• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 R1100RS Project bike.

Power washed all the crud and rat crap off, and moved it into the workshop.

Oh, and this model had head gasket issues, so I will likely be replacing them too.

Jim :brow

Your audience is expanding, I'll be watching this one too. I have an early '94 in the same color, it's been a great bike for 26 yrs now, I'm glad you're bringing this one back. You mentioned you're planning on adding a Corbin seat but PM me if you'd like a stock seat instead. Mine is the same color and it's been sitting on a basement shelf for 20 years since I replaced it with a Corbin Rumble-seat.

Your audience is expanding, I'll be watching this one too. I have an early '94 in the same color, it's been a great bike for 26 yrs now, I'm glad you're bringing this one back. You mentioned you're planning on adding a Corbin seat but PM me if you'd like a stock seat instead. Mine is the same color and it's been sitting on a basement shelf for 20 years since I replaced it with a Corbin Rumble-seat.

I should have posted before I bought the Corbin. It is a sport single seat, black with red piping.

Should look nice on the bike, but I will keep you in mind.

Thanks,

I should have posted before I bought the Corbin. It is a sport single seat, black with red piping.

Should look nice on the bike, but I will keep you in mind.

Thanks,

Those Corbin single piece seats are fairly low. If you're long of inseam, it might be a poor fit...…….

red.jpg

A helpful hint my dealer, Norman Jones gave to me.

If you take that yellow caution sticker off, you can raise and lower the wind screen to get the perfect angle. . .

Voni
sMiling

...Oh, and this model had head gasket issues, so I will likely be replacing them too.

I also have an early 94 R1100RS in red, purchased new. Last year at the Ga Mtn Rally I noticed that the head gaskets were leaking.

The newer laminated metal head gaskets appear to be more stout than the original cardboard gaskets. When I was torquing the head bolts, following the BMW procedure, one of the studs pulled out (top on right exhaust side) at the second angle around 80 degrees. I removed the piston and used the cylinder as a guide to drill, tap, and install a heli-coil. I measured the torque at various angles and found the second 90 degree would be 55 N-m. I decided to only go to 51 N-m (around 60 degrees). No leaks, and I decided to stay with 51 N-m on the head bolt re-torque after 500 miles.

I used the 3Bond (e.g. Hondabond or Yamabond) sealant for the cylinder base. No leaks almost a year later.

I also have an early 94 R1100RS in red, purchased new. Last year at the Ga Mtn Rally I noticed that the head gaskets were leaking.

The newer laminated metal head gaskets appear to be more stout that the original cardboard gaskets. When I was torquing the head bolts, following the BMW procedure, one of the studs pulled out (top on right exhaust side) at the second angle around 80 degrees. I removed the piston and used the cylinder as a guide to drill, tap, and install a heli-coil. I measured the torque at various angles and found the second 90 degree would be 55 N-m. I decided to only go to 51 N-m (around 60 degrees). No leaks, and I decided to stay with 51 N-m on the head bolt re-torque after 500 miles.

I used the 3Bond (e.g. Hondabond or Yamabond) sealant for the cylinder base. No leaks almost a year later.

Been there:

View attachment 77789

A helpful hint my dealer, Norman Jones gave to me.

If you take that yellow caution sticker off, you can raise and lower the wind screen to get the perfect angle. . .

Voni
sMiling

Not to argue with your years and miles of experience, but the owner of Aeroflow used to recommend the fender washers under the screen (which this R1100RS has) and two large 3M industrial rubber bumpers mounted on the front fairing to support the Aeroflow screen. As I recall the discussion (as he was installing my shield at the Midland Rally), he was concerned about the adjustment mechanisms ability to handle the wind load on the large shield and the localized stresses in the windshield material at the mounting points.

When the R1150RS was introduced, BMW improved the windshield mount to distribute the loads at the attachment points.

I have the original transmission in mine it has 85k on it and it works great. I wouldn't change tranny unless your having problems.

What transmission upgrade?

There were at least two. Since the original M93 transmissions rattled in neutral they added rubber O rings as silencers. This worked for a little while until the O rings hardened and then they rattled just as much. The real upgrade was to the M97 transmission.

But then the details that few noticed. I don't have the numbers handy but in a nutshell the original final drives with the M93 transmissions contained lower gearing than the later bikes with the M97 transmissions. This was compensated for by the fact that the output gearing from the M97 boxes was lower than the M93 trannys.

So, when an M97 transmission was transplanted into an early R1100RS the overall gearing had the lower transmission gears and the lower final drive gears, creating a bit of a hot rod.

EDIT: I changed three references from M94 to M93 in the above. I forgot that only a few early R1100RS bikes got the M93 before 10/93 or so.

Last edited:
There were at least two. Since the original M94 transmissions rattled in neutral they added rubber O rings as silencers. This worked for a little while until the O rings hardened and then they rattled just as much. The real upgrade was to the M97 transmission.

But then the details that few noticed. I don't have the numbers handy but in a nutshell the original final drives with the M94 transmissions contained lower gearing than the later bikes with the M97 transmissions. This was compensated for by the fact that the output gearing from the M97 boxes was lower than the M94 trannys.

So, when an M97 transmission was transplanted into an early R1100RS the overall gearing had the lower transmission gears and the lower final drive gears, creating a bit of a hot rod.

Hmmm.......never knew. Sometimes, it's good not to be an early adopter.:wave

As described in my earlier post it is a hotrod with the lower gearing of the M97 transmission and the original final drive.

And oops, I forgot about the M93 boxes and merged them in my discussion with the M94 ones.

While the acceleration would be better with the Hotrod, I always found myself wanting a higher final gear in my '99 R11RS.

While the acceleration would be better with the Hotrod, I always found myself wanting a higher final gear in my '99 R11RS.

Well that may be, but I wasn't about to go buy a new final drive or ring gear and pinion. Besides, at 412,000 miles that final drive is still original with original bearings. They don't all fail.

Back