• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 K1200r Engine Number Location

ariastwin

Hello MOA'ers,

I read a post on this that was from several years ago and I could use your help. I just purchased my first K bike and love it! In order to register the bike in MN you need to provide the engine number on the title, not vin, and I'm having a heck of a time locating it. If any of you know, do I have to remove any parts in order to get to it? According to the old post, the engine number is located on the right side crank case at about the 2 oclock position, however, I cannot see past the mounting bracket. Any help, advice, pics would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ariastwin

Saw that post...however

Welcome to the forum! Was this the thread that you read:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...nyone-know-where-the-Engine-Number-is-located

It was one of the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the page.

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the link and I did see that post, however, I know that there was a pic of the location posted but I can't find the pic. Hoping the member who posted he found the engine number would be willing to share the pic again.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed -

Try using the google link at the upper right of the menu bar. Then type in "site:forums.bmwmoa.org k1200r engine number". A number of thread links come up...but click on the images feature and see if you spy the image your looing for.

No help, but related. Manufacturers began using VIN in 1954 but with no standardized format. A standardized format, worldwide, was adopted in 1981 and used uniformly in most of the United States for the past 39 years to identify motor vehicles. I would suggest that after 39 years it might be about time for Minnesota to get with the program but that might be a little too much to expect, I suppose.

Saw this post

K Series
K100
On the right side of the frame low down just above the foot rest. There should also be a Black VIN build plate riveted to the frame just above it
The engine code may be on the right hand side low down below the cylinder head
K1200
In the same area as above but on the inside face of the frame and a black VIN sticker
The engine code may be on the top of the engine casing

No Black Plate

K Series
K100
On the right side of the frame low down just above the foot rest. There should also be a Black VIN build plate riveted to the frame just above it
The engine code may be on the right hand side low down below the cylinder head
K1200
In the same area as above but on the inside face of the frame and a black VIN sticker
The engine code may be on the top of the engine casing

Hey Tonyfr,

found the vin right next to the right foot peg, however, not a black plate but imprinted right on the frame itself, maybe lazer etched. Can't find the engine number though. Any thoughts?

thanks
Ed

Hey Tonyfr,

found the vin right next to the right foot peg, however, not a black plate but imprinted right on the frame itself, maybe lazer etched. Can't find the engine number though. Any thoughts?
I went out to look at my bike but I have too much bodywork in the way, so I can't see any engine numbers.

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the link and I did see that post, however, I know that there was a pic of the location posted but I can't find the pic. Hoping the member who posted he found the engine number would be willing to share the pic again.

Thanks,
Ed

I see I posted a picture that no longer shows.
I looked through my pictures of the K1300 and do not see a picture of the engine number.
I must have copied a picture from the internet.

Check the video at the 35 second mark.
<iframe width="1188" height="668" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/naAha8Co_Dk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back