• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 K1600B - Software Recall?

growserpilot

While arranging for my K1600B Grand America to be serviced for the transmission recall the service tech informed me that there is a Software Recall for the bike as well. Has anyone else heard of this recall and know what the nature of it is?

Joe Lucido
2018 K1600B Grand America
Fort Worth, TX
"Acta Non Verba"

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Not familiar with this specifically but it seems there is frequently a “latest and greatest” software available for these heavily computer controlled machines.
There is a “transmission thread” running. It would be good to hear how you make out.
Good luck.
Gary

Welcome to the forum!
Not familiar with this specifically but it seems there is frequently a “latest and greatest” software available for these heavily computer controlled machines.
There is a “transmission thread” running. It would be good to hear how you make out.
Good luck.
Gary

I'll keep everyone posted! Thank you for welcoming me sir.

Joe

I checked the NHTSA website. Only recall on 2018 K1600B is the transmission. There are 33 complaints registered, however.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 6.29.29 AM.png

While arranging for my K1600B Grand America to be serviced for the transmission recall the service tech informed me that there is a Software Recall for the bike as well. Has anyone else heard of this recall and know what the nature of it is?

Joe Lucido
2018 K1600B Grand America
Fort Worth, TX
"Acta Non Verba"

It's an update. Has to do with the top case taillight that flashes when heavy braking activates the anti-locks brakes. Personally, I think it's a smart feature but the US DOT doesn't so BMW is updating the software to a standard solid brake light. We are so behind the rest of the world with advanced features. Like the stupid red turn signals on the B and Grand America. The rest of the world get yellow, we are stuck with red.

It's an update. Has to do with the top case taillight that flashes when heavy braking activates the anti-locks brakes. Personally, I think it's a smart feature but the US DOT doesn't so BMW is updating the software to a standard solid brake light. We are so behind the rest of the world with advanced features. Like the stupid red turn signals on the B and Grand America. The rest of the world get yellow, we are stuck with red.

Actually, we're not stuck with red. A quick review of FMVSS 108, the federal standard that prescribes vehicle lighting, shows that rear turn signals can be red or amber. The choice was apparently BMW's.

Looks like the NHTSA Recall #20V-146 does not apply to 2018 K1600, only 2019 and 2020. A total of 1268 bikes:

NHTSA 20V146.png

Actually, we're not stuck with red. A quick review of FMVSS 108, the federal standard that prescribes vehicle lighting, shows that rear turn signals can be red or amber. The choice was apparently BMW's.

Ok, I'm good with that. I still think it is stupid on BMW's part if only from a logistics standpoint. Canada gets yellow turn signals as does the rest of the world. But the US gets red ones so BMW has to product 2 products instead of one, stock 2 products instead of one and set up the whole supply chain for 2 different parts instead of 1 common part. Only the German's!!! I used to work for a medical company that formed an alliance with a German company to market and sell our products which were totally different from what they had experience with. There as a very popular saying about the German company personnel who just didn't understand our product but tried to force their methodology on the customers. "You can always tell a German, but you can't tell them much!"

Like the stupid red turn signals on the B and Grand America. The rest of the world get yellow, we are stuck with red.

I don't know, but are the rear turn signals on all the time as running lights on the B and GA? If they are they need to be red. Turns only can be amber.

I don't know, but are the rear turn signals on all the time as running lights on the B and GA? If they are they need to be red. Turns only can be amber.

No, turn signals are not on all the time different set of LED's from the running/brake lights. Rest of the world is amber.

I hope this is just a mis-quote. In no way does the tail light have any input to the anti-lock brake system nor the other way around.

I hope this is just a mis-quote. In no way does the tail light have any input to the anti-lock brake system nor the other way around.

And you would be wrong. The update is to eliminate a flashing stop light on the top case when the anti-lock brakes are activated. Call your dealer and get the facts.

And you would be wrong. The update is to eliminate a flashing stop light on the top case when the anti-lock brakes are activated. Call your dealer and get the facts.

So, with that mindset, if you lost a tail light, your anti lock brakes will be inop?
You aren't understanding completely, the anti lock brakes and the flashing brake light are two separate systems.

So, with that mindset, if you lost a tail light, your anti lock brakes will be inop?
You aren't understanding completely, the anti lock brakes and the flashing brake light are two separate systems.

Apparently then both BMW corporate and the NHTSA also fail to understand that. BMW says the lights flash when ABS engages which is not legal in the US so the need for the recall and reprogramming. I think I should call BMW and tell them they can stop the recall because Jonnybow says the ABS brakes and the brake light are separate systems.

Apparently then both BMW corporate and the NHTSA also fail to understand that. BMW says the lights flash when ABS engages which is not legal in the US so the need for the recall and reprogramming. I think I should call BMW and tell them they can stop the recall because Jonnybow says the ABS brakes and the brake light are separate systems.

Since you are having such a difficult time understanding just how this all works, maybe it'd be the perfect thing for you to do by calling your dealer or corporate, maybe they'll be able to explain how things work.
I can't help you if you think the brake lights are directly linked to the anti skid system.

Since you are having such a difficult time understanding just how this all works, maybe it'd be the perfect thing for you to do by calling your dealer or corporate, maybe they'll be able to explain how things work.
I can't help you if you think the brake lights are directly linked to the anti skid system.

It is one computer talking to another computer under certain circumstances. It actually is very simple for a microprocessor to do.

You really just don't get it, do you? According to your argument, the brake light shouldn't go on when you step on the brake. I know that the concept of the brake light being connected to the brake circuit is really difficult to grasp, but please try. BMW has said that the top case brake light flashes when the anti-lock brakes are activated (gee, they must be connected SOMEHOW!). This is not legal in the US so they are reprogramming the computer system to eliminate it. End of story.

You really just don't get it, do you? According to your argument, the brake light shouldn't go on when you step on the brake. I know that the concept of the brake light being connected to the brake circuit is really difficult to grasp, but please try. BMW has said that the top case brake light flashes when the anti-lock brakes are activated (gee, they must be connected SOMEHOW!). This is not legal in the US so they are reprogramming the computer system to eliminate it. End of story.

Excellent, you do possess some knowledge of a brake circuit.
Now, that you have that down...you made a statement that started this discussion "Has to do with the top case taillight that flashes when heavy braking activates the anti-locks brakes."
to which I started some feedback. The flashing brake lights have no electrical tie in to the anti-lock brakes. I stand by that statement.
The recall has zero to do with the anti lock brakes and everything to do with a flashing brake light under heavy braking. Tail light flashers can activate several ways and none has to do with the activation of anti lock brakes.
I'm sorry that you got defensive about this but that's they way the system works.

Back