• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What happened to the Posse thread??

gsinnc

I was really enjoying and getting a lot of good info from that "Let's form some posses" thread and I loved the idea of meeting folks along the way to this or any Rally. :dunno

The OP asked that the thread be deleted. He indicated that the information that had been gathered about places to visit, etc., might be posted somewhere on the interwebs whenever things get back to normal with respect to social interactions. Looks some it ended up in April's ON.

Sorry about that!

Bummer! I enjoyed that thread till it deteriorated and had intended to take notes for future adventures. I hope the info comes back in some form.

Pete

Sometimes a thread originator asks, sometimes in the opening post, to keep the thread on track.
Sometimes a thread originator asks a contributor to limit non-helpful remarks.......and they don’t- or won’t.
Sometimes a thread reader gets on in the middle of a thread and the misdirection is unintentional....but still won’t quit when asked.
Sometimes a thread originator can’t deal with excessive poop 💩 in the thread- and ask for it’s removal.
Courtesy and respect is a good course.
OM

Sometimes a thread originator asks, sometimes in the opening post, to keep the thread on track.
Sometimes a thread originator asks a contributor to limit non-helpful remarks.......and they don’t- or won’t.
Sometimes a thread reader gets on in the middle of a thread and the misdirection is unintentional....but still won’t quit when asked.
Sometimes a thread originator can’t deal with excessive poop 💩 in the thread- and ask for it’s removal.
OM

Yes ... I agree with all the above. And honestly thought that was kind of what the moderators did ...keep all us "cats herded". We see it all the time in a lot of threads and we all sometimes need a little reminder to "stay within the lines" .

OM

Where's that damn like button! :thumb

Yes ... I agree with all the above. And honestly thought that was kind of what the moderators did ...keep all us "cats herded". We see it all the time in a lot of threads and we all sometimes need a little reminder to "stay within the lines" .

Well, sorta :)
Thread direction here on the MOA forum is generally pretty good. The Moderators work to keep things organized and “within the lines” and running smoothly. If the Moderators were to “ride herd” on every thread, it would be a disservice to the forum- and the Members.
Most of the thread “high jacks” are unintentional (best I can tell) and some ever mention their comment is a bit off the thread and thoughtful. Some of the posters keyboards seem to have Tourette’s and they type on.
Like “wearing a mask” and “social distancing”, respect for others can lead to a better experience.
If someone needs to find a Moderator for help, a quick link is in my sig line. It can also be found at the bottom of the page using “view forum leaders”.
Enjoy and be safe.
Gary

OM

Like.gif

The OP asked that the thread be deleted. He indicated that the information that had been gathered about places to visit, etc., might be posted somewhere on the interwebs whenever things get back to normal with respect to social interactions. Looks some it ended up in April's ON.

Sorry about that!

That's a shame. The thread had a lot of good info that could have been used by others even if the rally does not happen.

Like the posters that say "I don't want to hijack the thread, but..." and proceed to hijack the thread.

Well, sorta :)
Thread direction here on the MOA forum is generally pretty good. The Moderators work to keep things organized and “within the lines” and running smoothly. If the Moderators were to “ride herd” on every thread, it would be a disservice to the forum- and the Members.
Most of the thread “high jacks” are unintentional (best I can tell) and some ever mention their comment is a bit off the thread and thoughtful. Some of the posters keyboards seem to have Tourette’s and they type on.
Like “wearing a mask” and “social distancing”, respect for others can lead to a better experience.
If someone needs to find a Moderator for help, a quick link is in my sig line. It can also be found at the bottom of the page using “view forum leaders”.
Enjoy and be safe.
Gary

In my opinion the moderators need to be more aggressive when someone is directly confronting another poster. Letting people "work it out" is a good approach only IF the hijack or conflict is truly unintentional. However, when someone bombs a thread with an intentional hijack it's pretty obvious they want to cause conflict and derail the thread. Time for the cavalry.

