• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS Project bike.

I have been following this thread with interest as my ride is a red 1999 R1100RS. It was love at first sight and I bought it from a tennis buddy about 15 years ago. Your project must truly be a labor of love as my bike, before I managed to badly crack the main headlight faring, was worth $1100 as a trade in at our local BMW dealer. I bought and restored another fairing on line, but it needs to be painted and I've patched the original which is fully functional. Replacing that main fairing is kind of like a heart transplant. The problems that probably will arise could easily leave me with a basket case. What I have now is a fully functional ride that has all the stuff I like on it. From everywhere but the front left it looks great. My goal is to put 100K on the clock and I'm at 96.5. I'm just a guy who likes to ride motorcycles and had been doing it for 63 years. When I hit 100 K you can have a lot of spare parts you will need for a great price.

I’m 64 and bought a 94 RS like in this thread and gave 1000.00 when I bought it 2 years ago with 83 k on it. I just like the bike. I put a clutch, had fairing and tail piece painted, rebuild throttle bodies, had seat recover, Parabellum windscreen, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I do not plan to get my money out of it I just like it. Now it is approaching 90k I plan to ride it until I decide it time to get rid of it.

Sounds like you found a bike worth fixing. The front fairing isn't too hard to remove. Only the windscreen mechanism can be a bit of a challenge. I'll try to put together a few photos showing the process.

Jim :brow
That would be interesting as I've never seen a BMW I like better than mine. I'm a sucker for bright red and that paint is amazing. 21 years old a still bright. I is garaged so that has no doubt helped. On the flip side I am kind of disenchanted with BMW longevity. All the rubber brake lines failed like clockwork about 5 years ago. The rear end went last year. I just learned about insulation on Hall sensors. My 1983 Honda CB 1000 had nothing like that fail. It did have problems but not things like brake lines and a stupid 2" piece of internal insulation. Plus it spent the summers outside.

That would be interesting as I've never seen a BMW I like better than mine. I'm a sucker for bright red and that paint is amazing. 21 years old a still bright. I is garaged so that has no doubt helped. On the flip side I am kind of disenchanted with BMW longevity. All the rubber brake lines failed like clockwork about 5 years ago. The rear end went last year. I just learned about insulation on Hall sensors. My 1983 Honda CB 1000 had nothing like that fail. It did have problems but not things like brake lines and a stupid 2" piece of internal insulation. Plus it spent the summers outside.

Unfortunately the brake lines from Germany, like the wire covers, were made of a semi-biodegradable material and just didn't last. Most final drives hold up well, but it depends on if the shimming was dead on at the factory or not. Either way, still well worth it as you can easily get 200K plus miles from these bikes.

Unfortunately the brake lines from Germany, like the wire covers, were made of a semi-biodegradable material and just didn't last. Most final drives hold up well, but it depends on if the shimming was dead on at the factory or not. Either way, still well worth it as you can easily get 200K plus miles from these bikes.

Big Red now has 412,000 on the clock. Second engine at 400,000 or so. Original final drive. Rewired HES. Spiegler brake lines.

Big Red now has 412,000 on the clock. Second engine at 400,000 or so. Original final drive. Rewired HES. Spiegler brake lines.

Hank on ADVRider is just over 500K, new clutch, one final drive and new SS brake lines. These bikes, well maintained, can run for a VERY long time.

412K and 500K are impressive. I would never say I can maintain a bike like Paul Glaves, but mine has been in for service at the dealer every 6000 +/- miles. I do the oil changes (Mobil 1) and brake fluid changes and am never longer than the factory guidelines, occasionally shorter. Surprised you got 500K without a new Hall effect sensor. That being said I think I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining the bike. It would be nice to keep the bike. I am hoping to see the "easy" replacement of the front fairing pictures. That still seems like asking for trouble.

Jim:

Any thoughts of power washing the exposed mechanical components? Or is that a bit risky?

Jim:

Any thoughts of power washing the exposed mechanical components? Or is that a bit risky?

I already did it before I stripped it down. Now I am going to do it again for the rest of the bike. Power washing is only risky if you are not careful. No hitting seals at high pressure, close, and try not to directly hit electronic components.

Cleaned and polished the turn signals and tail lights of my project R1100RS. Like the rest of the bike, they were nasty. Came out nice.

Finished polishing the rest of the bodywork. It looks really good in photos, but the tank is still a bit dull. It will go round two polish, then all will get two coats of wax.

With the Corbin seat from BBY.

More proof that someone let the bike run at idle for an extended period.

Ouch! I remember an RSL that actually caught fire.

And the one that caught fire when the owner went back into the house to finish his coffee with the engine running, and then got a phone call. The bike ignited, the attached garage ignited, the house ignited, and when it was all over the owner sued BMW.

For working on the RS in the new workshop.
Installed lift casters on my Kenda motorcycle lift to use in my workshop. The workshop is to small to load a bike in, so I need to load the bike in the garage and roll it into the workshop. The Kenda is small and sleek, but wont roll with a bike on it. So, I purchased an 800 pound set of lift casters made for work benches and welded them onto the Kenda. Works great. My welds are getting a little better. Here you will see them raw, no grinding at all, no paint. That comes tomorrow.

Fun projects :thumb
Perhaps 20% more heat if you have it. Sorta looks like you are waiting for the weld to “catch up” to where you are headed.
That said- “The best looking welds don’t necessarily hold the best and the worst looking welds don’t necessarily hold the worst”. Vern Saunders, King Philip Welding Supplies.
Weld on.
OM

Back