Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Good place to "stash" the spare key?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    In my case I keep two flat spare keys, one per boot, under each boot's insole; one for each bike.

You can't buy a flat key for the newer bikes like the one in my picture.
    You can buy a non chipped key with a rubber head but it wont start the bike.

Bag key.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    In a pocket in your jacket.

More than one jacket? Take 10 seconds and transfer the key to the one you're wearing.
    We don't keep a fob or a key that will start the bike in a jacket pocket because sometimes we lay our jackets on the bike.
    If we wonder off for a short time someone can steal our jacket and the bike.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have more than one jacket, so that is out. Same with boots. Not really fire up about a neck chain. Split ring on a control cable from the other thread might be the best one yet. I am not sure about on the back side of a removable panel, seems too easy! I would rather put int on the bike somewhere so I can pretty much forget it until I need it. I am probably concerned about nothing as in the last 15 years and 200,000 I never lost a key. Can't say I ever have.

Keep 'em coming.
    Like you I have never lost a key.
    But, just in case I have my fob attached to my pants with a cord I made.
    My wife does the same with her fob.

20190823_074912.jpg

The hard key in my picture is for the seat lock and panniers.
    The RS does not have central locking and I don't trust the fob key on the stiff seat lock.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

RK Ryder
    On a three week ride to California and home to Ontario, part way through the trip I asked my riding partner where he kept his bike's spare key.

Fortunately he had no need for it on that trip as the spare was kept in his desk at home.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Until you lock the helmet in the topcase.
    The top case on my RT is keyed different. That key is in the tank bag so if I lock it I have the key in my pocket.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

For my 640 I keep a spare key in my tool roll which lives in the rally boxes. Needs an Allen key to open which lives in the tank bag. I don't have a 2nd key for my R65, I haven't thought about it for my R1100 or my Aprillia and my 525 doesn't take a key. I should probably try to get another key for the R65.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Any other ideas?
    PM sent
    2015 GSA

When I'm not riding, I keep the keyless fob in my bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the bedroom where the bike lives. When riding, the keyless fob goes in my pants pocket. I keep the plastic spare key with a radio chip in it in my wallet. I have a spare metal key (that won't start the bike, but is good for the seat lock, saddlebags and GPS) that I carry around in my pocket all the time.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Guys, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.
    Last edited by PoorUB; 04-20-2020 at 03:31 AM.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I black tie wrap the black plastic spare to a wire/cable running down steering neck area. It blends in quite well. Then, I put a note on my iPhone as to where I put it...then at 6,000 miles or a year later, when I forget where I put it, I'll have a reminder...if I can remember I left myself one.
    MOA #46783

Guy, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.
    Mine never left my neck on the paracord through the 8K mile trip to Ak. two years ago. 24/7 till I got home with the exception of showering in a motel. Don't want it on the bike, or in my pockets of pants or jackets. Things in my pants or jacket pockets can be lost.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterCooled View Post
    When I'm not riding, I keep the keyless fob in my bedroom at the opposite end of the house from the bedroom where the bike lives.
    Hang on, your bike has its own bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I black tie wrap the black plastic spare to a wire/cable running down steering neck area. It blends in quite well. Then, I put a note on my iPhone as to where I put it...then at 6,000 miles or a year later, when I forget where I put it, I'll have a reminder...if I can remember I left myself one.

Reminds me of the novel Still Alice by Lisa Genova. A good read for those interested in the effects of Altheizer's. It was on the NY Times best seller list for 40 weeks.

While thinking about my advancing age, I got interested in the topic a while back, and read some materials on the subject.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Hang on, your bike has its own bedroom?
    It seems so. That happens sometimes in Mexico I hear.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Nick Kennedy
    You gotta have a key stashed on the bike IMHO and some cash.
    A easy way is just get some black electrical tape, find a kinda out of sight frame member and wrap tape around the key
    Lots of wraps, make it secure and try and remember where it is!!
    I'm a chronic Lock my keys in my cars guy, I seem to do this about every 6 months.
    Nick