Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2018 K1600B - Software Recall?

Quote Originally Posted by k1200travelor View Post
    That's what the software update says.
    I don't care what the update says, I want to know what actually happens. If the bike is sitting still, with the ignition on and someone applies the brakes, does the brake light flash, or on steady.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I don't care what the update says, I want to know what actually happens. If the bike is sitting still, with the ignition on and someone applies the brakes, does the brake light flash, or on steady.
    I watched a couple BMW videos from 2015 or 2016 showing dynamic brake light on a GS and I'm not sure.
    They say the light flashes during emergency braking. Emergency braking probably means ABS has kicked in but they really do not say.
    Below a certain speed the 4 way flashes come on. Not sure if the K1600 does that.

If we ever get dynamic brake lights in the US I hope it works with hard braking before ABS activates.

We have goofy head and taillight laws in the US. It took forever before we got decent car and motorcycle headlights.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Anyone could add a set of Skene Design P3 lights to most any BMW. Not a lot of money, and in 80K miles of riding I've never had an LEO stop me to "discuss" my flashing lights in the rear: https://www.skenelights.com/online-s...tems-c22720602
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Would somebody who owns a K1600B with a topcase with a brake light please go apply the brakes and see if the light flashes or not. There must be an owner in this sub forum and applying the brake to see if the topcase light flashes ought to be viewed as a scientific adventure.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul, good idea. We have nothing else to do.

Now just sit and wait....
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Would somebody who owns a K1600B with a topcase with a brake light please go apply the brakes and see if the light flashes or not. There must be an owner in this sub forum and applying the brake to see if the topcase light flashes ought to be viewed as a scientific adventure.
    Paul - per the official BMW Software Update information, the top case light only flashes when the anti-lock is activated. Just to answer your question, I just went to the garage and turned on the ignition and stepped on the brake. The brake lights do not flash. Then I started the bike and stepped on the brake - the brakes lights do not flash. Then I drove down the street and had my wife observe - the brake lights do not flash!

As I have maintained all through this tread, PER the BMW Software Update the top case brake light will flash when the anti-lock brake function is activated as a result of brake use.
    I didn't want to get involved with whether or not aftermarket brake modulators or auxiliary lights ("Skeen or others") are legal or piss people off because that is a different issue and has NOTHING to do with the US DOT not allowing a motorcycle manufacturer to provide flashing brake lights activated by the anti-lock brake function.

Quote Originally Posted by k1200travelor View Post
    Paul - per the official BMW Software Update information, the top case light only flashes when the anti-lock is activated. Just to answer your question, I just went to the garage and turned on the ignition and stepped on the brake. The brake lights do not flash. Then I started the bike and stepped on the brake - the brakes lights do not flash. Then I drove down the street and had my wife observe - the brake lights do not flash!
    Thanks. I understood that to be the case but at least one person was adamant that it wasn't.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

OK guys, can we have a conversation without anyone getting really emotional?
    I addressed the post based on what I read, it said that the brake lights flash under heavy braking. I didn't see anywhere that the recall said when anti-lock brakes were activated (although it could and I missed it).
    I also made a statement that the brake lights aren't connected to the anti-lock system in any way (which is correct, brake activation is what activates the brake lights through a separate circuit). This statement wound someone up really tight.
    Flashing brake lights can be controlled by a number of ways, they could activate from a pendulum style "G meter type" device which is calibrated to feel deceleration forces and when it gets to whatever force the BMW engineers calibrated it to, it provides a ground to a relay which activates a circuit that pulses the brakes.
    It could be a stand alone circuit that monitors the anti lock voltage and once it senses the anti lock brakes pulsing, it modulates the voltage going to the brake lights.

So, if the recall is based on the anti lock brakes activating, the circuit isn't directly tapped off the anti lock brakes, it's a monitor circuit that is stand alone otherwise any problem with the brake light would cause problems with the anti lock brakes which would be no good.
    So, if my post regarding the brake light circuit was confusing for you, I understand. The bike is very complicated electrically and unless you are trained about it, do it for a living or are simply a geek, it's very difficult to understand.

Now, does anyone know for certain if this recall is worded specifically to say anything about anti lock brake activation?
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

The NHTSA Recall notice does not specifically mention anti-lock braking. Here is the information from the NHTSA Recall Notice #20V-146:

"March 12, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V146000
    Brake Lights Flash During Braking/FMVSS 108
    A flashing brake light can cause confusion to other drivers on the road, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V146000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Number of Units Affected 4,026

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020 F900R, F900XR, S1000RR, F750GS, F850GS, F850GS Adventure, R1250GS, R1250GS Adventure, R1250RS, R1250R, RnineT, RnineT Pure and RnineT Scrambler and 2019-2020 S1000R motorcycles. The brake light may flash instead of remain steady during emergency braking. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Remedy

BMW will notify owner, and dealers will reprogram the emergency stop signal function, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 4, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417."

You'll note that the K1600 has been removed from the recall notice.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly