• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Motorcycles During the COVID-19 Pandemic

moshe_levy

Hi All

My wife is an RN with 23 years experience. Currently, she is working in the hospital with the most COVID-19 cases in New Jersey. After hearing her stories from the front line, here are my thoughts on riding motorcycles during the pandemic. (and sorry for the sound quality - my recorder picked today to malfunction!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FvLNzElW4A0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Haven't done this yet, but for the last couple of weeks, I have been seriously considering taking the insurance off one, if not both bikes for this year. I'll make my decision sometime in May. If the Grand Falls Rally should be cancelled, my riding for this year will cease.

It seems that if campgrounds and restaurants are going to be closed for most, if not all of this summer's riding season.

For me, motorcycling is riding to new locations/adventures which may be very difficult in the Age of Covid-19.

Last edited:
From our house it is 53 miles to the grocery store, not counting the small local market 26 miles away. We fully intend to ride our motorcycles to go grocery shopping for a while since our needed purchases will be just a few things - eggs, veggies, avacados, bananas, other fruit, etc. If we need to restock on cases or liter bottles of refreshing liquid we will probably take the car. The little bags on the 310s don't hold a whole lot.

Hi All

My wife is an RN with 23 years experience. Currently, she is working in the hospital with the most COVID-19 cases in New Jersey. After hearing her stories from the front line, here are my thoughts on riding motorcycles during the pandemic. (and sorry for the sound quality - my recorder picked today to malfunction!)
-MKL

So. We won't be seeing you at the MOA Rally?

Joe

I was pretty careful to stress the regional nature of where we are with this today. I am in the absolute epicenter of it - right outside NYC and in the midst of the most infected town in the most infected county in the second most infected state in the country. My level of alarm doesn't apply to someone in the middle of the country. But I'm raising the alarm so you know what's coming, that it's real, and to take it seriously.

I CANNOT IMAGINE that the MOA Rally will be held. Even if it is, this year, it's unlikely I will go.

-MKL

We continue to ride when the weather permits. Under our current restrictions it is okay to travel for whisky, ammo, a box of nails, oil and a hammer. You can never have too much of that stuff. We do take this seriously and limit our contact with others as much as possible. Staying home for projects, shooting and watching grandkids.

On some other forums there are some heated discussions about riding. Arguments against riding are that it sends a bad message about how seriously one is taking the threat, and that if a rider is injured it will be a burden on an over stressed medical system.

I will most likely ride when I can get bikes out of the basement. Closer to home Ontario (the province) just released their forecast model and they are talking 2 years!

My guess is that the MOA rally will not go and neither will the first Newfoundland HU rally in August.

I've been riding almost everyday. Rode earlier this week to deliver some N95 masks I found in our garage to the local ER.

Social distancing at it's best!

Perfect message from the epicenter

I was pretty careful to stress the regional nature of where we are with this today. I am in the absolute epicenter of it - right outside NYC and in the midst of the most infected town in the most infected county in the second most infected state in the country. My level of alarm doesn't apply to someone in the middle of the country. But I'm raising the alarm so you know what's coming, that it's real, and to take it seriously.

I CANNOT IMAGINE that the MOA Rally will be held. Even if it is, this year, it's unlikely I will go.

-MKL

+1!

interesting video. i had that exact conversation with myself last week. i live on a road south of Washington, DC along the Potomac river that since the lockdown has been a near solid stream of MC's. it is a nice ride, and mental health break.....BUT....i decided that the risk of an accident that puts me in a hospital is not good for me or the health care providers. they are swamped with the crisis. just as pretty much all elective medical procedures and routine visits are on hold, this is not the time to be out on two wheels potentially incurring "elective" medical help.

beautiful time to ride around here..temps are great, traffic is low, trees are turning green, etc...however the risk to SOCIETY is just too high. kickstands down for now in my shop. :(

interesting video. i had that exact conversation with myself last week. i live on a road south of Washington, DC along the Potomac river that since the lockdown has been a near solid stream of MC's. it is a nice ride, and mental health break.....BUT....i decided that the risk of an accident that puts me in a hospital is not good for me or the health care providers. they are swamped with the crisis. just as pretty much all elective medical procedures and routine visits are on hold, this is not the time to be out on two wheels potentially incurring "elective" medical help.

beautiful time to ride around here..temps are great, traffic is low, trees are turning green, etc...however the risk to SOCIETY is just too high. kickstands down for now in my shop. :(

I agree. When you accept that motorcycling is a higher risk form of transportation (as is taught in all the safety programs), it's irrational to place that potential additional burden on the health care system during this time of stress.

Not every place is the same. As of last evening there are less than 300 cases in the state of MT. Under 30 hospitalized and six deaths. My county has 13 cases. Over 100 cases are in one county adjacent to YNP. It is not irrational for us to continue to ride when our medical system is not under stress.

Not every place is the same. As of last evening there are less than 300 cases in the state of MT. Under 30 hospitalized and six deaths. My county has 13 cases. Over 100 cases are in one county adjacent to YNP. It is not irrational for us to continue to ride when our medical system is not under stress.

Same here, our county is way less populated of the adjacent neighbors. Two case here compared to 400 in ATX where the UofTX campus is the hotspot currently. All hospitals have cancelled elective surgeries and a doctor bud says they are empty... for now. When the dynamics change, we will as well. H commutes still and the bike is her choice. Her workplace is still considered essential though they locked the doors to
walk- ins.

Thanks, Moshe

I appreciate your discussion. The points you make demonstrate a practical and ethical approach to what you're facing now, and what faces all of us, in varying degrees in our varying situations.

That you would choose to not ride is a powerful statement. It has reduced my desire to ride, and I feel fine about that reduction. Thanks for speaking up.

Since far more people fall and hurt themselves in the bath tub, taking baths should be avoided so as to not potentially need medical attention when it needs to be reserved for Covid 19. No more baths. Showers optional. :)

I evaluate the WEAX, where I'm going, and what I'm going for before making the decision on which vehicle to take.

If it is a nice day and I'm going for a reason that doesn't require much cargo I'll ride the bike.

Since far more people fall and hurt themselves in the bath tub, taking baths should be avoided so as to not potentially need medical attention when it needs to be reserved for Covid 19. No more baths. Showers optional. :)
I think you're on to something. If we stopped bathing then social distancing would become the norm. Now, my wife might object but then again, she might like the excuse to social distance from me. I'll have to ask.

Doug

Hi All

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FvLNzElW4A0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Thanks for this Moshe. I also have family working Emerg. in the largest hospital in my city and her advice to me is to unselfishly leave every single Emerg. and ICU bed available for the people who got there without a choice. I choose to lay off riding until things settle out a bit.

Drama

This subject could challenge the "oil thread" for the drama queen title.

You think he is being overly dramatic w the title? You might have a different opinion if you lived in a hot zone and had family n friends trying to save people’s lives around the clock. When your family and friends die young because of a virus not everyone takes seriously, hopefully you would change your mind. The life you save maybe your own!
From the overly dramatic state of NJ......be safe!

J

Back