• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Good place to "stash" the spare key?

Yeah, I don't get the locking gas cap deal either. I don't see the need for it. I have never heard of anyone getting something poured into their gas tank, other than grabbing the wrong hose on a fill up. On Harley baggers there is a lock on the door over the filler. First thing I remove.

Yeah, I don't get the locking gas cap deal either. I don't see the need for it. I have never heard of anyone getting something poured into their gas tank, other than grabbing the wrong hose on a fill up. On Harley baggers there is a lock on the door over the filler. First thing I remove.

I thought the locking flip-cap style Locking gas cap was the “technological” jump past the caps that twisted in. :dunno OM

On the Harley there is a flip up cover with a lock, with a standard issue twist on cap under it. Not like many of the newer imports that have a key lock flip up cap.

Don't know if this has been suggested, but I have a spare on my normal key ring that has all my usual keys on it. Just went to a local key shop and got a couple spares, just not the BMW key blanks. My motorcycle key is on a ring by itself. I always have my standard keys ( house, car, truck, etc ) with me, but I do have different variations of that. Now, I always have a spare with me.

Don't know if this has been suggested, but I have a spare on my normal key ring that has all my usual keys on it. Just went to a local key shop and got a couple spares, just not the BMW key blanks. My motorcycle key is on a ring by itself. I always have my standard keys ( house, car, truck, etc ) with me, but I do have different variations of that. Now, I always have a spare with me.

Why carry all the extra keys?

I have separate key rings for all my vehicles. Each one has a house key, and any other key I might need while using that vehicle. On a trip I just grab the motorcycle set and go. It wouldn't do any good to put the spare key on the same ring if you loose it somehow. That is why I want to stash it on the motorcycle somewhere. Guaranteed it will always be there.

I bought the stick on nylon pouch and stuck it to the inside of the side cover. Not too worried about someone finding it and it will always be there.

Until the adhesive dries out and fails????

Possibly, but how many years does that take. Most trim on automobiles is just stuck on with adhesive and it generally doesn't fall off.

I will take the chance and will check on it once in a while, oil change time, or before a trip.

Possibly, but how many years does that take. Most trim on automobiles is just stuck on with adhesive and it generally doesn't fall off.

I will take the chance and will check on it once in a while, oil change time, or before a trip.

I use a lot of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive for odd job type things. It usually is good for 5 or more years, but do check it now and again.

My solution

578CAFE4-810E-4303-9CC9-FB0C46EC514C.jpg

MOA key thong to the rescue. The metal spring ring easily separates with a fingernail; easy on and off and I always have it with me on the bike.

MOA key thong to the rescue. The metal spring ring easily separates with a fingernail; easy on and off and I always have it with me on the bike.

Not a bad idea to just keep it in the tank bag.
Half the owners don't know how to use it, so a thief probably won't figure it out :)

Back