• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

FortNine Review of new 1250GS- Very funny

BC1100S, thought that looked like some of my old stomping grounds but couldn't place it. But then I haven't been on that area since I used to tear around there in the mid-late '70s on my GS750. ;-) Moved back to the East Coast in '81.

I also like his videos for their humour and irreverence, but often dislike the really poor and misleading testing methods and results.

Example, testing for waterproof gear. They use the completely flawed premise that if a little is good, a lot is better, etc. Just try that for your torque settings on engine reassembly, or worse still re-installing your tupperware, etc. Many, many other of their tests start with a completely incorrect premise and end up with the wrong conclusions.

Certainly, the R1250GS test is a prime example of all of this and frustrated me (as you can tell).
  • I'm not sure how hard he needed to exaggerate the acceleration and throttle response of the 1250 engine, but I was shocked to watch the video and see a fake exaggeration of the Shift Cam transition. I've logged plenty of time on my R1250RT and on an R1250GS and, like every "professional" bike review of the 1250 that I've read, it is virtually impossible to even notice the transition let alone have it be the least bit intrusive.
  • He's quite correct that VVT/VVL, etc., has been around for a long time. BMW has used it in their cars for decades. Yes, Honda had perhaps the 1st version but it was not a good one with a definite Jeckle and Hyde personality, unlike the very smooth and almost imperceptible BMW Shift Cam. No mention of how superior the BMW system is to that Honda one??? Also, while the Shift Cam requires an electronic motor to operate, from what I understand, the engine operates just fine if that motor fails.
  • Hill Start Control - Unfortunately he either doesn't know much if anything about it and didn't read the material on it or listen to the directions, or deliberately chose to misrepresent HSC. HSC can be activated and deactivated, so, if you are in an area or situation where you want it to operate or not operate that is your choice.
As I said, I like his videos, I just wish he didn't get so much so completely wrong.

If you think I'm being too hard on poor RyanF9, watch his R1250GS video (above) and then watch his KTM 1290 Adventure review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b31J9-VKug

They very things that he rants about on the BMW (more HP than needed, weight, HSC, etc.) and downgrades it for, he either glosses over or is only mildly annoyed with on the 160HP KTM that weighs the same as the R1250GS. To me it is a telling juxtaposition, but perhaps I'm being too harsh.

They very things that he rants about on the BMW (more HP than needed, weight, HSC, etc.) and downgrades it for, he either glosses over or is only mildly annoyed with on the 160HP KTM that weighs the same as the R1250GS. To me it is a telling juxtaposition, but perhaps I'm being too harsh.

I find this guy to be unwatchable because he is so arrogant.

They're basically just a Canadian copy of Revzilla.

To me it is a telling juxtaposition, but perhaps I'm being too harsh.

No, you're not being too harsh. While I enjoy watching his videos, I do keep more than a few grains of salt handy while tuned in. Its kind of like watching Fox News - you know something happened but you're pretty sure you're getting a biased view. (I know some people are lighting their hair on fire as we speak :laugh )

I love the East Coast of Canada. I just wish it weren't so far away from me. As you can imagine Greater Vancouver has changed a lot since '81 mostly for the good but some not. That's what comes with growth. On the plus side, the road to Whistler is stupendous since it was redone for the Olympics. The sun just popped out so I think I'll saddle up and go and make sure they didn't change anything over the last 3 weeks. :D

A great deal of what Ryan says is tongue in cheek or laced with a bit of sarcasm. But Voni and I had the opportunity to get to know him pretty well during the two days of (camp) G.E.A.R.S. at the 2019 rally. He was outstanding with the young riders. He was fun, thorough, detailed and well prepared doing half-day teaching stints for each of the two groups of trainees. He had well prepared for the sessions with exercises for the young riders and detailed trouble shooting for them too. His presentations went well with the half-day on range training too. I hope we can get him back for future sessions: maybe at Fargo in 2021.

Last edited:
Terrific for Sheltering In Place

Thanks for bringing FortNine's highly entertaining videos to my attention!

We may all debate to greater or lesser extent his conclusions but his wit and the great production values may them well worth watching in either case.

Since I'm going to be at home for some considerable length of time, I'm glad I have his videos to explore.

Back