Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 189

Thread: 1994 R1100RS Project bike.

  1. #76
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Oh boy, some of those nooks and crannies sure make this look like a flood bike to me.
    Possibly, though all the electronics work, and it turns over. The dirt and spider webs everywhere are consistent with living on a farm dirt road, and a couple years in a small open barn.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  2. #77
    poosu
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Port Orange, Fl
    Posts
    50
    I have been following this thread with interest as my ride is a red 1999 R1100RS. It was love at first sight and I bought it from a tennis buddy about 15 years ago. Your project must truly be a labor of love as my bike, before I managed to badly crack the main headlight faring, was worth $1100 as a trade in at our local BMW dealer. I bought and restored another fairing on line, but it needs to be painted and I've patched the original which is fully functional. Replacing that main fairing is kind of like a heart transplant. The problems that probably will arise could easily leave me with a basket case. What I have now is a fully functional ride that has all the stuff I like on it. From everywhere but the front left it looks great. My goal is to put 100K on the clock and I'm at 96.5. I'm just a guy who likes to ride motorcycles and had been doing it for 63 years. When I hit 100 K you can have a lot of spare parts you will need for a great price.

  3. #78
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by poosu View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest as my ride is a red 1999 R1100RS. It was love at first sight and I bought it from a tennis buddy about 15 years ago. Your project must truly be a labor of love as my bike, before I managed to badly crack the main headlight faring, was worth $1100 as a trade in at our local BMW dealer. I bought and restored another fairing on line, but it needs to be painted and I've patched the original which is fully functional. Replacing that main fairing is kind of like a heart transplant. The problems that probably will arise could easily leave me with a basket case. What I have now is a fully functional ride that has all the stuff I like on it. From everywhere but the front left it looks great. My goal is to put 100K on the clock and I'm at 96.5. I'm just a guy who likes to ride motorcycles and had been doing it for 63 years. When I hit 100 K you can have a lot of spare parts you will need for a great price.
    Sounds like you found a bike worth fixing. The front fairing isn't too hard to remove. Only the windscreen mechanism can be a bit of a challenge. I'll try to put together a few photos showing the process.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  4. #79
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    Possibly, though all the electronics work, and it turns over. The dirt and spider webs everywhere are consistent with living on a farm dirt road, and a couple years in a small open barn.

    Jim
    Jim,

    What's the interior of the airbox and air filter look like?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  5. #80
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Jim,

    What's the interior of the airbox and air filter look like?
    It had a lightly chewed filter and a lot of small seeds. The inside of the fuse box looked like a brand new bike.


    Another reason I am sure it was never under water.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by poosu View Post
    I have been following this thread with interest as my ride is a red 1999 R1100RS. It was love at first sight and I bought it from a tennis buddy about 15 years ago. Your project must truly be a labor of love as my bike, before I managed to badly crack the main headlight faring, was worth $1100 as a trade in at our local BMW dealer. I bought and restored another fairing on line, but it needs to be painted and I've patched the original which is fully functional. Replacing that main fairing is kind of like a heart transplant. The problems that probably will arise could easily leave me with a basket case. What I have now is a fully functional ride that has all the stuff I like on it. From everywhere but the front left it looks great. My goal is to put 100K on the clock and I'm at 96.5. I'm just a guy who likes to ride motorcycles and had been doing it for 63 years. When I hit 100 K you can have a lot of spare parts you will need for a great price.
    I’m 64 and bought a 94 RS like in this thread and gave 1000.00 when I bought it 2 years ago with 83 k on it. I just like the bike. I put a clutch, had fairing and tail piece painted, rebuild throttle bodies, had seat recover, Parabellum windscreen, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I do not plan to get my money out of it I just like it. Now it is approaching 90k I plan to ride it until I decide it time to get rid of it.
    1999 Triumph Tiger, 1998 K1200RS, & 1994 R1100RS

  7. #82
    Registered User barryg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    12,621
    Your going to like this bike, it's a good riding partner.

  8. #83
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Your going to like this bike, it's a good riding partner.
    My first boxer was a 1994 R1100RS. I put 35K miles on it before switching to the R1100GS. Great bikes.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  9. #84
    poosu
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Port Orange, Fl
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    Sounds like you found a bike worth fixing. The front fairing isn't too hard to remove. Only the windscreen mechanism can be a bit of a challenge. I'll try to put together a few photos showing the process.

    Jim
    That would be interesting as I've never seen a BMW I like better than mine. I'm a sucker for bright red and that paint is amazing. 21 years old a still bright. I is garaged so that has no doubt helped. On the flip side I am kind of disenchanted with BMW longevity. All the rubber brake lines failed like clockwork about 5 years ago. The rear end went last year. I just learned about insulation on Hall sensors. My 1983 Honda CB 1000 had nothing like that fail. It did have problems but not things like brake lines and a stupid 2" piece of internal insulation. Plus it spent the summers outside.

  10. #85
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by poosu View Post
    That would be interesting as I've never seen a BMW I like better than mine. I'm a sucker for bright red and that paint is amazing. 21 years old a still bright. I is garaged so that has no doubt helped. On the flip side I am kind of disenchanted with BMW longevity. All the rubber brake lines failed like clockwork about 5 years ago. The rear end went last year. I just learned about insulation on Hall sensors. My 1983 Honda CB 1000 had nothing like that fail. It did have problems but not things like brake lines and a stupid 2" piece of internal insulation. Plus it spent the summers outside.
    Unfortunately the brake lines from Germany, like the wire covers, were made of a semi-biodegradable material and just didn't last. Most final drives hold up well, but it depends on if the shimming was dead on at the factory or not. Either way, still well worth it as you can easily get 200K plus miles from these bikes.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    Unfortunately the brake lines from Germany, like the wire covers, were made of a semi-biodegradable material and just didn't last. Most final drives hold up well, but it depends on if the shimming was dead on at the factory or not. Either way, still well worth it as you can easily get 200K plus miles from these bikes.

    Jim
    Big Red now has 412,000 on the clock. Second engine at 400,000 or so. Original final drive. Rewired HES. Spiegler brake lines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  12. #87
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Big Red now has 412,000 on the clock. Second engine at 400,000 or so. Original final drive. Rewired HES. Spiegler brake lines.
    Hank on ADVRider is just over 500K, new clutch, one final drive and new SS brake lines. These bikes, well maintained, can run for a VERY long time.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

  13. #88
    poosu
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Port Orange, Fl
    Posts
    50
    412K and 500K are impressive. I would never say I can maintain a bike like Paul Glaves, but mine has been in for service at the dealer every 6000 +/- miles. I do the oil changes (Mobil 1) and brake fluid changes and am never longer than the factory guidelines, occasionally shorter. Surprised you got 500K without a new Hall effect sensor. That being said I think I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining the bike. It would be nice to keep the bike. I am hoping to see the "easy" replacement of the front fairing pictures. That still seems like asking for trouble.

  14. #89
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by poosu View Post
    That being said I think I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining the bike.
    Just "pretty good"?

  15. #90
    Registered User Rinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    5,474
    Jim:

    Any thoughts of power washing the exposed mechanical components? Or is that a bit risky?
    Rinty

Similar Threads

  1. 1994 r1100rs rid
    By BILLK75 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2015, 02:26 AM
  2. 1994 bmw r1100rs
    By MJinCP in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 08:23 PM
  3. 1994 r1100rs
    By SCBuckeye in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 01:41 AM
  4. Newbie about to get a R1100RS project in NE OH
    By rxcrider in forum New Members
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •