• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 R75/7 Engine ID Plate Replacement

Hello- I am a first time poster and a several years' forum 'observer.' I and my R75/7 have greatly benefitted from the many years of knowledge wrapped up in the Airhead Forum. I know I should suffer great abuse for lurking so long in the dark and I think I can weather the slings and arrows, hopefully.

What brings me here is a problem that I encountered last summer on my now 43 year old BMW (mine since 2000 AD) is the simultaneous departure of both of my R75/7 engine identification plates. One was lost to the road, the other clung by a thread of ancient glue to the engine. Of course, I didn't notice the absence of either plate until I began the cleaning process the following day. After retracing my route on many days following and searching the internet many late hours at night, I realized I would never find my missing plate. I gave up my search and contacted a local sign maker who did a credible job of recreating the look, but in a very thin 2 dimensional manner. I was set except for deciding on a glue that would be sufficient to hold the plate on my engine.

So, at this point, a year after my loss, I have a question to ask of the collective forum and also a bit of possibly good news to offer forum members that may have lost their ID plates.

My question- what adhesive/glue would be best suited to holding a hot/cold metal surface that is sometimes subjected to bouts of shaking? I do live in South Dakota, where it sometimes gets warm, mostly gets cold.

My good news is that while searching ebay for another R75 part, I found the exact plate that I needed. The description stated it was newly made. I hesitated at the word 'new,' thinking that meant inferior, not quite the same as original. It looked great in the pictures, but so many things do. After a brief moment's pause, I said yes and ordered.

The plate came in the mail today, rather quickly, and I opened the envelope to find the plate a solid reproduction of my remaining original. Even the production numbers were there underneath the slots for fitment to the engine. It could only have been more perfect if it had the same nicks and scrapes that my original plate had. After looking it over carefully, I am beginning to doubt it's a reproduction. But where could any originals be found in mint shape after 43 years. I did a check for other models' plates and did find more than the R75/7 plate. If anyone would like info on such an item, I would be more than willing to forward the info. I will say that I know nothing about the vendor other than the quality of the product I received.

So, what adhesive would you use?

Permatex Ultra Grey. It works very well for cylinder base sealant also. At my old job we used it when installing differentials in heavy truck rear ends. Also used it for gluing magnets inside housings. It fills in the gaps when gluing on your badge.

I used a 3M product that was sold for this purpose. I don’t remember the name but if it isn’t on here in an hour or so, I’ll find the tube. At least 4 years ago I used it to attach my badges and they are still there.

I would caution against using Permatex Ultra Grey. That is a non hardening sealant that would be used between the base of the cylinders and the engine block. It doesn't really work like a glue.

I've had to reglue my badges on my /7 and used Permatex Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Follow the directions on the package and it will work out great. Snowbum has a section on this in #12 on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/chemicalsetc.htm

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :wave I always thought the R75/7 would be neat bike to have...a "one year" model!

First Bike

I have nothing to add to the forum in the way of advice.

Just sticking my nose in to say my first BMW was an R75/7, very much wish I still had it.

A great bike, have a lot of fun with it. St.

Thanks to all for your input. It appears Permatex and 3M are top contenders in this thread and previous threads on the BMW-MOA forum. It seems that the key to success in retaining the ID plates is proper preparation and following manufacturer's directions, regardless of what adhesive is chosen. I may do a comparison test, 3M product on right side and Permatex on the left.

As to the commenters recalling their own R75/7 ownership, my bike has been a sturdy steed for the last 18 years and I do enjoy owning and caring for it. I once gave my bike away to a relative, when I left for a year's Army deployment, but begged to buy it back when I saw the sad shape it was in after a few years absence. While my bike was gone, I met another R75/7 owner and made an offer to buy. He cared too much for his to let it go. I guess it all worked out well for the both of us.

The downside to R75/7 is it's single year uniqueness, where engine ID plates are concerned.

At any rate, thank you for your comments and concern.

One more thought. Make sure your badges are flat. What ever adhesive you use will not work good if there not tight to the engine. I had to massage mine flat when I reinstalled them on my R60/5.

One more thought. Make sure your badges are flat. What ever adhesive you use will not work good if there not tight to the engine. I had to massage mine flat when I reinstalled them on my R60/5.

Do you mean "massage" as a few raps with an appropriate hammer, per chance? :)

3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive. I bought it at Pep Boys, I think. It comes in. 1oz tune. I know the product name is a bit misleading. It works on metal and it is heat resistant. My badges have been on for several years now.

Back