Thread: R60/6 rear wheel

R60/6 rear wheel

I have replaced the rear tire on my 1976 r60/6. Am I correct only cleaning but not greasing the left inner wheel splines/gears.

Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    I have replaced the rear tire on my 1976 r60/6. Am I correct only cleaning but not greasing the left inner wheel splines/gears.
    I personally would re-lubricate the clean splines with a moly grease with at least 25% moly content by volume.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

1976 r60/6 rear wheel

Thank you.That is just what I needed to know.

R60/6 rear wheel

Hi again. I have gone to two cities and 6 auto stores re: moly grease. Nobody has ever even heard of 25% moly grease. 5% is the norm even at garages. Can I use moly grease gun lube?

Check out section 6A on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/chemicalsetc.htm

Check motorcycle shops. Honda and Yamaha have their own greases. Honda used to offer Honda Moly 60 but that went away a number of years ago. I believe, as Snowbum says, that was replaced by Honda Moly 77. Not quite as good but suitable.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    Hi again. I have gone to two cities and 6 auto stores re: moly grease. Nobody has ever even heard of 25% moly grease. 5% is the norm even at garages. Can I use moly grease gun lube?
    That is the issue. That 5% stuff is moly in name only. It is primarily a gimmick. It is not sufficient moly. Guard Dog (now out of business) had GD525 grease. Several other companies offer high moly stuff. Not O'Reilly or Auto Zone though.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Ted Porter is offering this: TS-60 Spine Lube

I'm sure it would do the trick and he'll ship it right to your door. You might find some other good stuff while you're on his site- fair warning!
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Don't use

Don't use regular grease! It will not stay in place to do the job. What you would end up with is a nicely greased drum brake lining but little or no grease on the splines.

No, this is not something I have experienced myself, I have seen it done by others. LOL. St.