• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Motorcycles During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Bike in North Carolina

H is still commuting a few times a week by bike. I have made grocery runs as well. We both took a long loop on motors Sunday afternoon after a long bicycle ride. So, on two wheels a lot.

I will avoid both SanAntonio and Travis county (Austin) until things ease up. Our county had 6 reported, however, neighbor Travis Co. 2100 cases and 60 deaths... 40 miles away...SATX has 1900 and 57... also 40 miles away.
Neither is “ flattened” or slowing.

I am buying a bike in NC and want to go fly and ride home soon. Waiting on seeing a “ safest route/ timeline” to pull that off. Seeing the confusion with airlines, that may be longer :banghead Planned on camping as well but all the state/ nat’l parks on my route are not open yet or restricted to day use. Those same states are also not flattened either. Was avoiding hotels.

H can’t get time off to haul you to North Carolina on the back of her bike? :)

H is still commuting a few times a week by bike. I have made grocery runs as well. We both took a long loop on motors Sunday afternoon after a long bicycle ride. So, on two wheels a lot.

I will avoid both SanAntonio and Travis county (Austin) until things ease up. Our county had 6 reported, however, neighbor Travis Co. 2100 cases and 60 deaths... 40 miles away...SATX has 1900 and 57... also 40 miles away.
Neither is “ flattened” or slowing.

Similar for us. Two cases in our county but 3,300 cases 60 miles north of us.
The Iowa hot spot is where there's a lot of good bicycle trails :(
So far I have not had the motorcycles out. I'll probably get both motorcycles out in the next couple weeks to make sure they run :)
I have five counties I can ride in that only have a total of three cases.

I am buying a bike in NC and want to go fly and ride home soon. Waiting on seeing a “ safest route/ timeline” to pull that off. Seeing the confusion with airlines, that may be longer :banghead Planned on camping as well but all the state/ nat’l parks on my route are not open yet or restricted to day use. Those same states are also not flattened either. Was avoiding hotels.

I would hate to get on a plane in the next few months. I think flying is a hassle on a good day :)
Is shipping a option or do you need to see it in person before buying?

I would hate to get on a plane in the next few months. I think flying is a hassle on a good day :)
Is shipping a option or do you need to see it in person before buying?

Shipping always an option... was looking forward to riding it home. Costs probably close to do either.
I will ride across the country any day to avoid air travel in a regular world.

Headed West and North and East and South....

I'd rent a car first before setting foot in a flying petri dish....:nod

Last time I flew was Mid February. I flew out to Salt Lake City and back to Bama. I was the only one on the plane with a mask on (N95). Talk about getting the looks like I had a you know what growing out of my forehead. I just sat there thinking it must suck going thru life waiting on someone to tell you how to protect yourself. Well the rest is history as they say.

I'm taking off on a ride in two days that will take me thru the SW United States, up the coast into WA. (Hope to see the Canada border open before I get there.) If it's closed I'll head East thru the Badlands to Michigan then South back to Bama.

The sweet part about the trip planning is that I was able to unload 10 years worth of stuff in the last few weeks that I have not used in years. FB Markets will pay for the whole trip!

No timeline, just meeting up with ol Army buddies that I have not seen in years. Camp a little use some hotel points here and there.

Last edited:
With customers not allowed into restaurants, what would you do for rest room breaks? Count only on gas stations? Not even sure their bathrooms would be available. And if meals are take-out only, what do you do on a bike in the pouring rain?

I think what we're contemplating is the new normal for long-distance motorcycle travel. Perhaps the Anonymous Book will add a category for "outhouse available" or something to that effect...

Thinking of all the sharing of facilities at gas stops, camping showerhouses, quick turn around hotel rooms, and of course eateries has me realizing we share a lot of air. Hoping for the best, preparing for strange new habits and interactions has me doing a lot of head scratching.

Again hoping we all figure this out but reality may be a slow climb.

Shipping is sounding like the smarter choice for me unless something changes to convince me otherwise... yeh...:hungover

I think what we're contemplating is the new normal for long-distance motorcycle travel. Perhaps the Anonymous Book will add a category for "outhouse available" or something to that effect...

Two footprints and a hole might be safer than a seat....

With customers not allowed into restaurants, what would you do for rest room breaks? Count only on gas stations? Not even sure their bathrooms would be available.

We usually don't eat during the day on trips so bathroom breaks are usually at gas station - convenience stores. Theses are probably open in all states.
A lot of these newer stations have nice bathrooms. When It's time for fuel, if I have the choice I pick a station that looks like it would have a decent bathroom for Debbie.
For me the whole outdoors is a bathroom :)

Debbie was in China once for a day and she said the bathrooms were holes in the floor with no flush.
She was able to hold it :)

I worked two years in Saudi Arabia - the "hammams" were like that, a hole in the floor, but they did have a hose for flushing.

Harry

Debbie and I had a reservation for a Bed and Breakfast place in Amana Iowa mid June but I called them today to cancel.
Turns out they were getting ready to call us because they decided to stay closed until July.
When visiting with the owner he mentioned they would have at least a two day gap between guests to give time for the virus to die off of soft surfaces.
They can sanitize hard surfaces but could think of a safe way to clean soft surfaces.
I like that plan.

AARP guide to closures:

https://www.aarp.org/politics-socie...info-2020/coronavirus-state-restrictions.html

I took my bike to the local bike shop the other day for an inspection. I was also in the mood to buy a doo-rag or bandana with skulls on it, pirate-style, to use as a face mask. I did get the bike inspected, but I was not allowed to enter the bike shop at all. Ridiculous - the local Walmart is open, why isn't the local bike shop?

We're still waiting for approval on high for re-opening of barbershops and hair salons.

Harry

Back