• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

Working on a shop improvement plan. I built a 400 sq/ft loft in the unheated side last summer. This year I am enclosing the space under the loft so it can be heated. In the process of wiring the ceiling for lighting then will frame in the one new wall required. Annie is the insulator and mud/taper for the drywall. This space will serve as a tire changing area and machine shop (I do not have many such tools and barely know how to avoid hurting myself with what I have). I can also roll in one of my lifts that will hold the Urals so I have a warm area to work on them in the winter. I will not keep it heated all the time, but this will give us around 1500 sq/ft of heated space when added to the area that is already heated.

This shows the new loft:

View attachment 77738

Shop envy here...nice!!

Working on a shop improvement plan. I built a 400 sq/ft loft in the unheated side last summer. This year I am enclosing the space under the loft so it can be heated. In the process of wiring the ceiling for lighting then will frame in the one new wall required. Annie is the insulator and mud/taper for the drywall. This space will serve as a tire changing area and machine shop (I do not have many such tools and barely know how to avoid hurting myself with what I have). I can also roll in one of my lifts that will hold the Urals so I have a warm area to work on them in the winter. I will not keep it heated all the time, but this will give us around 1500 sq/ft of heated space when added to the area that is already heated.

This shows the new loft:

View attachment 77738

I am envious. :wave

Start the day with a two hour hike up the mountain in my backyard. Three miles up, three miles back, climbing 1,400'. Catch up on morning readings and news.
P3050006.jpg
Work on own bikes and others. On mine, '00 R1100RS, changed fork seals and oil, changed braked fluid, synced throttle bodies. On the '83 R80ST, changed fork seals, gaters and oil, changed brake fluid, need to change neutral switch and trans oil, change coil and plug wires, adjust and sync carbs. On the '85 K100RS/eml, need to change temp sensor, coolant and spark plugs. On the '93 K1100LT, continue building this custom project, turning it into a stripped down, standard K similar to a C.
IMG_6286.jpg
Bringing in firewood, continue yard work and watch the elk, deer and turkey in the yard and on the mountains, around the house.
P2160005.JPG
Riding will have to wait until the governor's order of shelter in place is lifted. Physically, riding is easy from here while being socially distant, but trying to set an example of obeying the order. There are already too many folks who don't believe it applies to them so are out and about but this is the only way we'll beat this C19 thing.

Take care, stay well and ride when you can. This too shall pass.

I would hate to see how many mowers he would need here in the east? Our per acre haylage production is nominally 2x that of the dry west.

I have a buddy that is a full time hay farmer and part time rancher. He has an irrigation canal that runs thru his spread that is fed by the Missouri. He irrigates with three pivots and some wheel lines. He gets three cuttings a summer of grass and alfalfa. The first two are near chest high. The ranch next to us has been in operation by the same family since 1863 and he has water rights that allow him to divert the creek that runs through our valley. He uses a network of ditches and little dams to flood his fields. He gets one decent cutting on a good year. Hay is big business in Montana. Cattle here must have their feed supplemented for around six months.

Annie and I have been trying to tear down a beaver dam in the creek that runs thru our place. We got a 60 pound beaver this fall. Their dams are something to behold. Short of explosives it takes a lot of work to tear one down. I cut a canal through the center and overflow created a few others. Now we have three islands.

Grandson Jack and I inspected our work today. We are on alert for other beavers moving in.

IMG-1923.jpg

IMG-1928.jpg

Last edited:
No Hay

I would love to give any body some of our excess water since October 2019 the farm has received 21 inches of rain, and 4.85 inches in the last 30 days. After crop is planted and harvested corn usually averages between 250 to 275 bushel/ acre.
No hay but corn is a member of the grass family.

I would love to give any body some of our excess water since October 2019 the farm has received 21 inches of rain, and 4.85 inches in the last 30 days. After crop is planted and harvested corn usually averages between 250 to 275 bushel/ acre.
No hay but corn is a member of the grass family.

According to the NWS, you're in for another wet spring

Start the day with a two hour hike up the mountain in my backyard. Three miles up, three miles back, climbing 1,400'. Catch up on morning readings and news.
View attachment 77751
Work on own bikes and others. On mine, '00 R1100RS, changed fork seals and oil, changed braked fluid, synced throttle bodies. On the '83 R80ST, changed fork seals, gaters and oil, changed brake fluid, need to change neutral switch and trans oil, change coil and plug wires, adjust and sync carbs. On the '85 K100RS/eml, need to change temp sensor, coolant and spark plugs. On the '93 K1100LT, continue building this custom project, turning it into a stripped down, standard K similar to a C.
View attachment 77752
Bringing in firewood, continue yard work and watch the elk, deer and turkey in the yard and on the mountains, around the house.
View attachment 77753
Riding will have to wait until the governor's order of shelter in place is lifted. Physically, riding is easy from here while being socially distant, but trying to set an example of obeying the order. There are already too many folks who don't believe it applies to them so are out and about but this is the only way we'll beat this C19 thing.

Take care, stay well and ride when you can. This too shall pass.

When is Turkey season in ID?

Go on a nice long walk every day.

Been working on a few small home improvement projects. Need to build a new deck yet when the ground thaws.

Ride motorcycles when the weather allows, the 310 has been my go-to lately.

Day trading! And with the volatility in the market it has been rewarding! Lots of good deals out there for long term investors also.

Be de-winterizing the travel trailer (toy hauler) very soon.

Have the house shipshape and plans made for the evening meal when the still-working wife gets home from work. :thumb

Reading. Working from home. Various projects around the house.
And got the motorbikes out a couple times.
And finished season three of The Crown and Man in the High Castle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, looks like I just got through a stabilizer rebuild on my old Woods BH750 backhoe. I'm not sure if they are available anymore, this one is circa 1983. It doesn't owe me a thing but it's getting harder to get parts when I need them. The good folks at Messick's in PA hooked me up (again) with the current (generic) seal kit- actually 2 kits, and I dug in. I haven't done a lot of these and the generic seal kits have parts for a number of the "similar" cylinders and as a couple of seals came out in pieces that looked like stepped on macaroni, it was tedious.
This one was leaking to the point of the stabilizer "creeping" down when it was parked with a little fluid loss. The other side is "wet" and I will tackle that one at a later date. As "Experience is the thing you get just after you need it", I will be able to do the other side considerable faster......Made some notes, including that the 1-5/16ths internal nut has red Locktite on it. :eek
I rate repairs in the amount of tools I needed to get the job done. This was a 35 tool job. :)
OM

This shows the new loft:

View attachment 77738

Good looking shop.

mthelmet moa #557

Back