• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Motorcycles During the COVID-19 Pandemic

I think you're on to something. If we stopped bathing then social distancing would become the norm. Now, my wife might object but then again, she might like the excuse to social distance from me. I'll have to ask.

Doug

Texting works.

No disrespect meant, just thought the thread was getting kind of tense. I agree on not riding, haven't gone since covid came about. But did put on 9,000 plus miles in March during a truck interstate commercially.

Since far more people fall and hurt themselves in the bath tub, taking baths should be avoided so as to not potentially need medical attention when it needs to be reserved for Covid 19. No more baths. Showers optional. :)

That may have been true at the outset, but no longer. Covid 19 already exceeds all “accidents” for daily cause of death, and in just a couple days you will see it at the very top of this list (be patient and watch the animation):

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Another fact that may surprise people is how few hospital beds there actually are in any given area. I live in a major metropolitan area with literally dozens of hospitals. But the total hospital bed tally is only a little over 2000 beds. Models for our area show the virus peaking in late-May/early-June with a requirement for over 6000 beds to treat critical Covid 19 patients.

To ride or not to ride

Many good points of info in this discussion. I just pulled the cover of the bike. Last fall I treated "Woosh" to new tires and pads. With 4 twisty mountain over the top passes with in 45 minutes from home it becomes a mental puzzle. Off season traffic. But as I turn 74 I question my safety. When riding its a 360* awareness for me being ADHD helps to. Weather its Moose or Turkeys or a dead man branch about to fall. But to put our awesome fire and rescue at risk makes me pause. What ever our decisions keep yourself healthy and safe. The pic was a ride north along the Gulf of Maine maraitimes.*2015 Gaspe' boat 004ss.jpeg

“Under our current restrictions it is okay to travel for whisky, ammo, a box of nails, oil and a hammer. You can never have too much of that stuff.”
Now drink number one, then play with 2, 4 and 5. Have fun.

I've only made local rides on secondary roads for an hour or two at a time. I've chosen to ride not too far from the house, but use a school parking lot for an hour or so running slow speed cone work. New tar down in that lot, perfectly level, and no one around. I had one leo stop in the lot while doing the cones, watched for a few minutes then approached.

Asked me what I was doing :scratch. Told him getting some fresh air, exercise, staying up on my slow speed skills, all while social distancing. Gave me the thumbs up and left the area.

There's been no "group" rides for weeks, but traveling 4 miles to do some cone work in a parking lot for an hour or so with no one around has been a lot of fun, not to mention keeping the skills sharp for when we are actually able to take off for the hills on the motors.

I'm hoping to do a Utah, Colorado, Wyoming trip from mid July to mid August this year. Those plans are in flux at the moment.

I've only made local rides on secondary roads for an hour or two at a time. I've chosen to ride not too far from the house, but use a school parking lot for an hour or so running slow speed cone work. New tar down in that lot, perfectly level, and no one around. I had one leo stop in the lot while doing the cones, watched for a few minutes then approached.

Asked me what I was doing :scratch. Told him getting some fresh air, exercise, staying up on my slow speed skills, all while social distancing. Gave me the thumbs up and left the area.

There's been no "group" rides for weeks, but traveling 4 miles to do some cone work in a parking lot for an hour or so with no one around has been a lot of fun, not to mention keeping the skills sharp for when we are actually able to take off for the hills on the motors.

I'm hoping to do a Utah, Colorado, Wyoming trip from mid July to mid August this year. Those plans are in flux at the moment.

....I like this approach you have during the prudent "down time."
Thinking I'll incorporate some of this as the may weather allows/improves here in the Cincinnati metro area.
Incredibly; since "entering" the MOA annual Mileage Survey that began on April 1st...
tomorrow's May 1st mileage is the same on my odometer as it was in March!
No riding at all. I'm leading or tied for the "low/no mile award" at this point!
Somewhat because of the C-19... but the weather has mostly been lousy for riding.
I'm feeling like some refresher and skills training, soon I hope.

....I like this approach you have during the prudent "down time."
Thinking I'll incorporate some of this as the may weather allows/improves here in the Cincinnati metro area.
Incredibly; since "entering" the MOA annual Mileage Survey that began on April 1st...
tomorrow's May 1st mileage is the same on my odometer as it was in March!
No riding at all. I'm leading or tied for the "low/no mile award" at this point!
Somewhat because of the C-19... but the weather has mostly been lousy for riding.
I'm feeling like some refresher and skills training, soon I hope.

So, in a month of slow speed cone work about 5 days a week, I've got the 20 foot circles nailed with the GS. It was much easier on my 07 GT in a formal police cone course training event. Next, on to 19 footers.

The from a stop left and right turns inside a restricted distance per police patterns, those were quickly up to speed. Same with the weave patterns with cones being placed 12 feet apart. Pick the speed up a little when it gets too easy.

It's become a routine now, so when the country opens up again and our group rides start, I'll show up a little early and runs some 20 foot circles in advance, the cones are addicting and the skills attained are vital in slow speed situations. :thumb

This is the 4th winter I've spent in Florida. I left n.e.Illinois (on the bike) on January 2nd telling my wife I'd be home on May1st, today. We talked about me coming home more than once during the last couple weeks. Because the county where our house is located in Florida has zip codes with no or extremely low confirmed cases and our Illinois county has a high case amount and still rising we've decided it safer for me to stay in Florida awhile longer. But I want to go home and soon. My question is will it be safe to stay in a motel during the ride home or should I just plan on riding it straight thru. At stops I wear gloves and a face mask and don't go into the building by always paying at the pump.Although I will have to go into Subway to get food for that long of trip.Or is it safe to go into a motel. I know the sheets are washed but how well is the rest of the room cleaned? At this point we are taking it week by week but I will not stay here alot longer . I miss Sarah and want to be back in Illinois even if the weather up there sucks compared to here

This is the 4th winter I've spent in Florida. I left n.e.Illinois (on the bike) on January 2nd telling my wife I'd be home on May1st, today. We talked about me coming home more than once during the last couple weeks. Because the county where our house is located in Florida has zip codes with no or extremely low confirmed cases and our Illinois county has a high case amount and still rising we've decided it safer for me to stay in Florida awhile longer. But I want to go home and soon. My question is will it be safe to stay in a motel during the ride home or should I just plan on riding it straight thru. At stops I wear gloves and a face mask and don't go into the building by always paying at the pump.Although I will have to go into Subway to get food for that long of trip.Or is it safe to go into a motel. I know the sheets are washed but how well is the rest of the room cleaned? At this point we are taking it week by week but I will not stay here alot longer . I miss Sarah and want to be back in Illinois even if the weather up there sucks compared to here

If it were me and I needed to get home, I would plan out my trip stops by speaking with the hotel management and determining how seriously/what steps they were taking to keep guests safe. Once I spoke with the management, if I were comfortable that they were taking the pandemic seriously, I would make my reservation. If not, I would move on to another option. I'd likely start with some of the higher end, large franchises as they have a lot to lose if social media is critical of their efforts to keep guests safe.

Good luck with your decision and trip.

Somewhat similar decisions for my wife & I first week of April. We we experiencing more of a safe zone in Brevard Co, across from the Kennedy Space Center/Canaveral than the metro area of Cincinnati. But after three months, we felt it was time to head back for family/granddaughters.
They sure were't flying to Fl for spring break! At 955 miles, that makes for a long one day trip... even in a car.
I chose Asheville NC as the location, using Hilton. The location was NOT on the north-south interstate structure that many folks
were using and as "stay in place" was really kicking-in.
There were 8 cars in the lot overnight. While traveling mid-afternoon and mostly assured we would arrive about darkness,
I made the reservation on-line... it would not fully accept the effort. Hum, I called the location.
The manager stated they had a tentative request but he had a Covid_19 statement to
read and a few questions to ask. The first question; what was the purpose of my travel. I had an acceptable qualifier (family medical) and was allowed to stay.
NC was not, like some states still... allowing random travel/lodging. You may be faced with this.
The property was spotless and we took precautionary measures nonetheless.
I stopped at a Subway that was closed in south Ky. Fuel was not a problem, but rest room breaks were.
Our 2 week quarantine is complete, but we stay mostly home. I haven't ridden this year.

I try to avoid door handles on stores and use old gloves for gas pumps. Now what do we do about ports johns, eeeewwww. . Looks like time to practice up on all those scouting skills, and head for the woods!! :hungover:banghead

Scheduling issues make my son's and my annual trip at the end of May early June kind of "fixed" Given the perception that NY means NYC to most of the country (we live 5 hours from the City-few cases) what is the take on the reception two NY license plated would receive in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida (if we do the entire trip). Best guesses on camping and motel availability from May 26 on? As we are one BMW and one Harley I'm posting this on a Harley site too- it'll be interesting to compare responses!

