• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600B speedometer accuracy

albaker

is there an adjustment on the speedometer accuracy for the K1600B? My GPS and my speedometer seem to disagree. 70 on the speedometer seems to be 66-67 on the GPS and higher speeds seem to be even worse. as much as 20%

alb

Have a look at the bottom of the page. Reading “low” seem to be the norm.
OM

My GPS and my speedometer seem to disagree. 70 on the speedometer seems to be 66-67 on the GPS and higher speeds seem to be even worse. as much as 20%

alb

2% to 3% seems to be common on the newer bikes. Our last three bikes were approx 3% off.
I have not heard of any being 20% off.

odometer only has 1100 miles and i have noticed the 2-3 mph difference all along. didn't notice the higher error until today. since i am in line for trans recall i have been reading more and more posts. decided to check out the "speed limiter" question today. way out in the country with no other humans in site. speedometer/GPS 60/57, 70/66, 80/74, 122/didn't check the GPS. returned home, checked GPS "max speed" on recorded data and it said 99.8mph was the highest speed recorded. i had just cleared all data before the ride. i will have the service shop check it out when they have it for the trans recall and the software rework. maybe it might be a "slow GPS"!!! thanks for the replies.

The GPS is more accurate. It uses the Doppler effect to calculate speed.
I ignore the speedo on the motorcycle.

Joe

odometer only has 1100 miles and i have noticed the 2-3 mph difference all along. didn't notice the higher error until today. since i am in line for trans recall i have been reading more and more posts. decided to check out the "speed limiter" question today. way out in the country with no other humans in site. speedometer/GPS 60/57, 70/66, 80/74, 122/didn't check the GPS. returned home, checked GPS "max speed" on recorded data and it said 99.8mph was the highest speed recorded. i had just cleared all data before the ride. i will have the service shop check it out when they have it for the trans recall and the software rework. maybe it might be a "slow GPS"!!! thanks for the replies.

That's way too much error. Hopefully it's outside of BMW's allowable error and they can fix it.

service manager says they will check it out when i take it in for the trans recall. they got approval to order my parts today. he says the parts are going out quickly now and he gets them in 3-5 days after order. i should be able to get it in the shop next week. trans recall, software update, speedometer check and how do you balance the speakers front to rear. glad i don't have too many things to have checked and explained. thanks for the replies. alb

Back