• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hey, the wall is bulging...RV wall delamination

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Seems like they all do it. Doesn’t seem that brand makes a difference. If your walls, and sometimes the roofs, get to where the start to “bulge”. It’s usually caused by water infiltration leading to the adhesive to give up and then the old “dry-rot.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on repair methods, mostly very labor intensive and invasive. Seems like with all the work it will still look like a repair. My Winnebago’s worst spot is/was due to poor engineering and locating the outside fresh water fill under a roof drain :banghead
Anyway, if you have it, have you worked on it? On mine, I looked it over and decided to “shore it up” by through-bolting with 1/2” stainless carriage bolts on the outside and stainless fender washers on the inside. Each bolt is sealed with 3M 5200 and the heads covered on the outside- in white.
It looks a little goofy but has really straightened the wall profile and with a “strategic” pattern, looks like it was done on purpose.
Anyone else mess with this? :ear
OM

Have seen it, but luckily not on current unit. With the solid laminate inside it seems it could take some time to manifest. Sounds like you found a workable fix. So hard to ensure a sealed roof covering is always
a concern.

My current issue was the PO leaving a pop out vent open over the kitchen counter and the countertops stayed damp warping the edges. No signs of mold, but a major countertop replacement is planned. Will replace with Silestone type top and increase size a bit as counterspace is skimpy.

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd reply. We were given a 2002 Gulf stream motorhome. It had been sitting up several years with no cover. Water had leaked through the roof and walls, and destroyed much of the flooring. The roof and flooring were easy. The delamination, not so much. From the top of the walls, we separated the fiberglass and used syringes and tubing to put epoxy into the walls. We made a temporary wall next to the motorhome, and bought these extenders from Harbor Freight to put pressure on the exterior of the motorhome until it set. Very time intensive, but we cured most of the delamination, and now have a very inexpensive coach. Let me know if you have any questions.

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd reply. We were given a 2002 Gulf stream motorhome. It had been sitting up several years with no cover. Water had leaked through the roof and walls, and destroyed much of the flooring. The roof and flooring were easy. The delamination, not so much. From the top of the walls, we separated the fiberglass and used syringes and tubing to put epoxy into the walls. We made a temporary wall next to the motorhome, and bought these extenders from Harbor Freight to put pressure on the exterior of the motorhome until it set. Very time intensive, but we cured most of the delamination, and now have a very inexpensive coach. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice :thumb

“RV’ing..... it’s like a boat without the salt water”.

OM

I've read the two long and excellent RV restoration threads on ADVrider and it's clear that these things aren't very well built. The overriding challenge is keeping the weight down.

When my father passed away many years ago, the first thing I did as executor was sell his Winnebago. The diff blew just a few months later. The buyer was a neighbour friend of mine who had excellent mechanical skills, but even he couldn't fix that one.

Back