Greg -

The call to do that is a bit nuanced. Personally, I might not read between the lines as well as the next person. So I think it can be hard to read intentionality down the long internet wires. As I think Gary was getting at, if we err on the side of clamping down first, asking questions later, then things get to be a bit stifled and the objections begin to rise in the background. By in large, most members/posters understand what is going on and the "stirrers" come down to those that have done that before. In those cases, we kinda have a history and can be a bit more proactive. But generally, I think the tendency is to let things go, unless completely over the line, and then see what some of the reactions are. Members have been good about reporting posts if they feel something has drifted too far out of the gray area.

We have a lot of snark here on the forum...that's people's personalities coming out...and often that in itself is not helpful. If we were all sitting around the real campfire and not the virtual one, we'd be able to read voice and body cues. If something is way out of line for prime time TV, then that's a problem. But cable TV?? That can be a bit fuzzy! :

In my opinion the moderators need to be more aggressive when someone is directly confronting another poster. Letting people "work it out" is a good approach only IF the hijack or conflict is truly unintentional. However, when someone bombs a thread with an intentional hijack it's pretty obvious they want to cause conflict and derail the thread. Time for the cavalry.

Ditto. It would have been nice to delete the confrontation, but leave the valuable info intact. We're all responsible adults capable of weighing risks and making informed decisions. None of us would put our own or others' lives at risk on the basis of what they read in a single online post.

Moderators should have the ability to put someone in the corner for a timeout when indicated.

Pete

I made a few off topic posts which Ian objected to when I predicted the rally was not going to happen. He felt that the thread was being derailed and asked me directly, privately, to remove my posts. I agreed and did. Another poster refused and plowed on with more aggression. So Ian took his toys and went home. I think it was to the detriment of the Forum and the BMW MOA because Ian had been a good long time contributor. But it was his choice.

Greg -

The call to do that is a bit nuanced. Personally, I might not read between the lines as well as the next person. So I think it can be hard to read intentionality down the long internet wires. As I think Gary was getting at, if we err on the side of clamping down first, asking questions later, then things get to be a bit stifled and the objections begin to rise in the background. By in large, most members/posters understand what is going on and the "stirrers" come down to those that have done that before. In those cases, we kinda have a history and can be a bit more proactive. But generally, I think the tendency is to let things go, unless completely over the line, and then see what some of the reactions are. Members have been good about reporting posts if they feel something has drifted too far out of the gray area.

We have a lot of snark here on the forum...that's people's personalities coming out...and often that in itself is not helpful. If we were all sitting around the real campfire and not the virtual one, we'd be able to read voice and body cues. If something is way out of line for prime time TV, then that's a problem. But cable TV?? That can be a bit fuzzy! :

Kurt,
I don't disagree with anything you say here but for maybe "the tendency is to let things go, unless completely over the line, and then see what some of the reactions are". And specifically when someone appears to be intentionally disrupting the thread and/or attacking someone. Sure, such a situation is still a judgement call, but in case of doubt at least a PM to the suspected "offender" to check motivation could be in order.

I was a moderator at times and the Admin of this Forum some years ago (back when there was one Admin) and have seen it go through a lot of changes in vibe and moderation philosophy. That taught me keeping the cats headed is as much art as science - actually almost all art. So, I think I get it. Still, conflict allowed to continue and replicate will drive people away to the benefit of no one but the trouble makers, as I think we all agree. Thanks for listening.

Ditto. It would have been nice to delete the confrontation, but leave the valuable info intact. We're all responsible adults capable of weighing risks and making informed decisions. None of us would put our own or others' lives at risk on the basis of what they read in a single online post.

Moderators should have the ability to put someone in the corner for a timeout when indicated.

Pete

Not quite that easy or cut and dried. Look how upset someone can get when someone 3000 miles away thinks their oil (choice) is the only way to go. :eek
Goofy posting, continually dragging a “specific” thread off into the weeds, snarky- one word answers or climbing on someone (especially new to the forum) says more about the poster than the contributed comment.
It’s the Members forum, the Moderators are here to help.
OM

Pete

+1 ...what he said !!

Back