• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dropped my K1600B off for the Transmission Recall

18grandam

Made an appointment with my Dealer in February to drop my '18 Grand America off for the Transmission Recall when the assigned recall kit for my bike is received. They estimated that the parts assigned to my bike would arrive at the Dealership around March 26th Since the weather up hear in the NE has been unusually mild this winter, I made an appointment to drop my bike off on March 26th.

I called on the 25th to confirm the parts arrived as planned, and dropped my bike off for service in the morning. Sunny but cool around 42F. (Love the heated grips and seat). So far so good, but as luck would have it, the Governor of NH issued a closure executive order of all non-essential businesses the next day through May 4th, because of the Coronovirus.

My Dealer, (MAX BMW, North Hampton NH), called me today to let me know that even though they are closed to the public, they are still servicing bikes and will call me when my bike is ready for what they call Curbside pick up. Service was slightly delayed so the Dealer could prepare for the shutdown with reduced Staff. I expect to pick it up sometime next week. I'll post a follow up on my ride home experience with the transmission repair.
Kevin

Great

I know some dealerships are allowing mechanics one day each and rotating them. I have seen on YouTube what it takes to do the recall, it is very extensive. Good luck and that bike is amazing.

Kevin - good to hear that you're getting your K1600 in for recall service. I've heard that it takes a tech almost a full day to make the changeover. I've also heard that most people like the results and say the transmission shifts more smoothly.

Looks like our weather up in the NE is going to be cold and rainy for a week, so this is good time to have the bike in for the recall.

Let us know what you think of the result.

Thanks -

John

The Service Manager told me it takes 5 hours to complete the recall, but because special tools direct from BMW are required, only one set of tools allocated per Dealership. That means they can only do one bike at a time. I like the fact that each recall kit is registered and assigned to each VIN number for traceability in the event of a future problem. My Dealer said that only my bike can have my kit installed. My kit stays on the shelf until I drop my bike off for service. Good Stuff.
PS
They also offered me a free loaner bike, but given that it’s March, I passed on a loaner.
Kevin

Assembly line..............

The Service Manager told me it takes 5 hours to complete the recall, but because special tools direct from BMW are required, only one set of tools allocated per Dealership. That means they can only do one bike at a time. I like the fact that each recall kit is registered and assigned to each VIN number for traceability in the event of a future problem. My Dealer said that only my bike can have my kit installed. My kit stays on the shelf until I drop my bike off for service. Good Stuff.
PS
They also offered me a free loaner bike, but given that it’s March, I passed on a loaner.
Kevin

Actually, dealerships with multiple mechanics can do more than one at a time. 70-80% of the aprox 5 hours to complete the recall is in the prep work, especially for bikes with reverse. Removing panels, gas tank, reverser mechanism, etc. Once the tranny cassette is out (the part of the job where the special tools are needed) it only takes less than an hour to rebuild it. So several mechanics can be pulling bikes apart and then take turns using the tools on the tranny cassette. Or you could have one guy assigned to just the tranny portion, and the other mechs funnel the work to him and then put their bikes back together after he is done. Dealer I work with does 2-4 bikes a day.

I can't speak for my Dealership, but I suspect that they are not allowed by the State of NH to have several mechanics working side by side on motorcycles due to State National Emergency restrictions to reduce the threat of COVID-19. Under normal circumstances, I would agree that it's entirely possible for Dealers to work on several bikes at a time with a full staff of mechanics sharing the work. Not sure that's the case under the current environment. As long as I get my bike back in good working order in a reasonable amount of time.....I'll be happy.

I can't speak for my Dealership, but I suspect that they are not allowed by the State of NH to have several mechanics working side by side on motorcycles due to State National Emergency restrictions to reduce the threat of COVID-19. Under normal circumstances, I would agree that it's entirely possible for Dealers to work on several bikes at a time with a full staff of mechanics sharing the work. Not sure that's the case under the current environment. As long as I get my bike back in good working order in a reasonable amount of time.....I'll be happy.

You should have it before tha last snow of the year. :)

Transmission Recall first impressions

Well I picked my Grand America up on April 7, and went for a couple of long rides. I never had any complaints with how the bike shifted, either manually or using the Shift Assist Pro feature before I dropped it off for the recall. I wish I could say that my bike shifts better than before, runs smoother, and handles better, and gets better gas mileage, but to be honest, I don't notice any difference at all in how my bike operates after the transmission recall has been completed.

So, my first impressions are fairly basic.......No hardware is missing; No oil leaks; No strange noises; No scratches on my bike; No Charge for the service............I'm very happy, Thanks MAX BMW !

Kevin

got my appointment today for june 9th. says i can drop off that morning and pick up the next day. great.

alb

Well, as to the GTL, the NHTSA Recall #19V-692 states the following:

"BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear, free of charge. Interim letters notifying owners of the safety risk was mailed November 1, 2019. A second letter will be sent once the remedy is available. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov."

Well, as to the GTL, the NHTSA Recall #19V-692 states the following:

"BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear, free of charge. Interim letters notifying owners of the safety risk was mailed November 1, 2019. A second letter will be sent once the remedy is available. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov."
2016 GTL....yes or no?

No appreciable difference so far..

Hey gang,

So, had my K1600b serviced up here in the Seattle area. Dealer was great at scheduling service appointment, fast to get the required materials in, and an easy drop-off. Bike was done within a couple days. When I picked it up, the service tech told me they had a small incident and scratched my rear case. (It was very minor and frankly buffed out quickly. I tend to use ceramic wax and I think that maybe helped keep paint transfer from the other bike they grazed to a minimum.) Talk about “pucker-factor” moments though, when you hear that before you see your bike...lol. Had the standard oil change and service done too.

First impression: No real change I noticed.. standard shifting, same smooth performance. I will have to ride it for another hundred miles or so. You can definitely tell the trans box was cracked open (new gasket sealant), but otherwise the service was smooth. Personally I’m always apprehenisve about “big recall services” but the thought of my trans locking up at 70mph flashed through my head after reading the notice. LOL.

:usa

Back