• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good place to "stash" the spare key?

For my 640 I keep a spare key in my tool roll which lives in the rally boxes. Needs an Allen key to open which lives in the tank bag. I don't have a 2nd key for my R65, I haven't thought about it for my R1100 or my Aprillia and my 525 doesn't take a key. I should probably try to get another key for the R65.

When I'm not riding, I keep the keyless fob in my bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the bedroom where the bike lives. When riding, the keyless fob goes in my pants pocket. I keep the plastic spare key with a radio chip in it in my wallet. I have a spare metal key (that won't start the bike, but is good for the seat lock, saddlebags and GPS) that I carry around in my pocket all the time.

Guys, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.

Last edited:
I black tie wrap the black plastic spare to a wire/cable running down steering neck area. It blends in quite well. Then, I put a note on my iPhone as to where I put it...then at 6,000 miles or a year later, when I forget where I put it, I'll have a reminder...if I can remember I left myself one. :gerg

Guy, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.

Mine never left my neck on the paracord through the 8K mile trip to Ak. two years ago. 24/7 till I got home with the exception of showering in a motel. Don't want it on the bike, or in my pockets of pants or jackets. Things in my pants or jacket pockets can be lost. :thumb

I black tie wrap the black plastic spare to a wire/cable running down steering neck area. It blends in quite well. Then, I put a note on my iPhone as to where I put it...then at 6,000 miles or a year later, when I forget where I put it, I'll have a reminder...if I can remember I left myself one. :gerg

:laugh

Reminds me of the novel Still Alice by Lisa Genova. A good read for those interested in the effects of Altheizer's. It was on the NY Times best seller list for 40 weeks.

While thinking about my advancing age, I got interested in the topic a while back, and read some materials on the subject.

E.

You gotta have a key stashed on the bike IMHO and some cash.
A easy way is just get some black electrical tape, find a kinda out of sight frame member and wrap tape around the key
Lots of wraps, make it secure and try and remember where it is!!
I'm a chronic Lock my keys in my cars guy, I seem to do this about every 6 months.
Nick

Like brownie, I keep it around my neck on my dog tags. Pledge to my wife: never ride--even local--w/o dog tags.

I also wear dog tags when I ride. I like the idea of putting the key on the chain with them and will start doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a trip, I keep the spare key on a paracord necklace around my neck. Don't usually take the spare key out for day rides.

Yep, around my neck. Not with paracord, but with an old Dog Tag and chain. Souvenirs from a previous life, when I had different colored hair and was a bunch of pounds lighter. So unless my head gets separated from the rest of me, I'll have the key. :brow

:laugh

Reminds me of the novel Still Alice by Lisa Genova. A good read for those interested in the effects of Altheizer's. It was on the NY Times best seller list for 40 weeks.

While thinking about my advancing age, I got interested in the topic a while back, and read some materials on the subject.

E.

The novel was turned into a very powerful movie with Julianne Moore.

+1 to zip-tied behind the license plate. One advantage is that the license plate nuts are knurled so they can be detached with bare hands. But you'll need something to cut the zip tie.

I lock my tool roll in the tail case. So, if I need my emergency key, I won't have access to my tools. I suppose in a pinch, I can use my teeth to chew through the zip-tie. Now, there's a picture you can't forget! :wave

On one or more RT web sites (perhaps this one?) the solution I followed was to duct tape the spare plastic key in a ziplock bag to the inside of the pop-off frame cover on the left side of my '16 RT right above the shifter. That's the one opposite the battery compartment. Easy to get off by hand with no tools, doesn't fall off, and doesn't interfere with the ignition antenna.

I check it every now and then and it's still there and very securely attached. I don't feel like it's a place a thief would naturally look, and with the key-less ignition a thief would have to know how to place this spare next to the antenna to even get the bike started. :banghead Worst case, somebody might be able to steal a pannier or my top case and their content, but when travelling I take those off and keep them in my room.

I used a couple Zipties in a spot that it would not be seen or found unless you knew about it. One tie through the keyring hole and around a hard point that obviously will not go anywhere.

Back