• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil filter is stuck '01 K1200LT

jz3377

Well here I go trying to save money while in lockdown...My 01 k1200lt has an oil filter that must have been tightened by Hercules. I can't get it to budge. Been at it all day. The filter wrench keeps slipping off. Since it's on the bottom I can't get any leverage against it. Online videos suggest drilling holes in the filter wrench and driving screws into the filter. I started that process and got oil everywhere, so I am letting it drain overnight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well here I go trying to save money while in lockdown...My 01 k1200lt has an oil filter that must have been tightened by Hercules. I can't get it to budge. Been at it all day. The filter wrench keeps slipping off. Since it's on the bottom I can't get any leverage against it. Online videos suggest drilling holes in the filter wrench and driving screws into the filter. I started that process and got oil everywhere, so I am letting it drain overnight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Let it drain. Then install the screws. Then remove the filter. I have three holes in my filter wrench, predrilled. If I need to I stick the wrench on the filter and use a Sharpie to mark the three hole locations. Then I drill one smaller hole in the filter at one of the marks and let it drain. Then I drill the other two holes, install the three screws and remove the filter. I have only had to do this a handful of times but it works without fail.

Let it drain. Then install the screws. Then remove the filter. I have three holes in my filter wrench, predrilled. If I need to I stick the wrench on the filter and use a Sharpie to mark the three hole locations. Then I drill one smaller hole in the filter at one of the marks and let it drain. Then I drill the other two holes, install the three screws and remove the filter. I have only had to do this a handful of times but it works without fail.

Never heard of this technique- but I like it. :thumb
OM

Visualize if you will how much metal those three screws would need to tear for the filter to refuse to come loose.

No need for me to visualize, I get it :)
Probably the only thing I haven’t done. There was a stuck oil filter thread around a while back and I think I mentioned the last tough one I did-
Called to a friend’s house to find a stuck filter that had been worked on for a couple of hours. Truck was a Chevy V-8 aluminum casting area with just enough clearance to slip the band of the wrench in the dark side.
I had brought all my best tools but nothing would grab the mangled carcass. Ended up “nudging” the filter an 1/8” inch with an air chisel and catching up the rotation with the wrench and repeating the process a half dozen times. Finally got the filter off. It looked like it had been rattling around in a garbage disposer.
Ended up back at the next oil change as well, muscled it off pre-mangelation :)
OM

Last edited:
I haven't had your problem but a BMW mechanic I know suggests putting a shop rag into the filler wrench/cup to make a more snug fit when your situation arises.

Let us know how you make out.:thumb

Visualize if you will how much metal those three screws would need to tear for the filter to refuse to come loose.
I've used this technique a couple times with complete success. At least on my K's, the only other alternative has been to remove the oil pan for better access.

I haven't had your problem but a BMW mechanic I know suggests putting a shop rag into the filler wrench/cup to make a more snug fit when your situation arises.

Let us know how you make out.:thumb

The sticky drawer liner stuff works great too!

And... make sure you're turning the filter the correct way :brad

The sticky drawer liner stuff works great too!

And... make sure you're turning the filter the correct way :brad

Having the correct filter wrench is critical. Like most things in life, in this application, almost is never good enough.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it! I tried almost everything I could think to stuff into the wrench (rubber glove, shop rag, sandpaper) but nothing worked. By last night I had made a sloppy mess of things and went to bed trying to figure out how I was going to save face when I brought my bike to the dealer on a trailer.

The problem for me seemed like the filter wrench kept slipping off the filter. I visualized a solution: If I could wedge a block of wood underneath the socket driver, it wouldn't be able to slip off and would have to work! It didn't. The wood seemed too soft, and shimming it up with pieces of metal didn't work either. Mind you, all of this work had been done while lying on my side as the bike was on the center stand. Not much rook to maneuver, and no leverage.

Finally I decided to use science! A lever! I used a floor jack to apply upward pressure on the socket driver/filter wrench. As the wrench began to turn, I gradually decreased the pressure and it finally came off. Success!

My next adventure is going to be the air filter/fuel filter/coolant/valve check.

Finally I decided to use science! A lever! I used a floor jack to apply upward pressure on the socket driver/filter wrench. As the wrench began to turn, I gradually decreased the pressure and it finally came off. Success!

Very Innovative!! :dance

Congratulations! :thumb

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it! I tried almost everything I could think to stuff into the wrench (rubber glove, shop rag, sandpaper) but nothing worked. By last night I had made a sloppy mess of things and went to bed trying to figure out how I was going to save face when I brought my bike to the dealer on a trailer.

The problem for me seemed like the filter wrench kept slipping off the filter. I visualized a solution: If I could wedge a block of wood underneath the socket driver, it wouldn't be able to slip off and would have to work! It didn't. The wood seemed too soft, and shimming it up with pieces of metal didn't work either. Mind you, all of this work had been done while lying on my side as the bike was on the center stand. Not much rook to maneuver, and no leverage.

My next adventure is going to be the air filter/fuel filter/coolant/valve check.

nice one!

Having once destroyed a filter (and expand my vocabulary of words you wouldn't your kids to hear) in order to get it off, I resolved to never try to remove a filter from a cold motor. Ever since, I make sure the engine is fully warmed up before I change the oil / filter. I have yet to again use those new words I learned so long ago. :laugh

Having once destroyed a filter (and expand my vocabulary of words you wouldn't your kids to hear) in order to get it off, I resolved to never try to remove a filter from a cold motor. Ever since, I make sure the engine is fully warmed up before I change the oil / filter. I have yet to again use those new words I learned so long ago. :laugh

Like you, I always do this after a ride to heat everything up. However when I have asked shop mechanics how do they get bikes up to temperature for oil changes, the replies have always been"Don't have time for that, just change the oil cold".

Of course I am amazed that these same mechanics work on bikes, up on a lift, without the front wheel vice being used.

Love the ideas guys

I hacked a screwdriver into the filter and used it as a lever. I like the screw idea better. then I started buying filters with the hex head already on them so I would not have that problem again

Back