• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K13GT - 2009. Won't start when hot.

kychris02

New to me bike and I notice its not starting up as smooth when it's warmed up. Today after a short ride I stopped for lunch and got a quick carry out. Nothing... when trying to thumb the start button. Gonna let it cool down while I eat my lunch. Anyone have an idea what the issue is? It's close enough I can walk it back home... but I'm thinking maybe battery issue? Thanx for any thoughts.

Update... found thid on another post... "Second issue is the starter sometimes will not turn the motor when it is hot. This is due to undersized wire from the battery to the starter. This is corrected by running another wire parallel to the existing wire or replacing it with a larger wire. I replaced mine with a six guage wire." Maybe this is the prob??

Last edited:
Update... found thid on another post... "Second issue is the starter sometimes will not turn the motor when it is hot. This is due to undersized wire from the battery to the starter. This is corrected by running another wire parallel to the existing wire or replacing it with a larger wire. I replaced mine with a six guage wire." Maybe this is the prob??

That's correct, there is a service bulletin for the repair.
There was also a recall for the switches, you may want to ask if the recall was done.

Lee is correct, and there is an SI bulletin for the issue. I’ve tried to find a copy and haven’t been able to, but I seem to recall a kit that had the heavier wire and a couple of other bits as well, including a relay. Lee, do you recall that? Too bad I-BMW was pulled out from underneath us—the SI was well-detailed there.

Best,
DeVern

Lee is correct, and there is an SI bulletin for the issue. I’ve tried to find a copy and haven’t been able to, but I seem to recall a kit that had the heavier wire and a couple of other bits as well, including a relay. Lee, do you recall that? Too bad I-BMW was pulled out from underneath us—the SI was well-detailed there.

Best,
DeVern

I thought there was a relay but could not confirm.

The part number for the starter wiring upgrade kit is 12418532735
which includes heavier gauge hot wire, heavier gauge starter relay
wiring, and a heavier duty starter relay.

I had posted a related question about battery sizing for my K1300 S hoping for a work-around to the hot-start issue. To help others benefit from my research, the BMW Service Bulletin number for the hot start issue is 61 002 11, which you can find via this link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10147121-9999.pdf

Not sure why it’s so well hidden.

Gregg L
‘16 K1300 S Motorsport
‘14 K1600 GTLE

I had posted a related question about battery sizing for my K1300 S hoping for a work-around to the hot-start issue. To help others benefit from my research, the BMW Service Bulletin number for the hot start issue is 61 002 11, which you can find via this link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10147121-9999.pdf

Not sure why it’s so well hidden.

Gregg L
‘16 K1300 S Motorsport
‘14 K1600 GTLE

Any BMW dealer can do a search on service bulletins for any BMW motorcycle. You should ask your dealer if all have been completed on your bike.

Bosch relay number?

The closing date for the campaign was December 31, 2015 and that part number can’t be found at Bobsbmw.com, maxbmw.com, or RealOEM.com. I haven’t queried my local dealer yet, but if he reports NLA then does anyone have the Bosch number for the heavy-duty starter relay? The cables could be made up using the originals as templates but the OP would need a Bosch number for the relay.

Here’s a photo from MaxBMW website, but no start/end date is given and no indication of whether it is the stock or HD version:
49F75BEE-589D-474A-85FB-D4B1C4087209.jpeg
5BB95CF0-7210-4754-A67D-20D8FD9639D7.jpeg

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
The closing date for the campaign was December 31, 2015 and that part number can’t be found at Bobsbmw.com, maxbmw.com, or RealOEM.com. I haven’t queried my local dealer yet, but if he reports NLA then does anyone have the Bosch number for the heavy-duty starter relay? The cables could be made up using the originals as templates but the OP would need a Bosch number for the relay.

Here’s a photo from MaxBMW website, but no start/end date is given and no indication of whether it is the stock or HD version:
View attachment 78933
View attachment 78934

Best,
DeVern

I think your photo shows the later style relay BMW part# 7 704 174/02
the original relay shows part# 7 704 174/01
all the other numbers were the same between the two relays
real oem shows the relay to be about $14.00

Has anyone had this service bulletin done recently?

I'm having this hot start issue for the first time since I bought my K13 in 2013, unfortunately in the middle of a cross country trip (apparently 2,146 miles from home - I just googled it). If I can find a dealer that has the upgrade kit then maybe I can have it sent a dealer close to my travel path, but yikes - I don't like the idea of getting stuck before it can be fixed. Can I also assume that the service bulletin wasn't being done under a recall (i.e., parts and labor charges will all be on me IF I can get it done)?

I'm having this hot start issue for the first time since I bought my K13 in 2013, unfortunately in the middle of a cross country trip (apparently 2,146 miles from home - I just googled it). If I can find a dealer that has the upgrade kit then maybe I can have it sent a dealer close to my travel path, but yikes - I don't like the idea of getting stuck before it can be fixed. Can I also assume that the service bulletin wasn't being done under a recall (i.e., parts and labor charges will all be on me IF I can get it done)?
Hi, it was not a recall, just a service bulletin. The costs will be on you. We've had the hot start issue a few times (K1200S / K1300S since 2007) but they always cranked after a few tries. We have a 2016 now so the "fix" is supposed to already be in this one but it acted weird once on a startup last year. We got a new battery and it hasn't happened since. I can't guarantee that a battery will fix yours but if your battery is a few years old it wouldn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
Back