• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 GSA Rough idle and quits

dkoonz

Hello everyone!
I ride a 2017 F800 GSA, and recently have been having the following issues and am trying to nail down what it could be.
All of this presents after the bike has been sitting out in the sun while I'm at work (Alabama, so around 90*F). I will start the bike up, and it will idle kind of roughly with occasional rpm dips. Then when I'm riding, usually in a lower gear at slow speeds, the bike will idle down and the engine will quit (pulling the clutch in really only saves it about 50% of the time). Most of the time, I can fire it back up, and she will go on chugging, occasionally it will take 2-3 tries to get it to turn over. The engine will die anywhere from 4-10 times on my 10 mile ride home. It has yet to die when I'm riding in in the morning.
Background on the bike:
2017, 8K ish miles, met all service/maintenance intervals.
Really appreciate any and all suggestions!

Welcome to the forum!
Maybe the next time it starts chugging, open the fuel cap and see if that changes the condition.
Good luck.
Gary

What happens if you open up the gas cap before riding home? The charcoal canister has been known to give some people problems.

Next I'd double check that you have a healthy battery and no water in the fuel. Then move on to a possible vacuum leak or a dying fuel pump/pump controller.

Do you know anyone with a GS911 or motoscan? There may be fault codes that will further help with a diagnosis

The description sounds to me like a failing air intake temperature sensor. I am not sure but the temperature displayed on the dashboard might be from this sensor as well.

/Guenther

The description sounds to me like a failing air intake temperature sensor. I am not sure but the temperature displayed on the dashboard might be from this sensor as well.

/Guenther

I kinda like that thought as well......especially if a critter has got into the air filter/box/intake and peeeed :eek
OM

F800 GSA Rough Idle and Quits

Sounds like a problem that some 2006 era F650GS bikes had. If the ignition was switched on and the start button immediately pressed, the engine would run for a minute or two and then just quit. But it would always restart. The problem was supposedly in the intake air sensing. The sensor had to heat up to take a good reading before air was flowing over it. The fix was to turn on the ignition, count to 10, then push Start. Worked every time!

Sounds like a problem that some 2006 era F650GS bikes had. If the ignition was switched on and the start button immediately pressed, the engine would run for a minute or two and then just quit. But it would always restart. The problem was supposedly in the intake air sensing. The sensor had to heat up to take a good reading before air was flowing over it. The fix was to turn on the ignition, count to 10, then push Start. Worked every time!

Welcome to the forum!
On my F800GS I don’t wait a specific amount of time but do wait until the “needles” get through their sweep. I can see how it could make a difference.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Resolved???

Thank you to everyone for your help! Out of an abundance of concern for my bike, (because who here doesn't make rash decision with their bikes?!) I have done the following and the issue seems to have been alleviated:
-Opened up the air filter, cleaned it out and cleaned the feeder tubes.
-Disconnected the battery (in order to get to the air filter)
-Opened up the fuel tank, removed the fuel pump/filter and drained them (watch out for that O-ring when you're putting it back in)
-Occasionally open the filler cap prior to start if she's been in the sun.
-Wait a bit longer after turning to ignition prior to crank
One of these, or a combination of the actions seems to have brought my F800 and I back to the same page!

Back