Thread: Custom earbuds

Custom earbuds

For anyone that knew Tim McCarthy who passed away few years ago is there anyone around that makes custom earbuds like he made? I have a pair of his earbuds where the wire broke and I really like to replace them with some with fitted earbuds

Big Ear? I have their custom plugs (), but know they also do earbuds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman | KF0ADW
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary, '16 R1200GSA - ALL SOLD
    Current ride - '19 R1250GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

I have ordered from Big Ear, then the one brother went on his own and started Fit-Ear and my wife and I have bought from him. I am on my third set in 15 years. It would have been only two, but they don't hold up well when you step on them.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I also have a set from Big Ear (the ones with the dual drivers). Both the sound and the fit is quite good with them. I was fitted and ordered them at the SLC Rally, so they have quite a few miles on them by now and seem to be holding up well.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Try also Etymotic.com to see if they have a provider near you.

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I also have a set from Big Ear (the ones with the dual drivers). Both the sound and the fit is quite good with them. I was fitted and ordered them at the SLC Rally, so they have quite a few miles on them by now and seem to be holding up well.

+1 for the Big Ear recommendation. Got mine in SLC as well and found the fit and performance excellent. I have connected them through my Cardo Packtalk slim using the 3.5mm jack.

I have heard (punny!) that some local hearing aid stores are able to repair some of these custom plugs (assuming they are open during this time)
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Etymotics

I have had ER6i earbuds with custom earmolds that I have had for over 10 years now. If you buy an Etymotic earphone they have a program to hook you up with a local hearing aid technician who squirts latex like goo in each ear and then sends it to them to be made into earbud molds to fit the earphone of your choice. They are very durable. Once I dropped one in a parking lot and by the time I realized I had a car had run over it. It had a cut in it but still worked ok. And as you know nothing works better than these when you keep them in on a long hot day.

More info on their website: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/custom-fit
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT, 2017 R1200RT
    1974 Yamaha DT360A
    2007 Eton Beemer Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheDog View Post
    I have had ER6i earbuds with custom earmolds that I have had for over 10 years now. If you buy an Etymotic earphone they have a program to hook you up with a local hearing aid technician who squirts latex like goo in each ear and then sends it to them to be made into earbud molds to fit the earphone of your choice. They are very durable. Once I dropped one in a parking lot and by the time I realized I had a car had run over it. It had a cut in it but still worked ok. And as you know nothing works better than these when you keep them in on a long hot day.

More info on their website: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/custom-fit
    Iím using their custom molded plugs. They are almost 20 years old. Indispensable on long trips. I was never able to get foam plugs to stay in my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by kn4hzz View Post
    For anyone that knew Tim McCarthy who passed away few years ago is there anyone around that makes custom earbuds like he made? I have a pair of his earbuds where the wire broke and I really like to replace them with some with fitted earbuds
    I do not know the gentleman that you referenced...

But I did get some custom molded headphones from Big Ear in December of 2019.
    They are well made - and WOW!!! What a difference.

I got the BE-1C's. Single transducer headphone/earbuds. They are a bit pricey.... approx $350. But they have an excellent fit and finish. The sound quality is excellent.

I would recommend them to anyone.
    https://www.bigearinc.com/product/si...er-headphones/

-Marc