• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Steve's Adventure into Motorcycling & Modifications

dimsum07

Howdy Y'all!

I too this idea from Wachuko because it is a lot easier to add progress to one thread and build multiple threads for about a 15 word post!

I'm a new rider. I got started in May 2019 after taking the MSF course on a Can Am Spyder because I have about 10,000 miles behind an ATV and the Spyder seemed to be the right vehicle for me. I rode it all summer, but never really enjoyed the machine. There's nothing wrong with them, but I didn't feel like the Spyder lended itself to extra training and practice to make you a better rider. I felt like I was missing the challenge and went back to eyeballing motorcycles.

I primarily planned to commute on this bike in the DC area and am taking all of my training as I go. At the time of writing this, I've completed MSF Basic, BRC2, ARC and Motorcycle Riding Concepts' "Seat Time" course (refresher after I bought the bike). The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Virus (COVID-19) is likely going to boot me out of the MSF Circuit Training course I'm enrolled in in April 2020.

I'll stop boring you with the rest and get to it. I looked at a lot of bikes and had a tough time picking one.

2019 F850GS Adventure Low Chassis
RXgUzRT.jpg

8IrS8bXl.jpg

I had the dealer add the 3 BMW side cases and the Touring Windshield (which is still too small for me being 6 ft). I'm enjoying the bike so far and am enjoying learning about the hobby. Yes this was an expensive and big bike for a first bike. I know that, but I had my reasons for wanting the BMW and the 310GS wasn't quite enough for getting me and my gear to / from work (Gym bags, lunch box, grocery shopping, etc).

FB2SK9yl.jpg

You can see that I zip tied my EZPass transponder to the relocated GPS mount. I took that off of the handlebars when I added some risers and placed it above my TFT. I'm still trying to decide what I am going to do about GPS. I keep hoping Nav VI will get updated for Android Auto integration.

https://www.bmw-gps-interface.com/gps-mount-bracket-bmw-f750-f850-gs/

Last edited:
Knock Off Tool Box (Ebay) F850GS Adventure (Low Chassis)

Ebay Toolbox
I got this idea from Wachuko. He gets the credit for finding the knock off. I just thought I’d the installation as well and any updates to this part since it is an adaptation from an R1200GS. I figured it would fit the same and it does.
Bike
F850GS Adventure Low Chassis
*this is important because my bike doesn’t have ESA. Not having ESA makes installing this much easier because you don’t have the shock reservoir in the way. The box can be mounted much higher and therefore less risk of clearance issues.

Ebay Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-2L-Stain...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Tools Required
Blue Loctite
3mm Hex Wrench
10mm wrench or socket
Silicon to seal extra holes (I’ll explain)

Installation
1. I think it’s obvious that this will go on the left side of the bike (Non-exhaust side)
2. Bolt all of the bolts up on the right side of the tool box to fill the holes. The instructions are pretty clear, but I also used some silicon to seal up the holes to prevent future risk of water intrusion. This might be a waste of my time though if the door isn’t water resistant.
3. I used the hardware that came with the box. I’ll evaluate the quality over time. Wachuko had to made a custom mount for this box and I think that had more to do with the ESA being in the way? I am not sure, but I have a sheet of 14GA stainless in the garage in case I need to do so. You can see in the picture below where I mounted the box. I also threw in a tape measure so you could see where to put the clamps.

vSrN6tvl.jpg

PEQRstol.jpg

4xCUQ4Yl.jpg

Who knows if this thing is any good or how much water it will let in over time. I'll update this as I find out!

Last edited:
Touratech Foot Expander

I wanted to get a Side Stand expander for the bike because I've already had it sink into some soft ground a couple times. I don't have a center stand (would really like one BMW!).

I had a lot of trouble finding the ride one for my bike / side stand. Turns out BMW has multiple side stands on these bikes?

Anyway, if you have one that looks like mine, I had good luck with this one.

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Large-Sidestand-Foot-BMW-F850GS-Adventure

QWJi8k7l.jpg

Paddock Stands

If anyone is a noob like me and buys an ADV bike in a low chassis to find out it didn't come with a center stand....you'll probably need to buy something else to help you manage the chain.

I bought a set of Pitbull stands
(Rear) https://www.pit-bull.com/bmw-motorc...port-classic-motorcycle-rear-stand-f0061a-000
(Front) https://www.pit-bull.com/bmw-motorc...rid-headlift-motorcycle-front-stand-f0100-000

QXV2TGtl.jpg

iEpiF0xl.jpg

I used a motorcycle jack to help stabilize the bike as I lifted it for the first time. Like most folks have told me, as I practiced with the bike, I got more confident balancing it. I can now easily lift the bike without the help of the motorcycle jack to stabilize.

Other things I've purchased or installed if folks want to know more

BMW Branded Scottoiler
GS-911 (oil changes and stuff like that)
Cruze Tools RT-B2 kit (Made for the BMW F850GS) https://touratech-usa.com/store/CruzTOOLS-RoadTech-B2-Tool-Kit-for-BMW-Motorcycles-2019-on-(RTB2)
Helite Turtle 2 (for me, not the bike)
Used Comfort seat (I have the low seat...which is great for flat footing, but terrible for comfort)

I want to order
Better Hand Guards
Tank Protector Bars(Is this necessary....the Wunderlich stuff sure is expensive)
Russell Day Long Seat (15 May is my date with them)

Common Access Card (CaC) Holder...or other ID card holder

I'm in the Air Force and going on base daily is a pain dealing with showing your ID card at the gate when you're wearing gloves.

I made this:

0TrSV8Gl.jpg

All you really need is a smart card reader
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177O5XNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the USB cable off and screwed a ram mount onto the bottom of the housing. Now its mounted to the center of my handlebars. When I am headed towards a base, I just take my ID card out and insert it into the reader. Super easy to show the gate guard and put it back into the reader without messing with a wallet.

Ebay Toolbox
I got this idea from Wachuko. He gets the credit for finding the knock off. I just thought I’d the installation as well and any updates to this part since it is an adaptation from an R1200GS. I figured it would fit the same and it does.
Bike
F850GS Adventure Low Chassis
*this is important because my bike doesn’t have ESA. Not having ESA makes installing this much easier because you don’t have the shock reservoir in the way. The box can be mounted much higher and therefore less risk of clearance issues.

Ebay Link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-2L-Stain...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Tools Required
Blue Loctite
3mm Hex Wrench
10mm wrench or socket
Silicon to seal extra holes (I’ll explain)

Installation
1. I think it’s obvious that this will go on the left side of the bike (Non-exhaust side)
2. Bolt all of the bolts up on the right side of the tool box to fill the holes. The instructions are pretty clear, but I also used some silicon to seal up the holes to prevent future risk of water intrusion. This might be a waste of my time though if the door isn’t water resistant.
3. I used the hardware that came with the box. I’ll evaluate the quality over time. Wachuko had to made a custom mount for this box and I think that had more to do with the ESA being in the way? I am not sure, but I have a sheet of 14GA stainless in the garage in case I need to do so. You can see in the picture below where I mounted the box. I also threw in a tape measure so you could see where to put the clamps.

vSrN6tvl.jpg

PEQRstol.jpg

4xCUQ4Yl.jpg

Who knows if this thing is any good or how much water it will let in over time. I'll update this as I find out!
I just received mine the other day. It is not a stainless steel box. It is plastic. Very hard to put together because unless you have toothpick arms you have a real hard time putting the nuts on inside the box. I ended up bleeding. The instructions show removing the plastic mud guard on my 1200 GSA? We shall see. I'll let you know.

Hey John! The 850GSA and the 1200 are a little different on the rear ends, but attaching to the Pannier system should be the same.

For me, the one got ya was I initially installed the box soo high up (Maximizing swing arm clearance) that I actually couldn't get the box door out b/c the taillight was in the way. Make sure to leave you some clearance for that light.

Went for a nice ride today and actually took time to take a photo!! First time driving down a dirt road too....

I was supposed to take a dirt bike class (intro) this month...but of course those plans are canceled. I'm currently signed up for an MSF ARC course next month and the Yamaha Champions Rider School. We'll see if either of them pan out.

Ogz9OzTl.jpg

Also gave the bike a fuelly account....maybe it will help some folks see the bike's fuel economy. I need to start tracking what the TFT says....my numbers seem lower than what the TFT tells me, but I don't track that data yet.

Adventure Designs Highway Pegs

https://www.advdesigns.com/highwaypegs.html

As a new rider, I had no idea what the right “rider’s” triangle meant when buying a bike. I bought what felt good on the showroom floor and was off to the races.
Turns out, the F-850GS Adventure Low Chassis with the low seat is a terrible riders triangle for me on the highway. After about 45 minutes, I’m ready to throw the bike in a ditch and walk home.
I bought a “comfort” seat to get more space between me and the pegs. That helped a lot (used seat), but I’m still having a Russell Day Long Seat built for me.

These highway pegs are another idea that might help me stretch out at times and relax the knees / back some when on the bike.

Tools:
13mm socket
13mm box wrench
I used Teflon tape to help keep them from scratching the crash bars (yeah, I Know that sounds dumb)

JHt080T.jpg

EO9o8gP.jpg

2gPjqBC.jpg

I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out a placement that would help. I have a feeling I’ll be moving them around a bunch to find the right places for them….it very much seems like a trial and error idea on this bike.

BMW F850GS Adventure HP Clutch and Brake Levers

I found a great deal on some open box HP levers for the bike. Scored the set for $100 bucks and I jumped on them. Other than looking cool, I don’t think they do anything special (someone can school me on that one). I would not pay what BMW asks for them….I just don’t see the benefit.

Part Numbers: 77228355202 & 32728355098
Install is super easy. Send me a PM if you need help, but I just used my factory manual which has instructions for installing these (and all of the BMW accessories). You do have to be very careful with the clutch lever to not break the contact switches. Those are very delicate.

Dn4OnDF.jpg

7nBG0zf.jpg

zFTt6Tb.jpg

Added a MotoJug to the bike!

https://www.motojug.com/

Ohs6xJx.jpg

Installation is a piece of cake. I don't want to wear a separate hydration pack and I found putting a pack into my Triumph jacket would usually end up with body temperature water after a couple hours. This simple insulated jug means cold water all day in a container that's easy to re-fill and clean.

I never ride with a passenger..so it works well for me.

SW Motech Aluminum Skid Plate & Russell Day Long Seat

Ordered an SW Motech Aluminum Skid Plate for the bike.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-skid-plate-engine-guard-for-bmw-f850gs-adventure-19

Beware, F850GS plate will not fit this bike. You need to order the part for a GS Adventure because the other plate won't clear the stock engine guards.

H2gpzjH.jpg

That's what the kit comes with. Very easy install...maybe 30 minutes tops if you're taking your time.

Results
D444Xhv.jpg

svev5Us.jpg

Also Ordered a Russell Day Long Seat
I found the low seat to be terrible for me knees and back. I'm likely too tall for that seat, but I'm a beginner and wanted to flat foot the bike for learning. Would I do that today, nah, but I needed it when I bought the bike.

I also purchased the BMW comfort seat off of a forum member to have as a spare seat while mine was at the shop. Took about 3 weeks turn around to get the work done when my order number was up, but keep in mind this is a 3 month or more process from placing your order to seat being done.

You don't pay for the seat until its complete. I'm a function over form kind of guy. Its not a pretty seat, but I'm way more comfortable on this bike now than I ever was before or on the my old Spyder F3.

Comfort Seat

wblWGZF.jpg

Russell Day Long in Vinyl
CCpyWRn.jpg

PrtUWxC.jpg

I need to get a better photo at a greater distance.

If anyone is a noob like me and buys an ADV bike in a low chassis to find out it didn't come with a center stand.....

Is a short centerstand available from BMW or aftermarket?
Thank you for the posts and thank you for helping the economy :)

Back