• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Good place to "stash" the spare key?

Will the spare key allow me to open the fuel cap door? If you've "lost" the FOB itself while out traveling, your likely to need some gas to get home!

Yes
Touch the start button to turn on the ignition, then open the cap.

This is in the ballpark... but a swing and a miss!

Yes
Touch the start button to turn on the ignition, then open the cap.

...At least on the 2015 R1200GSw.
From my last post on previous page, I stood there pondering my dilemma while thinking of options and what may be the limitations.

So with the bike running, OR with the ignition "engaged/on"... you cannot open the Fuel Latch.
The ignition must be OFF... A very nice safety measure.
What I was misunderstanding was this erroneous thought:
I had never opened my Fuel Latch, unless that Key FOB was within electronic proximity, just like starting the bike.
And I no longer had a functional Key Fob!
I was about 2,000mi from home... and many miles from a MOTORRAD dealer, standing there processing my options on a Sunday morning.

Out came the Owners Manual where I was relieved to find the answer.
After you "disengage the ignition", you have a short period of time to Open the Fuel Latch.
I think the Canbus allows 90 seconds.
I had never tried my Emergency Key for operation, so I was determined to reach civilization before exploring if my system functioned properly.
Then I thought... Would I be the first guy to travel multiple days using this method? Is the battery still good in the Emergency Key?
Is there even a battery in it? How many times can I use it?
I won't say it was a million questions that crossed my mind while riding toward the States... but it was close!

You can bet I now routinely check the system operation by using my Emergency Key.

Last edited:
...At least on the 2015 R1200GSw.
From my last post on previous page, I stood there pondering my dilemma while thinking of options and what may be the limitations.

So with the bike running, OR with the ignition "engaged/on"... you cannot open the Fuel Latch.
The ignition must be OFF... A very nice safety measure.

That's right, I forgot you need to turn the ignition back off.

If you wait longer than 90 seconds and the cap doesn't open it will open on the 2nd try.

This is something that also happens frequently on my bike... the requirement of a "second lift" to make it happen.

And back to the OP's question and ideas for the Spare Key.

I have always had mine on the bike, with other spare keys in the tank bag or top box... but not hidden.

spare key

Duct tape will dry out and let loose when it gets old.
I keep my plastic emergency key in my pants pocket.
I still remember to wear pants when I leave the house :)

Me too. I safety pin the key in my riding pants front pocket. Since I never ride without ATGATT, I've always got the key handy.

Will the spare key allow me to open the fuel cap door? If you've "lost" the FOB itself while out traveling, your likely to need some gas to get home!

This happened to me once upon a time when I didn't know "all the stuff" concerning the electronics on the newer bike.

Usually I wear the FOB on a lanyard around my neck. One morning it was swinging in my way while packing and breaking camp.
So I stuffed the device into the outer chest pocket of the riding jacket; NO... I didn't zip it
Geared up, started up, and off I ride southbound on the Ice Fields Parkway, away from Jasper.
About 50 miles south I decide to synch-up a little more around the neck area, rather chilly it was.
You likely realize what's coming.
I come over a hill, long straight ahead, nobody following or ahead... I reach up to adjust my jacket collar real good.
The lanyard latches on to the velcro at the jacket sleeve cuff without my knowledge.
I lower my hand toward the controls and simultaneously glimpse, and feel something extra... departing the journey!
Confirmed in the mirror view, the FOB and lanyard spinning and tumbling, oh the horror of first thinking I would loose it... as "it" flung off into the weeds.
A well executed and panic induced 180 racing back, had me momentarily hopeful... was that "it" up ahead in the road?
YES! And then... that horror thing again, over the rise came a fleet of motor vehicles. Equidistant to the FOB as I was.
As I lowered the kickstand on the opposite shoulder of the roadway, I noticed the yellow warning icon displayed on the instrument cluster...
some folks actually waved as they passed by.
They were riding a big commercial tour bus that finished off the FOB; this was especially painful...and in shock, I think I waived back!
I hurriedly collected the aftermath... "it" was no longer an operable Key FOB, no matter how closely I held the smashed array of mangled parts to the bike.

