Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Good place to "stash" the spare key?

LOL!!! this thread is a testament to the gross over complication by technology of the simple tasks of starting a motorcycle and opening a gas cap...

bring back "insert metal key in lock. turn. done."
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    LOL!!! this thread is a testament to the gross over complication by technology of the simple tasks of starting a motorcycle and opening a gas cap...

I think it is less complication. 99.99% of the time I don't even need a key! Sorry you have to dig through your pockets, insert the key and twist, then push the starter button. I just hop on, hit the power switch, then the starter button. The only time I need the key is if something fails, which rarely happens.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    BMW must have realized that you old-timers on the 15 models need a bit more time to get things done. I'd need to double check, but I believe on our 17s you only get 30 seconds to open the fuel cap.

Sometimes it takes me 30 seconds to remember why I've decided to stop... And I'm parked in front of the pumps!
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... for every mile of road there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post

I want a gas cap without a lock.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Yeah, I don't get the locking gas cap deal either. I don't see the need for it. I have never heard of anyone getting something poured into their gas tank, other than grabbing the wrong hose on a fill up. On Harley baggers there is a lock on the door over the filler. First thing I remove.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the locking gas cap deal either. I don't see the need for it. I have never heard of anyone getting something poured into their gas tank, other than grabbing the wrong hose on a fill up. On Harley baggers there is a lock on the door over the filler. First thing I remove.
    I thought the locking flip-cap style Locking gas cap was the “technological” jump past the caps that twisted in. OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

On the Harley there is a flip up cover with a lock, with a standard issue twist on cap under it. Not like many of the newer imports that have a key lock flip up cap.

Don't know if this has been suggested, but I have a spare on my normal key ring that has all my usual keys on it. Just went to a local key shop and got a couple spares, just not the BMW key blanks. My motorcycle key is on a ring by itself. I always have my standard keys ( house, car, truck, etc ) with me, but I do have different variations of that. Now, I always have a spare with me.
    Ride fast, take chances.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Don't know if this has been suggested, but I have a spare on my normal key ring that has all my usual keys on it. Just went to a local key shop and got a couple spares, just not the BMW key blanks. My motorcycle key is on a ring by itself. I always have my standard keys ( house, car, truck, etc ) with me, but I do have different variations of that. Now, I always have a spare with me.
    Why carry all the extra keys?

I have separate key rings for all my vehicles. Each one has a house key, and any other key I might need while using that vehicle. On a trip I just grab the motorcycle set and go. It wouldn't do any good to put the spare key on the same ring if you loose it somehow. That is why I want to stash it on the motorcycle somewhere. Guaranteed it will always be there.

I bought the stick on nylon pouch and stuck it to the inside of the side cover. Not too worried about someone finding it and it will always be there.

I bought the stick on nylon pouch and stuck it to the inside of the side cover. Not too worried about someone finding it and it will always be there.
    Until the adhesive dries out and fails????
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Until the adhesive dries out and fails????
    Possibly, but how many years does that take. Most trim on automobiles is just stuck on with adhesive and it generally doesn't fall off.

I will take the chance and will check on it once in a while, oil change time, or before a trip.

Possibly, but how many years does that take. Most trim on automobiles is just stuck on with adhesive and it generally doesn't fall off.

I will take the chance and will check on it once in a while, oil change time, or before a trip.
    I use a lot of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive for odd job type things. It usually is good for 5 or more years, but do check it now and again.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My solution

578CAFE4-810E-4303-9CC9-FB0C46EC514C.jpg

MOA key thong to the rescue. The metal spring ring easily separates with a fingernail; easy on and off and I always have it with me on the bike.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    MOA key thong to the rescue. The metal spring ring easily separates with a fingernail; easy on and off and I always have it with me on the bike.
    Not a bad idea to just keep it in the tank bag.
    Half the owners don't know how to use it, so a thief probably won't figure it out
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT