Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: 2018 K1600B - Software Recall?

  1. #16
    Registered User jonnybow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Apparently then both BMW corporate and the NHTSA also fail to understand that. BMW says the lights flash when ABS engages which is not legal in the US so the need for the recall and reprogramming. I think I should call BMW and tell them they can stop the recall because Jonnybow says the ABS brakes and the brake light are separate systems.
    Since you are having such a difficult time understanding just how this all works, maybe it'd be the perfect thing for you to do by calling your dealer or corporate, maybe they'll be able to explain how things work.
    I can't help you if you think the brake lights are directly linked to the anti skid system.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Since you are having such a difficult time understanding just how this all works, maybe it'd be the perfect thing for you to do by calling your dealer or corporate, maybe they'll be able to explain how things work.
    I can't help you if you think the brake lights are directly linked to the anti skid system.
    It is one computer talking to another computer under certain circumstances. It actually is very simple for a microprocessor to do.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Since you are having such a difficult time understanding just how this all works, maybe it'd be the perfect thing for you to do by calling your dealer or corporate, maybe they'll be able to explain how things work.
    I can't help you if you think the brake lights are directly linked to the anti skid system.
    You really just don't get it, do you? According to your argument, the brake light shouldn't go on when you step on the brake. I know that the concept of the brake light being connected to the brake circuit is really difficult to grasp, but please try. BMW has said that the top case brake light flashes when the anti-lock brakes are activated (gee, they must be connected SOMEHOW!). This is not legal in the US so they are reprogramming the computer system to eliminate it. End of story.

  4. #19
    Registered User jonnybow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by k1200travelor View Post
    You really just don't get it, do you? According to your argument, the brake light shouldn't go on when you step on the brake. I know that the concept of the brake light being connected to the brake circuit is really difficult to grasp, but please try. BMW has said that the top case brake light flashes when the anti-lock brakes are activated (gee, they must be connected SOMEHOW!). This is not legal in the US so they are reprogramming the computer system to eliminate it. End of story.
    Excellent, you do possess some knowledge of a brake circuit.
    Now, that you have that down...you made a statement that started this discussion "Has to do with the top case taillight that flashes when heavy braking activates the anti-locks brakes."
    to which I started some feedback. The flashing brake lights have no electrical tie in to the anti-lock brakes. I stand by that statement.
    The recall has zero to do with the anti lock brakes and everything to do with a flashing brake light under heavy braking. Tail light flashers can activate several ways and none has to do with the activation of anti lock brakes.
    I'm sorry that you got defensive about this but that's they way the system works.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

  5. #20
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,588


    Play nice please
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Excellent, you do possess some knowledge of a brake circuit.
    Now, that you have that down...you made a statement that started this discussion "Has to do with the top case taillight that flashes when heavy braking activates the anti-locks brakes."
    to which I started some feedback. The flashing brake lights have no electrical tie in to the anti-lock brakes. I stand by that statement.
    The recall has zero to do with the anti lock brakes and everything to do with a flashing brake light under heavy braking. Tail light flashers can activate several ways and none has to do with the activation of anti lock brakes.
    I'm sorry that you got defensive about this but that's they way the system works.
    Sarcasm does not become you, especially when you don't seem to understand a simple concept. I really can't believe how obtuse you are. And I didn't get defensive, I just explained what BMW says is the reason for the recall. And since I work for a BMW M/C dealer I think I have a far better understanding of this situation than you ever will.
    I said that the top case brake light flashes when heavy braking activates the anti lock brakes. Which it does. Heavy braking which does NOT activate the antilock circuit does not cause the brake light to flash. So the recall has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE BRAKE LIGHT FLASHING when the anti-lock brakes are activated. Is that simple enough for you to understand?

  7. #22
    Registered User jonnybow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    80
    Ok great, you continue life thinking that the brake lights are tied in to the anti lock brakes and since you work for a dealer, you know that it's true.
    Have a great day sir, you are an excellent representative for your fine dealership.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA
    BMW MOA #220293

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnybow View Post
    Ok great, you continue life thinking that the brake lights are tied in to the anti lock brakes and since you work for a dealer, you know that it's true.
    Have a great day sir, you are an excellent representative for your fine dealership.
    Okay, jonnybow, since you know it all why don't you tell us why the top case brake light flashes when the anti-lock brake are activated? That's what BMW says is the reason for the software update. Perhaps you have other information that they are not aware of.

  9. #24
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,141
    Why donít we call it a day on this
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    805
    What? Good clean fun entertainment!


    I have to ask, if the flashing brake light is "tied" to the activation of the ABS, the brake light does not flash under normal, light braking? It only flashes when the ABS is activated?
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  11. #26
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,141
    Not helpful.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Not helpful.
    OM
    I know, I can't help it. It's my nature!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    What? Good clean fun entertainment!


    I have to ask, if the flashing brake light is "tied" to the activation of the ABS, the brake light does not flash under normal, light braking? It only flashes when the ABS is activated?
    That's what the software update says.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I have to ask, if the flashing brake light is "tied" to the activation of the ABS, the brake light does not flash under normal, light braking? It only flashes when the ABS is activated?
    Easy peasy to do too. The ABS microprocessor simply needs to send a signal to the microprocessor that controls the brake light function. Unless I missed something this is on a bike with a single wire for the tail and brake light function whereby one voltage powers the tail light and increased voltage makes it brighter to be a brake light. So adding in a simple little program to flash the trunk brake light if ABS is activated would be a good test question for a second year coding student.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  15. #30
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,588
    I donít get the whole recall anyways
    How many of you have actually had ABS engage on a regular basis as well? Do they flash with any braking or
    just under ABS engagement?

    I suppose everyone of us with flashing brake lights are outlaws and need to be removed from the road. ( I know BC1100S isnít a fan) Never been stopped in three countries and almost all US states for over 13 years of use on multiple models...

    See, can ask a question and share opinion without friction
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Similar Threads

  1. Dropped my K1600B off for the Transmission Recall
    By 18grandam in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2020, 04:38 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2019, 10:34 AM
  3. Limited speed on K1600B Grand America 2018
    By lougi in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-17-2019, 04:43 AM
  4. 2018 k1600b
    By stig302 in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM
  5. Stalling Software Recall
    By Semper_Fi in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •