• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil filter change

RICH7196

hi all.. just changed oil and filter on a '99 RT 1100.. i hand tightened the oil filter and then attached oil filter wrench and gave it a couple of turns, did not crank on it.. since i don't have a torque wrench i did it by feel.. took for ride, no leaks .. seems to be ok.. just wondering what to look out for if i did over tighten.. ? I'm assuming i could of possibly broke seal and therefore would have leak?

using 20W 50 dinno.. oil level is right in middle of glass.. I've been out today , approx 50 miles.. checked under bike. all dry no leaks.

hi all.. just changed oil and filter on a '99 RT 1100.. i hand tightened the oil filter and then attached oil filter wrench and gave it a couple of turns, did not crank on it.. since i don't have a torque wrench i did it by feel.. took for ride, no leaks .. seems to be ok.. just wondering what to look out for if i did over tighten.. ? I'm assuming i could of possibly broke seal and therefore would have leak?

using 20W 50 dinno.. oil level is right in middle of glass.. I've been out today , approx 50 miles.. checked under bike. all dry no leaks.

Define a "couple of turns". As in two revolutions or a couple of tugs on the wrench.

Most instructions say hand tight and then 1/2 revolution. I like 3/4 revolution. If you did two revolutions you are way-tight.

Continuing on what Paul mentioned, I like 3/4 of a turn after (oiled) gasket contact. I mark the filters on the 4 “sides” and use it as a guide.
OM

I don't think a full turn vs 3/4 turn is tragic. It would be good to remember that it may be tight at the next change so it would be time for-

51x1eqRFb4L._AC_SY355_.jpg

in the removal process.

OM

Hand tight with a 320 grit grip

Been doing my own oil changes since 1977 and have always used the method my high school auto shop teacher showed me. A nice size piece of 320 grit sand paper (wet or dry type it doesn't matter) and give it a good twist by hand. about 15 cars and trucks over the years, a bunch of motorcycles and currently do the regular oil & filter changes on 4 oil heads and 5 hex heads I haven't had a leak yet and never had an issue taking the old one off. You just have to make sure that seal on the old filter doesn't stay stuck up on the motor. If its just dumb luck I will take it.

Oil Filter

I always only hand tighten filters no problem with leaks but usually need a wrench to remove.

Been doing my own oil changes since 1977 and have always used the method my high school auto shop teacher showed me. A nice size piece of 320 grit sand paper (wet or dry type it doesn't matter) and give it a good twist by hand. about 15 cars and trucks over the years, a bunch of motorcycles and currently do the regular oil & filter changes on 4 oil heads and 5 hex heads I haven't had a leak yet and never had an issue taking the old one off. You just have to make sure that seal on the old filter doesn't stay stuck up on the motor. If its just dumb luck I will take it.

That might work for some cars and bikes but you need a cup wrench to loosen the filter on Oilheads.
There is no hand access.

Many I have removed barely move even with a long slow steady pull with the cup wrench.
Most people over tighten them.

I'm starting to wonder how many on this thread have ever changed a filter on an oilhead 1100/1150.
Just sayin'

The OP has an oilhead.

Apply a thin layer of oil to the rubber seal, then torque the filter to 8 foot lbs (11nm) This setting is the same for the r1100, R1150, and r1200 engines. Everyone who does their own maintenance should have a torque wrench.
DP

If i can get my hand on 'em, snug, hand tight is all I have ever done. Oil filters do not need to be very tight.

The place I used to get my work truck serviced goes less than hand tight. I have visited with him during an oil change and he will spin the filter on and maybe half a turn, it will come off without tools.

Firm contact plus half a turn might be hand tight depending on the grip you have. I do want to see somebody install a filter on an R1100 or R1150 using hands without tools. Best of luck. :)

Back