Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 1994 R1100RS Project bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
    Thanks Greg,

I honestly enjoy the work, most of the time. I really hate spiders!

Jim
    You must love it to do all this work. I know you have expanded my perspective on bike cleanup, and the projects I have been whining about now seem like nothing at all. Thanks!.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Jim, Iíll bet you $5.00 you canít make the wheels on either of my bikes look that good
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    You must love it to do all this work. I know you have expanded my perspective on bike cleanup, and the projects I have been whining about now seem like nothing at all. Thanks!.
    My wife likes it because I don't sit at the computer so much. I like it because it is fun to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Jim, I’ll bet you $5.00 you can’t make the wheels on either of my bikes look that good
    OM
    Oh I could, but it takes a bit of paint!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Jim, I think Omega Man will "gladly" pay you $5.00 to make his wheels look that good. Great thread, I look forward to seeing updates and live the pictures. I hope the bike runs half as well as it looks. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Are the lines DOT?
    nice price for the brake lines. are these for an ABS equipped R1100RS? I'm not sure if they all had ABS as I'm new to these bikes. thinking of replacing my old OEM rubber lines.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    nice price for the brake lines. are these for an ABS equipped R1100RS? I'm not sure if they all had ABS as I'm new to these bikes. thinking of replacing my old OEM rubber lines.
    Mine is a 94 RS and I have ABS. If you are riding an old oil head I would definitely replace the brake lines.
    1999 Triumph Tiger, 1998 K1200RS, & 1994 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by poosu View Post
    412K and 500K are impressive. I would never say I can maintain a bike like Paul Glaves, but mine has been in for service at the dealer every 6000 +/- miles. I do the oil changes (Mobil 1) and brake fluid changes and am never longer than the factory guidelines, occasionally shorter. Surprised you got 500K without a new Hall effect sensor. That being said I think I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining the bike. It would be nice to keep the bike. I am hoping to see the "easy" replacement of the front fairing pictures. That still seems like asking for trouble.
    good luck with the front fairing. I wanted to check my battery and can't get the left side panel off as the screw that goes onto the tank won't back out, the piece molded into the tank is spinning. The only choices I see are cutting a slot in the fairing or cutting the screw.I'm going to try one more thing, outward pressure on the fairing and a small impact wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    good luck with the front fairing. I wanted to check my battery and can't get the left side panel off as the screw that goes onto the tank won't back out, the piece molded into the tank is spinning. The only choices I see are cutting a slot in the fairing or cutting the screw.I'm going to try one more thing, outward pressure on the fairing and a small impact wrench.
    Hey Jim,

On the fairing side panels, that very rearward capscrew that screws into the side edge of the tank at the very back - does it screw into a brass insert or just the tank plastic?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Some photos from the seal change. I did it dropping the fork leg, since I had the wheel off, and from the top, just for fun.

Changed the brake lines too.

Tomorrow the rear line and flush/bleed the brakes.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download, Shifthead also now available.

Nice set of photos for the fork seals R&R.

Youíve probably already tightened things up, but hereís a tip. While the fork bridge is still not torqued and before the wheel goes back in, run the axle into the front forks. When the axle gets to the left fork leg it should be lined up perfectly with the opening on the left side. If itís not lined up right, loosen the screws on the fork bridge and then insert the axle through the left leg. Now carefully tighten up the fork bridge and then retest the axle. It should now go across from the right leg to the left leg and go into the left side without any twisting or force. What youíre doing is making sure that the forks and front wheel are going together without any twisting of the forks.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Nice set of photos for the fork seals R&R.

Youíve probably already tightened things up, but hereís a tip. While the fork bridge is still not torqued and before the wheel goes back in, run the axle into the front forks. When the axle gets to the left fork leg it should be lined up perfectly with the opening on the left side. If itís not lined up right, loosen the screws on the fork bridge and then insert the axle through the left leg. Now carefully tighten up the fork bridge and then retest the axle. It should now go across from the right leg to the left leg and go into the left side without any twisting or force. What youíre doing is making sure that the forks and front wheel are going together without any twisting of the forks.
    Thanks, and good advice. I did exactly that.

Jim

Not really much done. Painted the wheels, cleaned and lubed the calipers and loosely reinstalled them, and mounted the wheels.

Jim

This one of my favorite threads. Thank you for doing this and I will miss it when you finish it.
    1999 Triumph Tiger, 1998 K1200RS, & 1994 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by roninbuffalo View Post
    This one of my favorite threads. Thank you for doing this and I will miss it when you finish it.
    Ditto.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Same here.