Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: R18 section name?

Section Name R 18

Should be called the R 18 as it has been referred to numerous times already. Not a Wet Head, but Oil Head (already taken) so R 18 it is.

Thanks! I will get the lights.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I like this version better than the base model.
    All the accessories are BMW items.

Attachment 77885
    Does the straight pipe come with removable baffles?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Does the straight pipe come with removable baffles?
    I would doubt so. The aftermarket may be gearing up to include that feature in some sort of life-saving Bavarian Screamin’ Eagle package.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I would doubt so. The aftermarket may be gearing up to include that feature in some sort of life-saving Bavarian Screamin’ Eagle package.

Best,
    DeVern
    Indeed, HD is the only major manufacturer that knowingly and willingly sells modification parts that violate pollution laws and regulations. But when, as happened in Oakland, the Police Department fits their Harley cop bikes will illegal exhaust systems because as the Chief said, "The guys like them", what can we expect? Law and order!

I just love Fat Bobs and Baggers with exhausts sold "for off road use only."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Harley got it's butt kicked by the EPA a few years back for selling non-EPA approved hop up parts for street motorcycles. They even sold parts marked for "off road use only" that Harley stopped selling. (Yeah, right! Off road use for a 900 pound bagger?!) The Motor company line for modifications is EPA approved only. Harley sells a limited amount of EPA approved exhausts, cams and air filters, plus they can only supply an engine tuning device with EPA approved calibrations. Your local dealer might be doing something that violates the EPA, but Mother Harley does not endorse it. In fact, riders that bring their motorcycles in for warranty repairs are having repairs refused and motorcycles "tagged" in Harley's data base if they have non-EPA mods.

Needless to say Harley has gone through a huge change on engine mods in the last ~4 years.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

To me one word describes this bike, Vuluptuous.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Harley got it's butt kicked by the EPA a few years back for selling non-EPA approved hop up parts for street motorcycles. They even sold parts marked for "off road use only" that Harley stopped selling. (Yeah, right! Off road use for a 900 pound bagger?!) The Motor company line for modifications is EPA approved only. Harley sells a limited amount of EPA approved exhausts, cams and air filters, plus they can only supply an engine tuning device with EPA approved calibrations. Your local dealer might be doing something that violates the EPA, but Mother Harley does not endorse it. In fact, riders that bring their motorcycles in for warranty repairs are having repairs refused and motorcycles "tagged" in Harley's data base if they have non-EPA mods.

Needless to say Harley has gone through a huge change on engine mods in the last ~4 years.
    Consider the number of Harleys I see (actually hear) and their inability to maintain a stable idle speed, I know the muffler isn't compliant and motor/ignition control unit can't adjust. It's money in the bank for the dealers and the aftermarket parts market.

Just like the burnout pits. That was genius. Rip the crap out of the machine and tires, then pay for repairs. Genius, I tell you, Genius.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Sorry, I could not watch that. I don't know who BMW is marketing to, but it is definitely not me.

Agree. Perhaps new models, any model, introduced during a global pandemic would seem trivial.
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Consider the number of Harleys I see (actually hear) and their inability to maintain a stable idle speed, I know the muffler isn't compliant and motor/ignition control unit can't adjust. It's money in the bank for the dealers and the aftermarket parts market.
    If you’re referring to the classic H-D lope at idle or low speed, it’s built into the design of the 45 degree v-twin using a common crank pin, resulting in firing intervals spaced 315 and 405 degrees apart. https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/0...ound-insights/

That 405 degree pause between power pulses is part of what made the H-D XR750 so successful as a dirt-track race bike; plenty of time for the driven tire to hook up before the next power pulse. Unfortunately, it seems the bulk of H-D owners try to emulate the race-bike sound level on their street machines. And on a good many tracks, even the XR750 had to wear an effective muffler to comply with noise restrictions.

My prediction is that while BMW won’t sell loud pipes for these bikes, the aftermarket will be quick and vigorous to fill that desire, especially for buyers who represent conquest sales.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Agree. Perhaps new models, any model, introduced during a global pandemic would seem trivial.
    I’ll bet this has been planned for quite some time. Everyone it seems was going to see them virtually anyway
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Your local dealer might be doing something that violates the EPA, but Mother Harley does not endorse it.
    That is known as plausible deniability by lawyers and Richard Nixon and as a wink and a nod by the rest of us.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I am amused at the loud pipe comments as so many here and I see on the road have aftermarket exhausts on their German machines. The first Camhead that rolled into my shop sounded like a Remus compared to my Oilheads and first Hexheads.
    I can hear most newer BMW’s as well as Cummins diesels and some, not all V- twins coming way down the road. Be careful with the rocks around the windows

Some folks like RTs and dislike GSs as an example, some folks think Airheads are old tractors. This engine surely will be offered in a few more models, one may interest you if given a chance. If not, grumble away
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I am amused at the loud pipe comments as so many here and I see on the road have aftermarket exhausts on their German machines. The first Camhead that rolled into my shop sounded like a Remus compared to my Oilheads and first Hexheads.
    I can hear most newer BMW’s as well as Cummins diesels and some, not all V- twins coming way down the road. Be careful with the rocks around the windows

Some folks like RTs and dislike GSs as an example, some folks think Airheads are old tractors. This engine surely will be offered in a few more models, one may interest you if given a chance. If not, grumble away
    Steve, you know where I live. When bikes go by headed south and I time them and can hear them for 3 minutes you do the math. Even if they are only doing 60 in the 75 that is still 3 miles. The squids only last about 1 minute or one and a half miles. Again do the math

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    If you’re referring to the classic H-D lope at idle or low speed, it’s built into the design of the 45 degree v-twin using a common crank pin, resulting in firing intervals spaced 315 and 405 degrees apart. https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/0...ound-insights/

That 405 degree pause between power pulses is part of what made the H-D XR750 so successful as a dirt-track race bike; plenty of time for the driven tire to hook up before the next power pulse. Unfortunately, it seems the bulk of H-D owners try to emulate the race-bike sound level on their street machines. And on a good many tracks, even the XR750 had to wear an effective muffler to comply with noise restrictions.

My prediction is that while BMW won’t sell loud pipes for these bikes, the aftermarket will be quick and vigorous to fill that desire, especially for buyers who represent conquest sales.

Best,
    DeVern
    I know the difference between the Harley rumble and an engine that can't maintain a stable idle speed.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Steve, you know where I live. When bikes go by headed south and I time them and can hear them for 3 minutes you do the math. Even if they are only doing 60 in the 75 that is still 3 miles. The squids only last about 1 minute or one and a half miles. Again do the math
    I get that as we can hear packs of v-twins and sport bikes running on the highway over a mile away.
    The harmonics of multiple firing sequences along with aftermarket exhausts or lack of compounds the sounds.
    My point was more that we are all not as quiet as we think as we complain about a certain brand being. I rode behind a buds bike with a Remus who harps on cruisers...wasn’t much difference in decibels though the frequency wasn’t as pronounced. I mentioned it at next stop and he stink eyed me.

I can hear the neighbors S1000RR for a long time coming or going at warp speed down the highway to his gate
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown