile awards is that you "should" stop 3 times going toward Ely, and 4 on the return home.

Not all stops may be necessary for fuel, but a good idea for physiological and safety. Your stop time will vary in duration, likely 12-18 minutes each.

And one longer stop in Ely for both food, fuel and paperwork/evaluation of progress... for the return leg home. Maybe 20-25 minutes there in Ely.

The one "extra" stop on the return; because your just spent and going to need it!

If your an hour and half out from completion, and have 6 1/2 remaining in the 24... take 30 min. if needed.

Only pending darkness makes that decision. You do not want to leave in darkness and return in darkness, especially on two lane roads/on-coming traffic.

Risk unnecessary.

In fact, your long distance requirement on remote two lane is a recipe for incompletion.

Factors of traffic snafu's and un-intended delays weigh heavy when the clock is ticking.

So... I think you need to build in one hour and thirty minutes (1+30) of "fuel/nourishment/physiological break time"...

onto the 17+20 of travel AND some margin for unforeseen delay (even a flat tire? ...30min).

That comes to about 19 hours & 15 minutes. With just 4 hr 45 remaining in the 24 available.

Your estimate of 3am until about 9pm is....18 hours.

Using the sun to illuminate your route is an excellent idea. And so is doing this when you can choose the weather elements.

Speed and time management, along with appropriate breaks are the key to success while respecting the risk-reward aspect of your challenge.

Plan, execute and ride safely... wishing you success.

Last edited:
Hey nickrides, my best season was 152 days but that was a long time ago. This season I only got one day but on that day which incidentally was the leaper day I was surfing early then I skied a ridge on the back of town. I was pretty stoked to surf and ski same day both in my back yard!

Back