• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wonder Wheel for the rest of us!?

brian_pnw

Before I found my “perfect” bike (2009 K1300GT) I owned a 2015 1200GS and a 2019 K1600GTL. I really loved the interaction with my GS (less functional on the newer GTL for some reason) and the Navi VI/V. I never realized how the Wonder Wheel made using the Garmin such a great tool until I was sent backward to my K1300.

So this is a call to all you EE’s that are stuck at home with your soldering irons in hand glowing red hot for a new project.

Challenge: build a retrofit wonder wheel integration kit for our K bikes. I understand this isn’t going to be cheap, but could it be done? I use the HEX 911wifi tool and that thing can read everything happening including the last mechanic that worked on the bikes birthday! Seriously, If you have ever used the WW and then had to go without, it’s much like crank vs power windows (yes, I understand bikes don’t have windows)

So let’s hear it!:thumb

Brian, I'm also used to the wonderwheel on my GSA. I don't think--even with the ingenuity on this board--that there's a way to fashion wonderwheel functionality on our K-Bikes. I guess nothing is impossible as long as you throw enough money at it.

I mounted the BMW 4 button cradle so I could move the NAV VI back and forth between bikes, on a BikePenR mount (very nice piece of kit), that gets me a lot of functionality with the GPS. One-touch scrolling in and out, the ability to access other pages in the NAV VI. My K1300S has one-touch scrolling for temperature, range, tire pressures, etc. with the onboard computer option.

4 button.jpg

4 mount.jpg

Back