So there I stood; the bike running and now without a FOB, on a Sunday morning in a remote location far from home.
Wondering... Does that little spare key I have open that fuel latch?

I know the "rest of the story"... do you?

...another crappy weather day here in the "near midwest" and not really south or east (Cincinnati),
allowed me some garage time looking for the perfect location to conceal and zip tie (securely attach) the Emergency Spare Key on the 15' R1200GSw.
There's no really best place, there are tradeoffs anywhere I found barely acceptable. And those were generally near the upper fork tubes on the fairing.
It would be difficult to do any better than your wallet or riding suit.

Out came the Owners Manual where I was relieved to find the answer.
After you "disengage the ignition", you have a short period of time to Open the Fuel Latch.
I think the Canbus allows 90 seconds.

I tried this with my 2018 RT, but probably did it wrong. So you are saying after you shut off the motorcycle with the main power switch, bike is off, you have a few seconds when the full filler is unlocked? I couldn't find an explanation in the owners manual.

Last edited:
I tried this with my 2015 RT, but probably did it wrong. So you are saying after you shut off the motorcycle with the main power switch, bike is off, you have a few seconds when the full filler is unlocked? I couldn't find an explanation in the owners manual.

Yes; the information is in the section under "Riding"... and Refueling Procedure.

It's Chapter 5, pg. 91 in my 15' GS OM. I'm "keyless ride", and version #2 states you have 2 minutes to open fuel filer cap.

Yes; the information is in the section under "Riding"... and Refueling Procedure.

It's Chapter 5, pg. 91 in my 15' GS OM. I'm "keyless ride", and version #2 states you have 2 minutes to open fuel filer cap.

BMW must have realized that you old-timers on the 15 models need a bit more time to get things done. I'd need to double check, but I believe on our 17s you only get 30 seconds to open the fuel cap.

... Is the battery still good in the Emergency Key?
Is there even a battery in it? How many times can I use it?

There is no battery in the emergency key.
The battery in the fob is only needed to give it a greater range.

There is no battery in the emergency key.
The battery in the fob is only needed to give it a greater range.

... Now THIS is great news concerning the emergency key. Cause I sure couldn't find a way to open it!!!!

I just purchased a 2016 RT.

Should there be one fob (keyless) and one plastic key? Can I get the spare plastic key made at the dealer if it’s missing?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a 2016 RT.

Should there be one fob (keyless) and one plastic key? Can I get the spare plastic key made at the dealer if it’s missing

Yes. You need to appear in person at your dealership with photo ID and proof of ownership of the bike—like a title. Dealer can then forward the info to BMW and get you a replacement emergency key. Turnaround time is very quick— a matter of days. Cost is around $70.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Yes. You need to appear in person at your dealership with photo ID and proof of ownership of the bike—like a title. Dealer can then forward the info to BMW and get you a replacement emergency key. Turnaround time is very quic— a matter of days. Cost is around $70.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks very much!

Looking forward to the bike which should arrive next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!!! this thread is a testament to the gross over complication by technology of the simple tasks of starting a motorcycle and opening a gas cap...:banghead

bring back "insert metal key in lock. turn. done." :thumb

LOL!!! this thread is a testament to the gross over complication by technology of the simple tasks of starting a motorcycle and opening a gas cap...:banghead

bring back "insert metal key in lock. turn. done." :thumb

I think it is less complication. 99.99% of the time I don't even need a key! Sorry you have to dig through your pockets, insert the key and twist, then push the starter button. I just hop on, hit the power switch, then the starter button. The only time I need the key is if something fails, which rarely happens.

BMW must have realized that you old-timers on the 15 models need a bit more time to get things done. I'd need to double check, but I believe on our 17s you only get 30 seconds to open the fuel cap.

Sometimes it takes me 30 seconds to remember why I've decided to stop... And I'm parked in front of the pumps!

Back