• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ural Speedometer fitment question

jsbrusso

Hi all,
I was recently given a 1983 Ural (Neval) sidecar rig with a BMW R90/6 motor and 5 speed transmission. Its one wheel drive. It's sat for over 20 years, so it was in very rough condition. I'm in the process of refurbishing everything. It came with what I believe is the stock Speedo/Tachometer mounting plate but with Moto Guzzi gauges installed. I'm wanting to install a mid 80's Ural headlight bucket with Ural Speedometer (looks very much like the BMW /5 headlight buckets of the early 70's) to maintain a more Russian looking motif.
So here's the question: Will the BMW speedometer cable/fitting mate with a Ural speedometer? Anyone out there in sidecarland know the answer? Thanks for any input! You all are such an informative an entertaining forum :wave

Having had a bike with the old /5 headlight setup, you are much further ahead with a newer light. You can even go with LED bulb as long as it takes an H4 socket. There was an upgrade kit for the /5 to allow you to upgrade to a H4 bulb and it included the reflector. You might find one on the used market. The speedo set up on the /5 was pretty flaky and very expensive to get one fixed or to find a good one.

As to your specific question there is some inter changes between the Guzzui and the BMW's of the same vintage. Somebody smarter than me should be able to tell you if the speed cable ends are the same. I'm guessing that they are the same, otherwise you wouldn't have what you already have. A check of some BMW parts fiche might help to narrow your quest.

A while back I see a set up around an 80's RT custom with a hack the was made to look like an older BMW. It had a headlight on it from a Yamaha that had the speedo in the headlight. The person that did it did a excellent job, you really had to look at it close to see it wasn't and older BMW.

Having had a bike with the old /5 headlight setup, you are much further ahead with a newer light. You can even go with LED bulb as long as it takes an H4 socket. There was an upgrade kit for the /5 to allow you to upgrade to a H4 bulb and it included the reflector. You might find one on the used market. The speedo set up on the /5 was pretty flaky and very expensive to get one fixed or to find a good one.

As to your specific question there is some inter changes between the Guzzui and the BMW's of the same vintage. Somebody smarter than me should be able to tell you if the speed cable ends are the same. I'm guessing that they are the same, otherwise you wouldn't have what you already have. A check of some BMW parts fiche might help to narrow your quest.

Thanks very much Cycleman. If I had my druthers, I would rather go with a /5 style Speedometer/Tachometer headlight assembly but HOLY COW have you seen the used prices lately? It's not uncommon for just a bucket with no internals or headlight to go for $400-$500 US. On Ebay, I can find a Ural headlight assembly complete with speedometer and headlight for about $250 (From Russia).

You are more likely to get an informed response on one of the Ural forums. There are folks with hands on experience with Ural/BMW conversions. Soviet Steeds seems to be very active and friendly (https://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/index.php). The other that I am aware of is Russian Iron, but I am not familiar with them (http://www.russianiron.com).

Thanks for the reply akbeemer. Good advice, I have not been to either of those websites yet but will give them a try.

A while back I see a set up around an 80's RT custom with a hack the was made to look like an older BMW. It had a headlight on it from a Yamaha that had the speedo in the headlight. The person that did it did a excellent job, you really had to look at it close to see it wasn't and older BMW.

Thanks k1200. I'm going for a mid 60's R60/2 look eventually probably similar to what you describe.

Back