Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R90 electrical gremlins

I think

I think, but do not know for sure the four way flasher system in your bike has a link that allows the green turn signal indicator light to flash along with the red four way flasher switch. At least that is the way the system works on my 78 RS On my 84 RT, they did away with the link and ONLY the red four way flasher switch flashes when turned on.

So, I deduce if you are having a faintly glowing GREEN indicator light, something is amiss in the link between the four way flasher system and the regular turn signal system. The corroded wires on the four way flasher system whirl be a good place to start.

By the way, if the four way flasher is glowing faintly when they are not on, that may be normal. A faintly glowing Green light is not.

You are on the right track. Maybe giving the switch a shot of contact cleaner and cleaning as many connections you can get to might just solve the problem. If cleaning does not, then I think a wire is out of place.

Trouble is, the headlight shell is such a bear to work in. Hard to see in there with all the wires and limited space. Good luck. St.

New relay installed

new relay for the four-way system arrived today From Bobs, plugged it in and everything works as it should but it is a 30AMP where the old one is a 15AMP should this concern me? I also installed a inline fuse to the red power wire going to the relay.
    I would like to thank everyone who jumped in to help me out. I decided to keep the four-way flasher system intact now that it is working properly. The handlebar switch is working better with a little dielectric grease squirted in where I could. I now have a much better understanding of the wiring within my headlight bucket.
    Thanks again for the all the help .

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    new relay for the four-way system arrived today From Bobs, plugged it in and everything works as it should but it is a 30AMP where the old one is a 15AMP should this concern me?
    No. It simply means that 30a relay can work with a circuit of UP TO 30 amps where the old one could handle a circuit UP TO half that at 15 amps. There is when plugged into the circuit on your bike no practical difference. Certainly there is no reason to worry.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thwarted

Aha, corrosion, crude and rust thwarted again by diligent and skilled work!

Very happy you are back in business with the system.

Glad to be of little help. St.