• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

Fifth coat of wax going on the bike today. Spending time on the interwebz buying stuff I don't need. Does one really need 4 jackets?

A walk to the beach is always good with a cigar in the shed. A couple of boys surfing today but I haven't been in the water since my near drowning on the 19th.

Ive been reviving my '02 K1200LT

I've been working on my K1200LT. It wouldn't start, so I bought everything that it might've been, just in case. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3004.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3005.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3006.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3008.jpg

Installing a new mini-split heat pump system for the bedroom and office.

The new mini-split systems have come such a long way. Most are pre-charged to 25' and with a tank of nitrogen, a vacuum pump and electricity you are good to go.

It's a good reminder that if you have HVAC equipment that needs service, especially for the summer season, good to get on it now. Whether this mess breaks or not, I believe there will be service delays.
It would hurt to have some of the associated consumables (filters) as well.
OM

Freak event-board hit me in the gut and knocked the wind out of me, I was on back in the water unable to breath or move waiting for the first gasp. I don't remember that gasp but obviously I took in water and in knocked me out and rolled me over. A friend was watching from the beach and he said I was face down unconscious for at least 20-30 seconds. Very spooky coming to unaware of where or what I was and when I finally reached full awake I realized I was I the water. Pretty sure you can't get much closer to that and come out good. A little hospital time, Tylenol for the fever and a short run of antibiotics and steroids preventative. Good times!

The new mini-split systems have come such a long way. Most are pre-charged to 25' and with a tank of nitrogen, a vacuum pump and electricity you are good to go.

It's a good reminder that if you have HVAC equipment that needs service, especially for the summer season, good to get on it now. Whether this mess breaks or not, I believe there will be service delays.
It would hurt to have some of the associated consumables (filters) as well.
OM

I'm a big fan of the mini-splits. They make the second floor of my Cape Cod-style house livable in the Summer and allow me to have a 4-season shop in the second floor addition on my detached garage. My only caution is ....... don't be surprised if the manufacturer/brand you buy doesn't exist in a few years. When I bought my units, Sanyo was the most popular brand for residential or commercial in the mid-Atlantic region. We have lots of old buildings and these systems make upgrading the HVAC in those buildings possible at an affordable price. In any case, Panasonic wanted to be in the mini-split business, so they bought Sanyo's product line, changed the labels, pissed-off the old dealers and went out the business in a few years. So, new old stock (NOS) parts are your only hope when they fail....control boards being a good example.

My suggestion would be to buy the unit (whatever brand you choose) from a source that you'll use for service. In that way, the source/dealer might be willing to make the extra needed effort if the OEM leaves the market like Sanyo.

Just finished stripping and sanding this old dresser that was my sister's growing up. Lovely piece of real wood but now I have no idea what to do to finish it. I was going to paint it again but the missus says no. Hmmmm...
IMG_2721_heic-L.jpg

I'm a big fan of the mini-splits. They make the second floor of my Cape Cod-style house livable in the Summer and allow me to have a 4-season shop in the second floor addition on my detached garage.

I am a fan too. But I do have to say that creating a 2-1/2 to 3 inch hole in an 11 inch thick cement stabilized adobe wall is more interesting than I anticipated. But I am almost done with hole number one. Then onward to the other room. :banghead

Skibum, maybe a thread on the dresser is in order.
What’s the wood species?
Was it painted?
Some of us here are woodworkers and might be able to offer suggestions about finishes.
It’s not like we don’t have the time.
Paul

Sunday evening, 3-29-20

Tonight, the Fox News Channel and the regular Fox Broadcast outlets will broadcast the iHeart Living Room Concert- 9 PM Eastern time.
It will be hosted by Elton John and will feature musical guests across a number of genres.
OM

I am a fan too. But I do have to say that creating a 2-1/2 to 3 inch hole in an 11 inch thick cement stabilized adobe wall is more interesting than I anticipated. But I am almost done with hole number one. Then onward to the other room. :banghead

Reminds me of a bar conversation I had in England one time. Chatting with the locals, one middle age guy on the periphery of the group, having had a few, loudly announced ........... "You GD yanks are so lucky. It's just so easy for you". Having no clue what prompted this, I, being rather dull witted but wishing to be social, said....."What do you mean". The middle aged Brit replied........."All your little castles are new and the walls are made dry wall, but my wife wants a new bathroom like in an American house. That means I have to drill holes thru a 12" thick stone wall that was built in the 1700's. Do you know how much that cost?"

It was something I hadn't thought about before......

Skibum, maybe a thread on the dresser is in order.
What’s the wood species?
Was it painted?
Some of us here are woodworkers and might be able to offer suggestions about finishes.
It’s not like we don’t have the time.
Paul

Great idea. Along those lines, could you post some pictures of one drawer ...... inside, back and bottom. Also, a picture of the back of the dresser.

Went for our first motorcycle ride of the year (2wheeled). We have ridden the Urals all winter, but it was nice to ride the GS/GSA and be on a very well made machine.

Last edited:
I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home, so weekdays 9-5+ are same for me. I try to get the dogs out for a long walk mid day to clear my head, we're lucky to be on 8 acres with lots of room to roam. We moved into our new-to-us house back in October, and have had ongoing projects since then. The past 2 weekends have been wall prep and painting. With spring upon us, I am sure yard projects will keep us busy.

I freed the motorcycle from the back of the garage this weekend, it was hemmed in by lumber and other contractor equipment. I plan to service the bike later this week and get in some sanity time on the bike soon.

Ya'all stay safe!

I had to try a variety of tools and methods before I got the hole done:

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yes, Panasonic bought out Sanyo HVAC. Panasonic is still in business and doing well selling mini splits. As for changes in the line, it had to happen to meet DOE and EPA requirements. Parts are still available for Sanyo badged units. I should know, I work for a Panasonic distributor. Anyone saying otherwise is full of it! Granted, parts for a 20 year old unit might be tough, but they are at the end of life anyway.

What you needed what a Hilti hammer drill. I have their smallest one that takes the same batteries as my drill and recap saw. They are the best out there, I have spent a lot of time driving them in all sizes.

Back