• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS Project bike.

Did you get the ABS light issue resolved? :hide

Thanks for a great read. Now you can go out and enjoy your porch.

Did you get the ABS light issue resolved? :hide

Thanks for a great read. Now you can go out and enjoy your porch.

LOL No, unfortunately no amount of flushing, resetting, etc seems to make it work. It resets briefly, but then fails again. Yes, even with a freshly charged battery.

Jim :brow

The legend of Jim

Yesterday, I was on a ride with 4 MOA members (3 on Sena comms). During the ride, on helmet comms, to a man, each of us had learned to wrench on our beemers from Jim’s video tutorials... as far back as a decade ago. Jim, you are truly an ambassador to our sport (one of the riders, Brian Hinton, is an ambassador and former rally chair). Keep up the good work sir. Your R1100RS looks super awesome, btw.

Yesterday, I was on a ride with 4 MOA members (3 on Sena comms). During the ride, on helmet comms, to a man, each of us had learned to wrench on our beemers from Jim’s video tutorials... as far back as a decade ago. Jim, you are truly an ambassador to our sport (one of the riders, Brian Hinton, is an ambassador and former rally chair). Keep up the good work sir. Your R1100RS looks super awesome, btw.

Thanks, I am humbled.

LOL No, unfortunately no amount of flushing, resetting, etc seems to make it work. It resets briefly, but then fails again. Yes, even with a freshly charged battery.

Did you try a switch on the power lead for the ABS, then power it after the bike is running? Mine is wired to the alternator sense wire, which only supplies voltage after the bike is going. Solved my intermittent problem. A switch is a more elegant and probably safer solution.

Did you try a switch on the power lead for the ABS, then power it after the bike is running? Mine is wired to the alternator sense wire, which only supplies voltage after the bike is going. Solved my intermittent problem. A switch is a more elegant and probably safer solution.

I would, but it won't work. You can fake it by riding the bike and turning off the key while moving, then turn it back on. It just refuses to stay reset.

Thanks,

I have two vintage R1100 bikes, one an RT and the other an RS. For me the RS always had a more stable ABS functioning than the RT. It never had an ABS failure on startup. The RT was totally a different animal. Sure, I could restart the RT bike a few times and get it to quiet down but largely it was a pain in the butt if it did not get a good voltage after startup. Good or bad battery, it made no difference. My assumption was that for some reason the voltage sensor in the RS ABS was more forgiving than the RT. They were different years. Anyway, knowing that the ABS would work sometimes on a start and ALWAYS on the alternator I altered the the electrical in the bike based on previous posts about rewiring the ABS to run off the alternator. Those links are available elsewhere. I purchased and set up a delay circuit to interrupt the voltage to the ABS, giving time for the engine to start and get running. It is set for about 7 seconds. It is located tucked under the seat. Probably an eBay or Amazon purchase. It was a bit of a challenge to get into the wiring harness and break the proper wire to interrupt the ABS voltage. But the modification was well worth it. Since going to this system, I have not had one ABS startup fault.

SS Brake lines are in, about a week from Italy. $80 delivered. Great deal considering the Galfer or Speiglers are $200.

Seem to be nice quality too. https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/1203...Brake-Line-Kit-Type-1-BMW-R-1100-RS-93-01.htm

I'm ready to replace my brake lines, are these the ones you ordered?, the lines for the R1100rs with ABS are a little pricier, about $110 US shipped. still not a bad price .the link in your post is for non ABS, but your RS has ABS ?

https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/1202...l-Brake-Line-Kit-Type-1-BMW-R-1100-RS-ABS.htm

I'm just catching up on this thread. Since I have a red 1999 R1100RS I had been watching it but then lost track. Really interesting and very nice job. Mine has 98.5K on it and I've kind of promised it a spiffing up if it makes 100.

I'm just catching up on this thread. Since I have a red 1999 R1100RS I had been watching it but then lost track. Really interesting and very nice job. Mine has 98.5K on it and I've kind of promised it a spiffing up if it makes 100.

Thanks, definitely worth the effort to save the bike! :)

Back