Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Good place to "stash" the spare key?

3 Red Bricks
    I just carry a spare key on my truck/ house key ring in my pants. Since I never leave home without my house key, I always have a spare bike key in my pants under my gear.

My primary bike key is all by itself on a leather fob. Multiple keys in the ignition aren't the best thing for the lock/switch on a 34 year old bike. Key stays in the bike when in the garage.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I just carry a spare key on my truck/ house key ring in my pants. Since I never leave home without my house key...
    Or your pants, I hope...
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

All good information for fellow riders!

Just a reminder, this forum can be read by anyone as a Guest and the content of this forum is searchable on the Internet.

Try "stash spare key bmwmoa.org" on a browser.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft

86 K75 vin 0114638

Velcro wrist watch starp

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Guys, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.
    I once read somewhere a rider using a cheap Velcro wristwatch band with the spare key zip tied to it.
    86 K75
    04 R1150RT

I'll add one comment. If you use a wire tie make sure it is a quality one. Cheap ones get brittle and fail in short order. Or use wire.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post

Just a reminder, this forum can be read by anyone as a Guest and the content of this forum is searchable on the Internet.

/Guenther
    I know any things possible...but, I'd worry a lot more if this was a where do you stash your stash thread
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Left Coast Rider
    I am shocked and surprised. Four pages of responses and they've, for the most part, stayed on topic!

Lots of good ideas here.

Trust that Henzilla guy to veer off into the weeds. (No pun intended!)

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I liked the small flat keys you could carry in your wallet. But, that was a long time, ago
    The plastic one that came w/ my '16 RT went into my wallet and has never left.

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post

/Guenther
    I am not very concerned. How many BMW's do you think a thief can look over and pop off side panels and such to find the one with the hidden key when there are motorcycles out there with the key in the ignition.

I ride with a guy that has a 2012 Harley Limited and his keys and key FOBs are still in the trunk, (Top case for the BMW impaired). The only time he has taken the keys out was to put new batteries in the FOBs, then right back in the trunk. Sitting outside a motel near you!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Spare Key location

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Riding a 2018 R1200RT. I have the FOB and the plastic emergency key. I was thinking of hiding the key on the motorcycle somewhere. My best idea is to duct tape it under the licence plate. Any other ideas?
    I've had mine on a loop of string secured inside my (break away) mirror 45K later still there.

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Or your pants, I hope...
    Ok, I've been struggling to not include this CIA sponsored hiding place, but this last comment opened a door and now I can't resist:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/videos/cia-fake-scrotum
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Ok, I've been struggling to not include this CIA sponsored hiding place, but this last comment opened a door and now I can't resist:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/videos/cia-fake-scrotum
    Wow. My first thought was, "A guy with two scrotums is going to raise questions." And on a female spy....

Then I watched the video and saw it was sort of an over-scrotum, which was intended to hold a not-so-very-miniature radio and now I'm thinking a set like that would be so big as to raise all sorts of other comments. No wonder the idea never made it into the field.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Yeah, but I'd bet that you'd never forget where your spare key was...
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Yeah, but I'd bet that you'd never forget where your spare key was...
    Around my neck on paracord won't be hard to forget. Riding with that sac might prove very uncomfortable.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Lightbulb Have you ever wondered...

Will the spare key allow me to open the fuel cap door? If you've "lost" the FOB itself while out traveling, your likely to need some gas to get home!

This happened to me once upon a time when I didn't know "all the stuff" concerning the electronics on the newer bike.

Usually I wear the FOB on a lanyard around my neck. One morning it was swinging in my way while packing and breaking camp.
    So I stuffed the device into the outer chest pocket of the riding jacket; NO... I didn't zip it
    Geared up, started up, and off I ride southbound on the Ice Fields Parkway, away from Jasper.
    About 50 miles south I decide to synch-up a little more around the neck area, rather chilly it was.
    You likely realize what's coming.
    I come over a hill, long straight ahead, nobody following or ahead... I reach up to adjust my jacket collar real good.
    The lanyard latches on to the velcro at the jacket sleeve cuff without my knowledge.
    I lower my hand toward the controls and simultaneously glimpse, and feel something extra... departing the journey!
    Confirmed in the mirror view, the FOB and lanyard spinning and tumbling, oh the horror of first thinking I would loose it... as "it" flung off into the weeds.
    A well executed and panic induced 180 racing back, had me momentarily hopeful... was that "it" up ahead in the road?
    YES! And then... that horror thing again, over the rise came a fleet of motor vehicles. Equidistant to the FOB as I was.
    As I lowered the kickstand on the opposite shoulder of the roadway, I noticed the yellow warning icon displayed on the instrument cluster...
    some folks actually waved as they passed by.
    They were riding a big commercial tour bus that finished off the FOB; this was especially painful...and in shock, I think I waived back!
    I hurriedly collected the aftermath... "it" was no longer an operable Key FOB, no matter how closely I held the smashed array of mangled parts to the bike.

So there I stood; the bike running and now without a FOB, on a Sunday morning in a remote location far from home.
    Wondering... Does that little spare key I have open that fuel latch?

I know the "rest of the story"... do you?
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 05-08-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep a steady eye ahead, a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with brakes... for every mile of road there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)