• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil filter change

Apply a thin layer of oil to the rubber seal, then torque the filter to 8 foot lbs (11nm) This setting is the same for the r1100, R1150, and r1200 engines. Everyone who does their own maintenance should have a torque wrench.
DP

:thumb

And, as previously stated, use a properly fitting oil filter cup wrench. Its a necessity on the R1100/R1150 motors.

FWIW
I tighten 5/8 to 3/4 turn after oiled gasket contact.
Never had a leak in 40+ years
Never had a stuck filter when I went to remove.

I own 5 calibrated torque wrenches.

Edit: I've seen more issues with larger range torque wrenches being used on the bottom end of their range.
1 wrench will not reliably cover all ranges.
They should be stored set at 5% of their range and calibration checked periodically.

I'm starting to wonder how many on this thread have ever changed a filter on an oilhead 1100/1150.

And with two full turns on the install he is going to need a pretty stout cup wrench. I think I'd be removing it now and replacing it while it is still fresh and recently installed. I don't know if that would help or not, but still, 2 full turns...... oofta.

I'm actually surprised something didn't get stripped out at that point.

And with two full turns on the install he is going to need a pretty stout cup wrench. I think I'd be removing it now and replacing it while it is still fresh and recently installed. I don't know if that would help or not, but still, 2 full turns...... oofta.

I'm actually surprised something didn't get stripped out at that point.

it a couple of turns, did not crank on it..
Nothing about 2 full turns. As it was clarified later in the thread, I guess he could of said a couple of twists :dunno
2 full turns would have been quite a different result.
OM

Nothing about 2 full turns. As it was clarified later in the thread, I guess he could of said a couple of twists :dunno
2 full turns would have been quite a different result.
OM

Oops, reading closer he says hand tightened and then 1 full turn. (the sun wasn't up yet, my bad) :)

Oops, reading closer he says hand tightened and then 1 full turn. (the sun wasn't up yet, my bad) :)

:wave
It's tough to decipher the actual going's on through the typed word. A while back I (last resort) air-chisled an oil filter off a Chevy pickup. I should have taken a picture of what was left of the filter before I was called :eek
OM

The filter on my Harley is tough to get to without tools. I use a cap wrench, a 3/8" extension and a screw driver, style handle to put on and remove.

Been doing my own oil changes since 1977 and have always used the method my high school auto shop teacher showed me. A nice size piece of 320 grit sand paper (wet or dry type it doesn't matter) and give it a good twist by hand. about 15 cars and trucks over the years, a bunch of motorcycles and currently do the regular oil & filter changes on 4 oil heads and 5 hex heads I haven't had a leak yet and never had an issue taking the old one off. You just have to make sure that seal on the old filter doesn't stay stuck up on the motor. If its just dumb luck I will take it.

Oil change today...I hamfistedly put my filter on too tight and tried to back it off and couldn't - the tool just skipped along. I saw this post and took a piece of sandpaper and lined the inside of the tool and it gripped better and came right off. I would have never thought of that had I not seen your post.

Firm contact plus half a turn might be hand tight depending on the grip you have. I do want to see somebody install a filter on an R1100 or R1150 using hands without tools. Best of luck. :)

I do tighten hand but do use oil filter socket that I used to remove filter

One big problem riders have with oil filters is filter wrenches that almost fit but not quite. For example, if you have a classic K bike or an Oilhead and use OEM filters you will not find a properly fitting filter wrench at a local auto parts store. The filter flutes are different. The one that really fits is made by Hazet in Europe and is a beefy aluminum forged tool, not stamped out of sheet metal. I am not sure of the later models.

Last edited:
Good to know Paul. I used the one I had that fits my 944's oil filters. I was surprised it fit when I did this last summer so just used it again, until it didn't work. Surely this came from the FLAPS.

The one that really fits is made by Hazet in Europe and is a beefy aluminum forged tool, not stamped out of sheet metal. I am not sure of the later models.

Bought mine in 1988 and have been able to use it for all of our BMWs since then.
Filter Wrench (1).jpg

Filter Wrench (2).JPG

Bought mine in 1988 and have been able to use it for all of our BMWs since then.

:thumb

Ditto, except the "bought mine in 1988" part.

The stamped steel ones are fine until you run into an uncooperative filter. Then you need the one Lee and Mr. Glaves reference.

BTW there are some pretty good aftermarket oil filters out there that have a hex fitting on the bottom — 17mm I believe — that make it very easy to install and remove the filter with your normal wrenches.
Also, might I suggest, that you open up the filter and take a look to see what’s accumulating in there. Even use a little magnet to drag through the folds in the filter. If there’s crud send the oil sample — that you should have taken as it drained from the crankcase during your oil change — to a testing lab like Blackstone (there are others) for analysis. Usually about $25 bucks. If you do have something going on in the engine they can often narrow down the problem by identifying the various metals in the sample. They give you a full written report and you can even call to talk to them about it if you’re inclined. Some metal in the oil is normal. This will help with your peace of mind or encourage you to start that savings account.

I guess everyone here is afraid to stray from BMW filters. I use K&N oil filters with the welded hex nut. Tired of all those oil wrenches that slip or get wedged in and then its a mess trying to pry that old oily filter out of the cup.K&N Filter.JPG

Back