Scheduling issues make my son's and my annual trip at the end of May early June kind of "fixed" Given the perception that NY means NYC to most of the country (we live 5 hours from the City-few cases) what is the take on the reception two NY license plated would receive in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida (if we do the entire trip). Best guesses on camping and motel availability from May 26 on? As we are one BMW and one Harley I'm posting this on a Harley site too- it'll be interesting to compare responses!

I don’t think anyone will really challenge you in Virginia, as long as you’re not showing up uninvited at their homes.

You should plan to have a face mask on anytime you can’t maintain social distancing (pretty much 100% of the time you are indoors in public, plus anywhere else people are in close quarters outdoors.)

The bigger question in my mind is how do you feel about being in a hotel room not knowing who was in it the night before? Yes, they change the linens, but not the bedspreads, and I highly doubt they are disinfecting all surfaces. Me, I would stick to camping if I absolutely had to make the trip, but even there you have the public restrooms. And you’ll need to check the rules on camping state-by-state, as some may have restrictions.

A friend of mine is looking to “fly north”- Florida to New Hampshire on his usual summer migration. The best suggestion I could come up with is calling ahead to each campground and find out how it’s all working out. Some states are adamant about quarantining if you enter the state and “stay”.
I’m of the opinion that this is far from over and that said, there is, or doesn’t seem to be, a definitive course of action with information changing daily.
Who wants to be stuck quarantined, possibly against their wishes, a half a dozen states from home?
OM

Before this covid19 thing I always brought a surface spray disinfectant on every trip involving hotel stays. First thing in a room, grab wash cloth, go through entire room surfaces, handles, tv channel changer etc., of course to much ridicule, Howard Hugh's type. Not a germ-o-phobe, however, common sense. Unless camp grounds, parks, etc., can't be opened, day trips are about it.

BTW, the dirty wash cloth was the evidence needed as to why the spray down was needed. One would think hotels, by this time, would have UV robot machines on every floor.

OTOH, without exposure to bacteria and viruses our immune systems would be completely shot. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Best guesses on camping and motel availability from May 26 on?!

Check on the camping rules for each state. Iowa campgrounds opened this Friday, but the bathroom and shower houses remain closed.
That pretty well rules out tents.

Seriously consider this...

... cover the license tag/plate completely, with a placard stating "plate behind this". Make it bold lettering, put it in a zip-lock and tape it on well!

You shouldn't suffer anyones prejudice because of state of residence.

Law enforcement so interested would likely accept your reasoning, maybe ask you to remove it until out of their State.

You'll need to specifically check each campground, each motel for every State, to see if you "qualify" to stop there and RON
(remain over night... government/military talk).

If there's "stay at home" type orders in place for a State... you must meet an acceptable need to be there.

Last week in Louisiana, some riders were well into the State while tour riding, and were declined lodging.

State Campgrounds in Kentucky will not open until June 11th. Each KOA in each State will be going by their local and State mandates, same as motels.

A friend of mine is looking to “fly north”- Florida to New Hampshire on his usual summer migration. The best suggestion I could come up with is calling ahead to each campground and find out how it’s all working out. Some states are adamant about quarantining if you enter the state and “stay”.
I’m of the opinion that this is far from over and that said, there is, or doesn’t seem to be, a definitive course of action with information changing daily.
Who wants to be stuck quarantined, possibly against their wishes, a half a dozen states from home?
OM

Gary - the Anonymous Book has some listings which might be helpful to your friend. Here is the way those provisions are listed on the MOA website:

"Here is a legend of codes and service. This list is also published in the book.

c Camping or tent space available
b Sheltered bedroll space
r Spare room available"

Might be worth a call or two...

Gary - the Anonymous Book has some listings which might be helpful to your friend. Here is the way those provisions are listed on the MOA website:

"Here is a legend of codes and service. This list is also published in the book.

c Camping or tent space available
b Sheltered bedroll space
r Spare room available"

Might be worth a call or two...

I probably should have been more clear on my post. My friends are 80+ and this year will be traveling in their travel trailer.
Your suggestion probably a great idea for M/C travelers and riders with some “social distancing” space.
OM

Back