• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

73 R60/5 will not start

Could be worse

It could be worse than working on your bike, I own a home and I have a long list of things I should be doing but don't because I can ride or work on the bikes. LOL

Besides looking up the microfiche at Max's you would not go bad in investing in a Chilton's book or Hayes,

It is always fun to bring a dead bike back to life again. St.

Resist the temptation to order your parts from these guys. You will get much better prices from Max BMW as referenced earlier.

That is true. But I still buy from Bing Agency because I prefer to support the small independent business guy instead of the multi-shop corporate conglomerate. I am also spoiled by the memory of the times in the not too distant past that the BMW supply chain had very few Bing parts. They did like to sell entire throttle bodies though, even though all that was really needed was a new throttle body shaft. That was not any dealership's fault but left a very bad taste in my mouth. So bad in fact that a friend (now a BMW dealership principal owner) machined a new throttle body shaft for me instead of selling me a new throttle body for north of $500. The next time I needed a Bing part I just ordered from Bing Agency.

is running and holding now. really appreciate everyone's suggestions and help.

I guess it was a combination of low gas and carb adjustments. I would like to believe it was the setting on the cabs. :)

had to screw in all the way both screws on the carbs, start it and then back out the screws lo lower the revs till it was about to stall then back in just a just a tiny bit. cant tell what the idle revs are as the tachometer is very jumpy. also the speedometer shows I was doing 60mph while on center stand on my driveway.
will do some research on where to send tacho/spedo in for repair and while its out will focus on front fork seals, clean up all contacts on the headlight, new points. check the rest of the fluids and so on.

what the secret to brighten it up the engine a bit and remove oxidation and pitting?

I am not planning to vapor or bead blast it, i think that takes away from the character.

Thank you all.

It's running now. Cleaned petcocks, replaced the filter screens, flushed the tank, cleaned carbs and runs well.
I have a leak on the right cylinder through the rings. I get decent compression but when I do a leak down test I get 25% leak and I can feel air coming out of the oil filler plug. Those tests were done with cold engine. Will repeat tests with warm engine.

Thank you for your help.

Back